Pets That Left Us

Idnar7

Recycles dryer sheets
We recently had to put down our wonderful dog. I am 72 and DWF is 70. We can't see getting another pet and having to leave it or letting another pet pass. My DWF is despondent on losing her "baby" and had to go on anti-depressants. She couldn't have children and pets were her "kids". Wondering what others do to fill the void? We had three dogs and mutiple cats. I miss our lost pet too, but not like my DWF.

We lost a collie in late 2019. Figured we could try pet-less for first time since 1990. Lasted 3 months and got another collie puppy.

Attachments

• 20191022_104824.jpg
    20191022_104824.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200915_084137.jpg
    20200915_084137.jpg
    590.3 KB · Views: 56
There is no good answer I know of. We had a pair of Shelties for 12 & 16-1/2 years. Took us 1-1/2 years to get over the loss and get another pair, they lasted 14 & 16 years. It was even tougher after those two, that was over 5 years ago. We miss them all terribly, they improved our lives every day, but we haven’t been able to bring ourselves to start up again as the end is so tough. We’re away from home more and we travel more, so we tell ourselves we don’t want to have dogs only to leave them in kennels more often…

One thought, my sister has fostered a series of pets, might be another way to go? She gets attached but they’ve all gone to good homes so she can live with that. You miss them, but there’s another to keep her entertained, and she doesn’t get as attached. And the commitment is much shorter so you can change course if necessary.

Attachments

• 915CE83D-9B71-4EE2-B6AE-95BE3CF75954.jpeg
    915CE83D-9B71-4EE2-B6AE-95BE3CF75954.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 53
  • F16FB25C-356A-41C3-8FCC-57284B7D0251.jpeg
    F16FB25C-356A-41C3-8FCC-57284B7D0251.jpeg
    600.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss.

I wish I had words of wisdom; but I was a wreck after loosing my beloved kitties; and can't even bare to think about loosing the "pup" I have inherited. They are members of the family . . .

Perhaps try to keep your DW distracted with short activities, although do not expect too much to soon from her (as she is in mourning) and it will take time.

Last edited:
There is no good answer I know of. We had a pair of Shelties for 12 & 16-1/2 years. Took us 1-1/2 years to get over the loss and get another pair, they lasted 14 & 16 years. It was even tougher after those two, that was over 5 years ago. We miss them all terribly, they improved our lives every day, but we haven’t been able to bring ourselves to start up again as the end is so tough. We’re away from home more and we travel more, so we tell ourselves we don’t want to have dogs only to leave them in kennels more often…

One thought, my sister has fostered a series of pets, might be another way to go? She gets attached but they’ve all gone to good homes so she can live with that. You miss them, but there’s another to keep her entertained, and she doesn’t get as attached. And the commitment is much shorter so you can change course if necessary.
When fostering, are all their pet expenses - food, vet, etc covered? Or do foster parents have to pay for some of that out of pocket? Always thought that would be a great way to continue enjoying pets without the heartwrenching aging issues - and also no worries about what happens to my "babies" as I myself age out or pass away.

I wrestle with this question too. Adore dogs and cats and would miss their presence, but also not sure another 18-20 year commitment is the way to go either after retirement.

You can always get an older dog from a shelter, doesn't have to be a puppy.

We recently had to put down our wonderful dog. I am 72 and DWF is 70. We can't see getting another pet and having to leave it or letting another pet pass. My DWF is despondent on losing her "baby" and had to go on anti-depressants. She couldn't have children and pets were her "kids". Wondering what others do to fill the void? We had three dogs and mutiple cats. I miss our lost pet too, but not like my DWF.

In my case, I decided that if I didn't have a pet, I wouldn't have a pet die and I wouldn't have to go through that torment again. Also, vet bills are insanely expensive these days compared with years ago. And then, I'm 74, and what happens to the pet if I croak? That would be so sad for the pet.

So, as much as I may want another toy poodle or kitty, I haven't had one for years. Frank understands and he is really smart - - he won't even take me to a pet store to look at puppies because he knows I would bring one home. :ROFLMAO:

We just got a new pair of kittens last month. With any luck, they may live 15 years or more, so they are likely to be the last ones for us.

Idnar7 I am sorry for your loss.
I lost 4 from old age and 3 eventually got old and sick and had to be put down. Either way each time this 6'1" 230# old man cried like a baby. I swore I would never have another dog or cat but now have 3 indoor and 1 feral outdoor cats. I personally rescued all of them because they never would have lasted much longer on their own. One is 14, one is about 4 and the other maybe 8. I am afraid the youngest might outlive me and I have to make plans that she will be taken care of.
Something I may do at a later date if I find myself pet free is find the oldest abandoned socialized cat and adopt. If not maybe foster. Either way I would use a rescue that in the event I die first they would take it back and find a responsible person to take care of it.
The pain from losing a 4 legged family member is real and difficult but I hope you will look back and realize both you and your wonderful dog were lucky to find each other and have those years together.

Cheers!

You can always get an older dog from a shelter, doesn't have to be a puppy.
That’s a great idea. We enjoyed our dogs as puppies, and adolescents, but they were sweetest in their senior years - best of times even though they’re a little more dependent.

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your dog [mention]Idnar7 [/mention]

I had to let go of my little boy in my avatar almost 2 years ago and I still miss him greatly.
His last 9 months were a lot of work but he was always worth it. If only it had kept him alive and happy I would have gladly continued.

