Personal style

Yeah, retirement really changed me. It used to be that I would wake up in the morning and know exactly where I was going. Now I wake up most mornings and have no idea where the hell I am.

I work from home so I'm mainly shorts/jeans, t-shirts/polos and sandals/tennis shoes anyway so I don't see much changing when I FIRE.

On the other hand...what to do, what to do with that man when he's over that barrel:confused: :whistle:

I would suggest to all women who don't have their men over a barrel, try to look pretty.
Ha

When not working, I cut down shaving to about once every 4 days.
I've found that if I shave on the same days (say, Mondays and Thursdays) then it's a lot easier to keep track of which day of the week it is.

Armando Manzanero and Roy Orbison......:cool:! You sure know how to mix things. I´ll take Roy any all day:)!

Not me. I think Adoro is the most beautiful popular song ever written.

No hay ayuda para mí, soy romantico. :)

Ha

This morning I returned an item to a friend's house and she asked what I had going on today since I was so dressed up. I was wearing denim capris and a knit shirt. She was not being sacastic.

Oh dear, I guess that does say something about my personal style when denim capris qualify as dressed up!

Comfort and ease. That about sums up my retired style. Stopped coloring my hair. Gave away the suits and work clothes. Pared down to only 2 pr of heels. I was afraid to go natural on the hair but I've received so many compliments that I'm so happy I did. Is it possible that I can actually look younger with gray hair? I guess I must since people tell me I look much better. And I don't miss that coloring process (YUK!) one bit.
The surprising thing is how people relate to me now. Somehow the gray hair puts them at ease.
We're planning to move to FL from Chicago next year so I'm shedding more clothes and stuff. Heavy woolen clothes, boots, winter coats and anything I don't want to pay to move is leaving the premises. It's the only way I can cope with the overwhelming task of packing. One box at a time. Give away 2 items for every item I buy. For everything I give away, a load lifts from my shoulders.

We're planning to move to FL from Chicago next year so I'm shedding more clothes and stuff. Heavy woolen clothes, boots, winter coats and anything I don't want to pay to move is leaving the premises. It's the only way I can cope with the overwhelming task of packing. One box at a time. Give away 2 items for every item I buy. For everything I give away, a load lifts from my shoulders.

Keep a few winter things for visiting Chicago . It is almost impossible to find real winter clothes in Florida especially boots and gloves. I have a small wardrobe that I keep just for trips up North . A must have is a leather jacket or rain coat with a zip in liner for travel . We do wear sweaters in January & February but only cotton ones . Panty hose are a endangered species in Florida where as pedicures are a must . :)

Keep a few winter things for visiting Chicago . It is almost impossible to find real winter clothes in Florida especially boots and gloves. I have a small wardrobe that I keep just for trips up North . A must have is a leather jacket or rain coat with a zip in liner for travel . We do wear sweaters in January & February but only cotton ones . Panty hose are a endangered species in Florida where as pedicures are a must . :)

Good ideas! Thanks. To get out of the heat and humidity of FL, our plan is to rent a cabin/condo in CO in the mtns for Aug/Sept. It should be reasonable since it's not ski season.That way, we'll get our taste of fall, even some snow, and cool nights. And, I can use my boots, gloves, sweaters and other cold weather favorites. We love camping so CO beckons.

Change of style? Well, when I was working I felt I had to keep dying my hair, but, once I stopped working, I bleached it 6 times to get all the color out. Don't do this as my hair actually broke off in handfuls; however, I did let it grow out after that and it is now a silver gray and long. I get more compliments on it now than I ever did when it was dyed.
I also let it grow. When you dye your hair, long hair is a drag to dye. But now that I've let it go silver I've let it grow long. Wear it in a ponytail with bangs most of the time and once in awhile put it in a hip looking bunlike thingie. Ez to do and quick, and, amazingly, people seem to like it. Go figure?:blush:

I also let it grow. When you dye your hair, long hair is a drag to dye. But now that I've let it go silver I've let it grow long. Wear it in a ponytail with bangs most of the time and once in awhile put it in a hip looking bunlike thingie. Ez to do and quick, and, amazingly, people seem to like it. Go figure?:blush:

That is because you've probably achieved that silver hair yoga look that I would die for !:)

Like others have said, I didn't shave every day after I retired and then decided to grow a beard. Trim it twice a week which keeps it short. If I wear a shirt that has to be buttoned, it feels odd so t-shirts and polo shirts are the norm now. At first I wondered what I could do with the time I saved from not shaving and then I realized it didn't matter.

That is because you've probably achieved that silver hair yoga look that I would die for !:)

I was thinking the same thing. Flowing silver locks... Oh, those yoga models - grrrr. I can't grow my hair long. I've tried several times and it just looks horrible - fine and limp and not nearly as thick as it used to be.

Good for you Orchid....sounds like you've found your style. I've lost mine and can't seem to find it.:ROFLMAO:

Well, thanks folks. What has surprised me most is that nobody every complimented me when I kept my hair dyed and short. Ever. And those ^%&$!!! haircuts/colors cost me alot. Again, ALOT $$$$!
Now I've let it grow long, slop it up in a ponytail and let it go...and I get compliments from hairdressers, just folks and even my girlfriend's husband told me it looked "distinguished." It surprises me each time I hear that still.
And to think of ALL that money I blew actually trying to make my hair look good. Like I said, go figure:confused::whistle: Heck, if I'd known this I'd let myself look like a slob years ago...chuckle, chuckle, chuckle!

Can't speak for happy2bretired but, for me, I know I still got it...I just can't remember what it was..ha!:LOL:

The pic on the left is before ER, the right one after ER. :blink:

Attachments

• norm1.jpg
    norm1.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 158
  • norm2.jpg
    norm2.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 160
Before FIRE...my style could best be described as Asexual Engineer. :LOL:
If I looked too "girly", they would not have taken me seriously. I always dressed nicely but conservatively. Slacks and mellow colored and patterned blouses. I wore a lab coat a lot of the time. Jewelry near DC power supplies, test equipment and optical fiber was a definite no-no.

After FIRE...I am having a ball wearing miniskirts, sundresses, jewelry, perfume, makeup, heels, the works. My fave Bostonian is a fan of real stockings (not pantyhose), so I have invested in the...um...things needed to wear those. :blush: I am reutilizing a lot of my work clothes, but I am using wilder combinations and lots of accessories.

Just for fun, I recently used a non-permanent deep auburn hair color at home. He mixed and dispensed the bottle, I did the smearing in. :ROFLMAO: It turned out very dark. I will try a lighter red next time. It covered up the little bit of grey I had. It will rinse out after about a month.

After FIRE...I am having a ball wearing miniskirts, sundresses, jewelry, perfume, makeup, heels, the works. My fave Bostonian is a fan of real stockings (not pantyhose), so I have invested in the...um...things needed to wear those. :blush: I am reutilizing a lot of my work clothes, but I am using wilder combinations and lots of accessories.

Just for fun, I recently used a non-permanent deep auburn hair color at home. He mixed and dispensed the bottle, I did the smearing in. :ROFLMAO: It turned out very dark. I will try a lighter red next time. It covered up the little bit of grey I had. It will rinse out after about a month.

I second Orchid Flowers You go girl and have a ball . :)

Back
Top Bottom