PC > Mac Horror Stories? What you wish you’d known in advance?

You can likely move your MS Office software from you PC to your Mac and run it on Crossover.
Thanks. We have Office and I'm cheap but I don't want to continue with 8 year old versions, and I am fine with Pages & Keynote and Mac OC utilities. I'll get a newer version of Excel most likely, that will make DW happy... :blush:
At the start, I noticed a few things were different (like no backward delete key) so I had to watch short Apple online videos to learn how to do them.
I've looked at a couple YT vids and I've seen that and other small differences like closing a (last) data file doesn't close the app too (seems odd) - but it all seemed like stuff I could easily get used to.

Last edited:
We switched many years ago too and did get Office for the Mac and iPad so we’re still using Excel & Word. We had PC Quicken, which had a crappy Mac version, so we switched to iBank from Banktivity and really like it. All our Quicken data imported into Banktivity so we didn’t lose anything. You’ll enjoy the switch.

I use Numbers on my iPhone & iPad for simple stuff I want portable, but as far as I can tell my investing, financial planning & a few other spreadsheets won't run on Numbers. Several functions I use are missing, PivotTables just to name a big one - unless I've missed something.

I'm fine with Pages and Keynotes, so might as well stay in the "walled garden." Libre Spreadsheet might work, but my accountant (DW) has Excel down and learning ANYTHING new when she can just buy Excel - is a non-starter. Pick your battles IME...

Back when I worked in an environment that had both Mac and PC users on the same network, sharing complex Excel sheets from one to the other was one of our biggest headaches. I hope that MS has brought Mac Excel up to the same level as the PC version by now, but I would recommend that if you or DW are an Excel power user, you do some Googling on the differences and also do your own testing before you make the final jump. The problems I recall were around things like scenario manager; pivot tables and charts; linked objects; and any kind of VBA programming. There were probably other things we didn't use though.

LibreOffice and Google Sheets are also missing some Excel features and may not be a complete substitute if those happen to be features you depend on. For example, Google sheets only recently got the ability to sort and filter by cell color.

I have a new MacBook Air and I love it, very easy to use and lightweight. The Air replaced my 10 year old MacBook Pro that had started to freeze up. But I kept the Pro for the DVD player and it still plays DVDs great.

I bought a MacBook Air in 2013, and it's still going strong, except for the battery. I had the battery replaced but it still isn't the same as it was 8 years ago. I'm typing on it now. I have not updated the system past Mac Sierra, since subsequent systems are incompatible with some of the music software I use.

The latest system, Big Sur, is also not compatible with our old Microsoft Office license, and will only take the subscription Microsoft Office. DS found out the hard way. The only PC we have in the family is DS's gaming computer, which he built himself.

We switched to a Mac in 2006. I found the Apple software to be more intuitive and easy to use, but the young wife hated it because it did not function the same as her Windows based system at work and her Office files were not completely compatible if they were sent to her at home. Even little things bothered her, like the close window "x" was in the upper left corner instead of upper right. So, after about 6 years, we switched back.

If there is an Apple store close to you then consider signing up for the PC to Mac familiarization course (free). Only 1 hour and they can answer/demo all your questions.

When DW & I upgraded to a new iMac last year we purchased the student version of Office, rather than use Apple's version (Pages, Numbers, Keynote).

_B

We switched to a Mac in 2006. I found the Apple software to be more intuitive and easy to use, but the young wife hated it because it did not function the same as her Windows based system at work and her Office files were not completely compatible if they were sent to her at home. Even little things bothered her, like the close window "x" was in the upper left corner instead of upper right. So, after about 6 years, we switched back.
I understand that. If we were still working, still using MS Office at work, there's no way either of us would use Macs at home. But since we're both retired, we now have choice without the work-home conflict. :D

As I knew, looks like there's no cheap/easy way to have Excel alone.

• We either pay $280 ($140x2) for standalone Excel for 2 users.
  • We subscribe to Office 365 for $10/mo or $100/yr and get all their apps (when we really only want Excel) OR
  • We buy Office 365 Home & Student for $300 ($150x2).
Should be a cheaper legal way, but whatever. I've resisted subscriptions as often as possible, even though all providers are pushing them, and I don't want OneDrive...

Last edited:
Mac does not have "cut" feature. You can't do cut and paste with files in Finder or with text.

Actually Cut, Copy, and Paste have been on the Mac since day one (in 1984). Larry Tessler came up with the concept at Xerox Parc and brought it with him when he worked on the Mac's predecessor, the Lisa.

If you plan to backup to the iCloud - study it first.

Most things you can just "stop" backing up to iCloud and the items remain on your computer.

Not so with Documents - I read somewhere. If you just stop backing up documents to iCloud (and you don't have a backup on another drive to transfer back to your Mac) you will lose your documents. Completely Evil.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

If you plan to backup to the iCloud - study it first.

Most things you can just "stop" backing up to iCloud and the items remain on your computer.

Not so with Documents - I read somewhere. If you just stop backing up documents to iCloud (and you don't have a backup on another drive to transfer back to your Mac) you will lose your documents. Completely Evil.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
I'd plan to stay with local backups via external HD as I've done with PC's. Anything I'm missing? I only use iCloud selectively.

