Pearl Harbor Day............

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Lest we not forget: "A day that will live in infamy".........

We have much to thank our military for.........:)

Yes, we do......
sFl_AMERICAN.gif

I can never forget, being from Hawaii. At my high school there, all classes were cancelled each December 7th and instead we would have all day religious services, memorials, and speeches by those who experienced the attack and described to us their horrific experiences on the day that will live in infamy.

That was back in the 1960's but I would imagine that is still the case, although with fewer survivor speeches, naturally.

It always seems odd to me that to many here on the mainland, it is just another day.

Thank heavens for those who fought and for the many who gave their lives, to defend us at that time and on into the future.

Last edited:
May all of those who lost their lives on that tragic day, rest in peace. Though they are gone, they are certainly not forgotten!!! :'(

Dec. 7th has always been kind of a hallowed day in our home, due in part to my Dad's own service with the Navy in the Pacific during WWII, and also due to the fact that their were several from our area who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor that day. He always told us that the two days that he absolutely refused to work on were Veterans' Day and Dec. 7th. And he never did!!!

On a side note, one of our local WWII Marine Corps. veterans is the one who helped spearhead the effort to get congress to create "National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day" as an official holiday. Sadly he passed away earlier this year at age 83....a fine man, and a good friend.

From his obituary:
"He proudly served his country in the United States Marine Corps during World War II. He was a member of the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, AMVETS, the Marine Corps League, Catholic War Vets, Polish War Vets and the Knights of Columbus. He served for 12 years on the County Board. [He] was quite active politically and was the leader in the campaign for the recognition of Pearl Harbor Day on the calendar. He was successful in that effort and was present for the signing of the declaration by President Bill Clinton."

Not to be the skunk at the garden party, but I suppose I have to wonder why we make a big deal of Pearl Harbor and not, say, Antietam. I suspect that my kids' generation will have less comprehension than I do.

Dec. 7 has always just been Dad's birthday to me.

Freely admitted on all things related to adulation of the military.

I suppose we can pause and remember lives tragically lost in any war without it constituting adulation of the military. We are more likely to want to commemorate things within living memory. Hence, Pearl Harbor and not Antietam, even though the latter was far bloodier.

Interestingly enough, on Friday evening I was out to dinner with my wife and we met an old Navy veteran who was at Pearl Harbor that day.

I can never forget having lost my father on the 50 anniversary of the attack. I always take stock on certain days of the year and this is one. God bless all of the troops for all they have done in the past and continue to do now and into the future.

Back
Top Bottom