Pfizer Covid vaccine approved by FDA

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Today the FDA approved the Pfizer vaccine for use by individuals age 16 and older. The EUA continues in effect for people ages 12-15. The announcement is here https://www.fda.gov/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/comirnaty-and-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine
On August 23, 2021, the FDA approved the first COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine has been known as the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine, and will now be marketed as Comirnaty, for the prevention of COVID-19 disease in individuals 16 years of age and older. The vaccine also continues to be available under emergency use authorization (EUA), including for individuals 12 through 15 years of age and for the administration of a third dose in certain immunocompromised individuals.

Honestly, Pfizer could have done a better job with the name.

Comirnaty? Ugh!

Well everyone is going to continue to call it the Pfizer or BioNTech vaccine.

I found this
The name is coined from Covid-19 immunity, and then embeds the mRNA in the middle, which is the platform technology, and as a whole the name is meant to evoke the word community,” Scott Piergrossi, Brand Institute president of operations and communications, said.
I didn’t get any of that and even after reading it a couple of times, still don’t. Way too much thinking in that name.

Good thing I got the Moderna vaccine. :)

Today the FDA approved the Pfizer vaccine for use by individuals age 16 and older. The EUA continues in effect for people ages 12-15. The announcement is here https://www.fda.gov/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/comirnaty-and-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine

Honestly, Pfizer could have done a better job with the name.

I agree.

What are these guys thinking when they name a drug? You have the most sought after drug in the WORLD, and THAT's the best you can do? :facepalm:

Wonderful news.

I'm not sure it will change my cousin's mind about it though. She is convinced the vax makes you magnetic, despite my showing her that my injection site does not hold up metal objects. (I have no idea where she gets her info. I have stopped asking).

I agree.

What are these guys thinking when they name a drug?

My favorite name for a drug I regularly take is Pretenda. It replaces all those drugs advertised on TV for unhealthy conditions that I don't have. :)

Last edited:
Approved for age 16 and above. I assume the 12-15 group does not have a long enough exposure to the vaccine to meet normal standards. IIRC, historically any bad effects show up in the first six months of a vaccine.

Last edited:
I wonder if "FDA approved" means that it can legally be Federally-mandated, at least for certain occupations, or to participate in certain activities?

I'd assume approval gives the Gov a bit more authority, right?

Let’s not speculate on mandates, please. Past efforts have ended badly.

Wonderful news.

I'm not sure it will change my cousin's mind about it though. She is convinced the vax makes you magnetic, despite my showing her that my injection site does not hold up metal objects. (I have no idea where she gets her info. I have stopped asking).

I personally feel I'm more attractive since getting the vaccine ;) . Maybe that is what she meant to say :LOL:

I personally feel I'm more attractive since getting the vaccine ;) . Maybe that is what she meant to say :LOL:

And what's so bad about being magnetic anyway? It would certainly help keep me from dropping nuts, bolts, screws and nails when I'm working on stuff. No more problem with the last one of that size rolling to the most inaccessible spot.

And what's so bad about being magnetic anyway? It would certainly help keep me from dropping nuts, bolts, screws and nails when I'm working on stuff. No more problem with the last one of that size rolling to the most inaccessible spot.

Maybe you can even charge your iPhone!

I found out that I am highly magnetic only when I am extra sweaty. :2funny:

I am seeing reports* now that with Delta they’ve finally figured out it’s twice as likely to cause hospitalization as prior variants. This is in addition to being far more contagious.

I think we were very, very lucky to get so many people in the US vaccinated before the Delta variant took over. Hospitals in many areas are overwhelmed as it is. I just can’t imagine how bad it would have been without the vaccine.

*reports:
The Delta variant carries a higher risk of hospitalization, a study finds.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/27/health/delta-variant-hospitalization-risk.html
Delta Variant More Than Doubles Risk Of Covid Hospitalization, U.K. Study Finds
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemima...spitalization-uk-study-finds/?sh=d35062c5f335

Last edited:
The FDA approval of Pfizer seems to be having a positive effect on vaccination rates in my area. The local paper today published a list of employers that are requiring vaccinations and it included a long list of many of the biggest employers in the area. The paper also listed bars/restaurants/music venues that are requiring a vaccine card for entry and the list grows everyday. YAH!

On a personal note we had one family member who had not been vaccinated (for personal "freedom" issues) and many of us in the family had tried to talk her into getting vaccinated with no luck. He doctor highly encouraged her to get vaccinated (she is a cancer survivor) but she would still not get the vaccine. Just this week her employer issued a vaccination mandate and told her that her employment would be terminated if she was not fully vaccinated by October 1. She got her first dose of Pfizer yesterday. YAH!

The FDA approval of Pfizer seems to be having a positive effect on vaccination rates in my area. The local paper today published a list of employers that are requiring vaccinations and it included a long list of many of the biggest employers in the area. The paper also listed bars/restaurants/music venues that are requiring a vaccine card for entry and the list grows everyday. YAH!

On a personal note we had one family member who had not been vaccinated (for personal "freedom" issues) and many of us in the family had tried to talk her into getting vaccinated with no luck. He doctor highly encouraged her to get vaccinated (she is a cancer survivor) but she would still not get the vaccine. Just this week her employer issued a vaccination mandate and told her that her employment would be terminated if she was not fully vaccinated by October 1. She got her first dose of Pfizer yesterday. YAH!

Great news on all fronts!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom