Pepto bismo endorsement

97guns

Full time employment: Posting here.
On a recent trip to Vegas on our last night there we went for BBQ and had a rib platter, the wife ate most of the pork ribs and I ate a big beef rib that was greasy as heck, ended up running for the toilet every couple hours that night with our flight out next morning. Morning came and I ran down to the gift shop and paid $10 for a bottle, best $10 I ever spent, immediately after taking them my stomach settled and made the trip home error free.

I’ve used pepto in the past with the exact same results, I usually travel with it but it’s been years since I’ve needed it and never re stocked after using the last of it, now it’s back in the arsenal

Yep, love pepto (or the generic version)...

I will say if you buy liquid do NOT buy the cherry... it was horrible tasting... I actually like the regular taste..

But, you can buy pills now and not taste it at all...

Immodium for me. Carry a bottle in the car in case my Crohns acts up

On a recent trip to Vegas on our last night there we went for BBQ and had a rib platter, the wife ate most of the pork ribs and I ate a big beef rib that was greasy as heck, ended up running for the toilet every couple hours that night with our flight out next morning. Morning came and I ran down to the gift shop and paid $10 for a bottle, best $10 I ever spent, immediately after taking them my stomach settled and made the trip home error free.

I’ve used pepto in the past with the exact same results, I usually travel with it but it’s been years since I’ve needed it and never re stocked after using the last of it, now it’s back in the arsenal

The joke when we were kids was that you would increase your upset stomach symptoms if you took Pepto.

But, that, of course, would be because you'd already have a virus that was going to do that to you anyway!

Didn't do anything when I was fed rotting mayo with a side of salmonella. 🤣

Last edited:
I just wish they made a version that included a treatment for intestinal gas. That would make it the perfect GI drug for me.
(and I like the taste ! there used to be some Canada mints that tasted the same -- they were my fav)

To OP. I think it was likely that an earlier meal that did you in. It takes about 18 hours for a meal to break down (and start wreaking havoc) in your digestive system. At least that's what my doc told me a few years ago.

But yeah, Pepto's a thing.

Just for those people looking for the product on the basis of this endorsement: the name is Pepto-Bismol ... with an L (lower case)

And, you should avoid taking Pepto-Bismol if you are taking any of the following drugs:

Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors like Diamox (acetazolamide) and methazolamide
Medications for gout, like Alloprim or Zyloprim (allopurinol), Uloric (febuxostat), and Krystexxa (pegloticase)
If you are allergic to Pepto-Bismol, salicylates, or related products, you should not take Pepto-Bismol.

Talk to your pharmacist or doctor about drug allergies if you have a concern before taking this or any other medication.

You can get a pack of 24 generic pepto tablets for $1 at walmart. Easy to pack a few in your toiletry kit when traveling and just chew them up if needed. It helped a few times when we spent a few months traveling through Mexico a couple years ago (for the kids; I was fine :) ).

So why does it seem to always hit you the night before you travel home?
Had it hit all 4 of us in Fez, Morocco. My buddy knocked on our door early to say his wife was sick, while I was hugging the commode! Thankfully she had packed some Cipro. Had to catch a later train and ferry back to Spain but we survived. What really made it interesting was that was the day after the Benghazi attack. We all quickly became Canadians.

So why does it seem to always hit you the night before you travel home?

Yeah, we noticed that too. It was amazing how many of our foreign coworkers would come down with something on their last day, and have to do a couple days layover in Paris or somewhere like that while they recovered. It's sort of like the Monday morning flu.

.......Thankfully she had packed some Cipro. ........

For years, that was my ace in the hole travel drug. Since then I’ve learned that it has some very nasty, permanent side effects. Use with extreme caution.

To OP. I think it was likely that an earlier meal that did you in. It takes about 18 hours for a meal to break down (and start wreaking havoc) in your digestive system. At least that's what my doc told me a few years ago.

But yeah, Pepto's a thing.

I think that is food poison... eating a lot of fat can do it pretty quickly... I remember eating chili at one place and having problems in a couple of hours...

I've had issues with GERD in the past, and now I take OTC Omeprazole for this. My doc suggested I keep a bottle of gaviscon liquid at home for "emergencies" when I had really bad reflux. The stuff basically lines the stomach and esophogus and provides temporary relief from heartburn. It is very expensive compared to other products, but works great. They make it in a chewable tablet too...weird stuff...as you chew it, it foams up in your mouth and you're swallowing foam lol.

Now that I have my GERD fairly under control (lost some weight and avoid certain foods), I've cut my dosage of Omeprazole in half and only use the Gaviscon about once a year.

When going out of USA, I start taking a swig of 3x strength liquid Pepto 2-3 days in advance & continue till I return. Never have had a problem & don't intend to find out if Pepto is the reason.

Back
Top Bottom