PC > Mac Horror Stories? What you wish you’d known in advance?

I think you are correct that Pivot Tables does not exist Numbers

They did add "categories" under the [-]format[/-] Organize button a few revisions ago, which I use to mimic what I used to do with pivot tables.

Numbers best two features for me are the ability to easily and automatically get stock prices...

+1 on stock prices, since that capability was eliminated from Excel quite a while ago. That was the biggest reason for me to re-create my financial spreadsheet in Numbers instead of buying Excel or using Open Office or Libre. I know, Google Sheets might do stock prices or so I was told at one time.

Besides, I enjoy learning how to do things a different way. And I figured I had already paid for Numbers as part of the purchase price of my shiny new machine.

... and to have multiple windows on each page. Each window can be a spreadsheet, table, document, etc. Worst feature is setting up charts - just to do an xy chart is something I have to look up each time.

Not "multiple windows", strictly speaking, but I totally agree with what you're getting at. My biggest hurdle in getting to know Numbers was the "aha" moment when I figured out that a new sheet (tab) doesn't come with any cells and is just a blank canvas until you insert a table, graph, text box, etc. I love the ability to have multiple tables above each other on a sheet that aren't locked into having the same cell widths and are totally independent. One of my biggest frustrations at the old w*rkplace was setting up nice tables in Excel only to have my ham-handed cellmates immediately screw them up because they never heard of tables or styles, and couldn't be bothered to learn because they "didn't have time for stuff like that."

[edited for correction]

Last edited:
Last edited:
My only regret about switching from PCs to Macs is I didn't do it sooner.

I think you are correct that Pivot Tables does not exist Numbers - I was so glad to leave Pivot tables behind when I left work. I always had to set it up backwards to what seemed intuitive to make it work. Don't miss it at all!
I can’t envision how to track detailed personal spending v budget without Pivot Tables, but I keep trying to imagine an easy alternative with Numbers.

Back
Top Bottom