I only use iCloud for bare minimum. You can run out of the free allotment pretty easily but I stay under the limit with an iPhone, iTouch & iPad.

Everything else (iMac) is backed up locally by Time Machine to 2 WD external drives, 14 TB total split 10/4. I set a reminder to check drive health (SSD and external) periodically for a little peace of mind.

I'd plan to stay with local backups via external HD as I've done with PC's. Anything I'm missing? I only use iCloud selectively.

That's what I do--I use an external hard drive to back up my MacBook Air. No problems

• We subscribe to Office 365 for $10/mo or $365/yr and get all their apps (when we really only want Excel) OR
Should be a cheaper legal way, but whatever. I've resisted subscriptions as often as possible, even though all providers are pushing them, and I don't want OneDrive...

The cheapest option is a Microsoft 365 Family subscription for $99.99/yr for 6 users, which includes the installable office apps for your Macs and mobile devices. I'm not sure where you see pricing of $365/yr?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/buy/compare-all-microsoft-365-products

It may not be worth it if you're sure you won't use anything other than Excel. For me, I use several apps plus the 1TB of cloud storage for photos and backups, and I share the license with 4 family members, so I feel like we're getting our money's worth.

The cheapest option is a Microsoft 365 Family subscription for $99.99/yr for 6 users, which includes the installable office apps for your Macs and mobile devices. I'm not sure where you see pricing of $365/yr?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/buy/compare-all-microsoft-365-products

It may not be worth it if you're sure you won't use anything other than Excel. For me, I use several apps plus the 1TB of cloud storage for photos and backups, and I share the license with 4 family members, so I feel like we're getting our money's worth.
Whoops, brain cramp - thinking Microsoft 365. :blush: I edited my post :blush::blush::blush:

Last edited:
As I recall the only issue was getting my Microsoft emails into a format for Apple Mail. I had an extensive amount of emails and many with attachments that I did not want to lose in the process. I seem to recall using a conversion software package (OM something) to facilitate the conversion.

PC > Mac Horror Stories? What you wish you’d known in advance?

I was a long time Thunderbird user (for email) and had accumulated lots and lots of messages. I found that Apple Mail could import them without too much trouble.

So I had lots and lots of messages now in Apple Mail. I still don’t read or use them. I ask myself, “maybe you should be on ‘Hoarders’”?.

Decumulation is where it’s at, even on email.

200 GB iCloud backup is only $2.99/month. For MS Office 365 I pay $6.95/month.

My only regret of going PC to Mac is I wish I had never used a PC.

• We subscribe to Office 365 for $10/mo or $100/yr and get all their apps (when we really only want Excel) OR

Just buy an older, standalone version of Office...on my Mac I have Office 2011.

One question - where have Macs hidden the page up and down keys?

I LOVE this thread!

But, then again ... bought a 128K Mac around 1982 ... had fun with it upgrading ... remember getting my first hard drive - I think it was 32 MB and it was astonishing! All the programs of that era were tiny compared to now, but had the must have functionality that actually made everything then far simpler.

Military sadly insisted on godless DOS machines - then followup aerospace companies insisted on godless Windows (still DOS) machines - then it thankfully came to an end!

While I converted to godless Windows on home machines just for commonality between spouse and I, and I used corporate machine as my only device, I always knew a better day would come.

Before the better day, though, I tired of spending hours every month removing crap from my wife's godless Windows machine - they are magnets for crap. Bought her a MacBook in 2013, and then I quite wwwk in 2017. We are all Mac now, with iPads and iPhones, etc.

I use a 2017 MacBook Pro with a 35" curved Sceptre monitor - have become so accustomed to the center trackpad, my wife's separate keyboard and trackpad for her MacBook Pro with 34" flat monitor feels alien and clunky.

Have WD Passport external hard drives that we leave connected on both machines.

To the readability of godless Windows files - anything standard (read MS Office) is almost completely transparent - I would never try and convert them at once - just read them and convent when you need them.

BTW - I use the bejezuz out of my MacBook - it goes everywhere I go. It is beginning to show battery decline. My wife's older MacBook is every bit as fast, is quieter, has better keys, and has a perfect battery. Gonna replace the batteries in mine myself - should be interesting :)

Last edited:
One question - where have Macs hidden the page up and down keys?

Depends what model you have.
This is what my Bluetooth Mac keyboard looks like:

Attachments

• kb.jpg
    kb.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 19
I use Numbers on my iPhone & iPad for simple stuff I want portable, but as far as I can tell my investing, financial planning & a few other spreadsheets won't run on Numbers. Several functions I use are missing, PivotTables just to name a big one - unless I've missed something.

I think you are correct that Pivot Tables does not exist Numbers - I was so glad to leave Pivot tables behind when I left work. I always had to set it up backwards to what seemed intuitive to make it work. Don't miss it at all!

Numbers best two features for me are the ability to easily and automatically get stock prices and to have multiple windows on each page. Each window can be a spreadsheet, table, document, etc. Worst feature is setting up charts - just to do an xy chart is something I have to look up each time.

Back
Top Bottom