My concern about getting another animal is more about availability of a vet in an emergency.
I had to take my little guy in the middle of the night due to a horrible long lasting seizure. We had a 24/7 emergency vet hospital then but it closed a few months after that.
The closest is now about 45 minutes away.
It scares me what could happen.

I’m not worried about what would happen to a dog should I die first- way too many animal lovers in my family to not take it in.

I do look at pictures of dogs available in my area and I’m sure I’ll break down and throw caution to the wind one of these days.
I really miss the companionship of a dog.

Yeah, me too.

I've lived with dogs since I was 5. Yeah, lotta dogs. And yeah, it hurts real bad every time I have to drive them to their "last" vet visit. And I grieve for a while because I miss them so much.

But then, I think, why not give another shelter dog a forever home? Back to the dog pound to save another.

Really, what would your departed 4 legged friend want most? Maybe after I go you can do the same for another of my kind?

To try to live without pain is trying not to live. And the clock is ticking on those old shelter dogs...

Sorry for your loss. Fostering is a great way to add an animal to your life for a limited period of time. Most shelters provide the food and medical care. The foster coordinator is a contact person in the event of any urgent issues that arise. Shelters appreciate having foster homes to alleviate overcrowding. It also helps to socialize animals away from the stress of being in a shelter. Please check into this with your local shelters.

I am so sorry for your loss and the pain that you both are going through.

We have had many cats and dogs over the years. We also had fish, bunny and a goat. We ended up with five cats at one time. I swore after they were gone that we were not going to have any more animals. We finally lost our last one and we missed our cats very much. We lasted several months and ended up taking our DD's cat. She did not like the 2 dogs that my DD's family got. Daisy is around 13 or 14 yrs old and loves the quiet of our house and loves us. Our son lives next door to us and will take care of her whenever we are gone. I insist on paying him. Our DD says that if we ever decide to get rid of her (I don't think she wants to say if we were to die) that she wants her back. Hopefully, we will outlive her. Then we will be back to missing our cats again.

We said the same thing too but in about 3 or 4 months we got another to fill the void. Each has been special and we remember them all

19 years ago I got my first dog and was hooked. For many years I rescued older Maltese and often had 4. I will never be without a dog. I have 8 urns that someday will be mixed with my ashes. Now I live in a condo and have 2 Maltese. When one dies I will get another. My plan is I will adopt the oldest small dog at the shelter and rinse and repeat until I die.

Vets are expensive here but my fur babies are worth every penny. Although I grieve greatly when one dies I honor the pet that has passed by saving another’s life. It’s what my passed dog would want me to do.

I like Robbie’s suggestion of an older shelter dog. We lost our last dog about 9 months ago and DH and I agreed we would wait to get another pet so we can prioritize global travel while we are still young and healthy enough to do it. When we slow down, I want to adopt another pet that is at least middle-aged so unlikely to outlive us.

When we lost the first dog that DW and I had as our own in 2000, I only went about a month before I had to have another one. When that dog was 13, we got a second, so when she died a year later, we were not left dogless.
Bonnie and Katie in 2014.

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 26
I've tried to go dogless a couple of times after losing older labs but it never sticks. I did manage to go well over a year before acquiring my present lab. As mentioned by others, seems like an older dog or foster might be a good solution.

I've tried to go dogless a couple of times after losing older labs but it never sticks. I did manage to go well over a year before acquiring my present lab. As mentioned by others, seems like an older dog or foster might be a good solution.
We like Labs too... Someone once told us, don't expect your next Lab to be the same as the one you had before. We have had several now and found that to be absolutely true. They all have had very different personalities. One thing they all have in common, is they like to eat, a lot.

We like Labs too... Someone once told us, don't expect your next Lab to be the same as the one you had before. We have had several now and found that to be absolutely true. They all have had very different personalities. One thing they all have in common, is they like to eat, a lot.

+1 on the differing personalities as well as "like to eat, a lot". My current pup is the first female lab for me, and before being spayed she did not seem overly interested in food so I thought maybe females were not as food oriented. That changed completed after the spay - she now likes to eat just as much (or maybe more so if that's possible) as any of my previous labs.

We don't have children either. After 3 years of marriage, we got a sable German Shepard. The police dept. wanted her too, but we won. 12 years with this smart, loyal beauty. When we lost her it was devastating, beyond heartbreak. Then a sweet retired guide dog came along. She was the joy of our lives but will forever miss our Shepard.

Now after 39 years, we've kept our love of dogs and continued to have them as part of our family. Two labs, until one passed. You have to remember, you gave those precious children a wonderful and loving life. They will always be there. They love unconditionally. A friend said once, dog spelled backward is god. They will always love you. I believe we will share our home, love, and lives with dogs until we die. Yes, they pass on too early. Cherish the time you have with them.

Thanks for all the heartfelt replies. Our dog was an older rescue dog. We only had her 5 years. We always said she adopted us. It only took her about 5 minutes to fit in like she knew us for years. On Monday mornings my wife does volunteer calling. She takes grocery orders for shut-ins and other volunteers do the shopping and delivery. Anyway when Chelsea would hear her talking she would walk in the computer room and lay next to her the whole time she talked. Later on she would just tell Chelsea "time to go to work" and she would immediately go and lay down next to the chair. Never bothered her, just helped. For all three of our dogs, when the time came, they just laid down and wouldn't get up. Gave you that look with their eyes that said "it's time". Give your pets an extra pet/hug from us.

Dogs mourn too! Picture says it all!
9k=

Attachments

• 9947.jpg
    9947.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom