Plan for Exit 2024

Excellent job in Q1, Exit. One red blip on your chart and right back to green. I'm sure your wife will land a new contract soon. Good luck in Q2.

I didn't realize you were turning 50 this year. Any plans for a milestone celebration/vacation?

Last edited:
dvalley, your 7/7/$31k is more than reasonable to achieve. I think you are doing better at savings already, right? You can get to your target faster, of cause if market will cooperate.

Stapels, thanks for your kind words and yes, we are both turning 50 this year, nothing specific planned yet but depending on how job loss situation will be resolved we might go to Europe at the end of the summer.

Q2 2019 update

- Market was good for us in Q2 also, not as good as in Q1 but still had decent gain across all accounts and we hit our all time high NW of $1,597k, just little shy of $1.6M
- Investable assets got boost of $67k, cash went down by $4k, total NW change +$63k, not complaining at all :D
- Good news- we are back to 2 paychecks as of May :)
- New employer benefits include
  • 401k with Fidelity and company match of 3%, plan has option for After-tax contribution, we never had it before, will need to research on how to use it for Mega "back door" Roth.
  • HSA with no match
  • 6 week of paid time off, I am jealous ....
  • No ESPP
- So far so good, plan is to max out that new 401k as no HCE limit set for this year, and we are not sure if it will hit or not in 2020.

- We have 20 Qs to go... Exactly 5 years left....:blush:

Attachments

• AVA$-Q2-19.png
    AVA$-Q2-19.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 224
Great update, and I'm glad to hear your wife landed a new gig. I wouldn't be surprised to see you guys reaching your FI goals before 2024.

Is the Europe trip back on the books? :baconflag:

Thanks Staples! and Yes we booked our trip already for August, looking forward to it :)

brokrken, thanks! your Q2 was also very strong, congrats!!!

Sounds like you're on track, possibly even ahead. Congrats!

Great work Exit! I’ll be following you because we have very similar numbers and timetables for FIRE. I hope to join you for the 2024 party! :dance:

On mega back door Roth aka 401K after tax contributions:
You can contribute total of 56K per year in to 401K including all sources. I break mine down like the following:
pretax maxout (19K) + company match + after-tax contributions = 56K

dvalley, Thanks!
Target for end of the year was $1625K, so currently are are looking good to hit it, but market is being at all time high makes me a little bit nervous ... On other hand any downturn is welcome right now as we are starting to plow $4k/month into new $401k to max it out, would be nice to not pay top prices for investments.

Last edited:
RxMan, thanks! Do you have any threads where you post your progress? I would be interested to follow you also

Last edited:
pjigar, thanks for posting about After-tax 401k. Can I ask you some questions?

How often do you convert to Roth 401k?
Reading some IRS rules it seems like when converting and if there are some earnings - I need to pay taxes on the those. To avoid it I see 2 ways :
1 - convert as soon as possible that no earnings would be accumulated, but that would be every 2 weeks, Fidelity plan allows unlimited number "in-Plan"conversions
2 - convert at the same time into both Roth and Traditional 401k, contribution to Roth, earnings to Traditional, not sure if plan allows that though, need to experiment, may try at the end of the year with small amount and see how all will flow into tax return.

How do you do it?
Anyone else with experience- please chime too in :)

Last edited:
RxMan, thanks! Do you have any threads where you post your progress? I would be interested to follow you also

Not yet but I’m considering starting one. It’s nice too see your progress. I’m hoping that these forums will help keep me motivated to continue to save.

pjigar, thanks for posting about After-tax 401k. Can I ask you some questions?

How often do you convert to Roth 401k?
Reading some IRS rules it seems like when converting and if there are some earnings - I need to pay taxes on the those. To avoid it I see 2 ways :
1 - convert as soon as possible that no earnings would be accumulated, but that would be every 2 weeks, Fidelity plan allows unlimited number "in-Plan"conversions
2 - convert at the same time into both Roth and Traditional 401k, contribution to Roth, earnings to Traditional, not sure if plan allows that though, need to experiment, may try at the end of the year with small amount and see how all will flow into tax return.

How do you do it?
Anyone else with experience- please chime too in :)
Most 401k plans won't allow "in-service" transfer out of plan. Mine doesn't with last two employers. You typically transfer out of 401k when you change job or if you turn 59.5. One shot. I do trustee-to-trustee transfer once every time I change job. After-tax contributions (principal only) goes to Roth IRA, entire balance of Roth 401k (contributions and gains) also goes to Roth IRA and reminder (pretax contributions+gains and gains on post-tax contributions) goes to new employer 401k (or you can choose rollover IRA). I choose 401k for later so I can do easy backdoor contributions to Roth IRA.

About tax on gain: If you transfer any pretax gains/contribution to Roth IRA then you create a tax event. I simply avoid the tax event so can do everything in onc shot. If your plan allows in-service transfers out of 401k the I would simply transfer out post-tax contributions every quarter or a year to Roth IRA.

pjigar, thanks for the answers!
Yes, looks like plan is allowing unlimited number of in-service transfers but only for After-tax part. Problem that I see - I can not separates contribution and earnings and need to transfer all of it, then earnings have to go to Traditional IRA which will prohibit me to continue doing back-door Roth without incurring additional taxes.

Other option is to try to do transfer not outside of the plan but do in-plan conversion that after-tax money will go to the ROTH part of the same 401k and earnings will go to the pretax part of that plan - but I am not sure if that is allowed or not, plan document says that we can also do unlimited in-plan conversions, but it does not specify if it is applicable to the after-tax contributions also.

I guess I need to research more or may be just try with small amount.

My current 401k allows withdrawals of post-tax contributions and earnings. When I pull out the post-tax contribution, I also take out the portion of earnings attributed to it. I roll the entire amount to a Roth IRA and just pay taxes on the earnings portion, which had only been a couple hundred dollars of earnings so far for me, but I’ve not been doing this for very long.

MoneyChic, thanks for your input! May I ask how often do you pull money out? And while in the plan, do you invest or just keep in cash? Talking about only after-tax portion.

pjigar, thanks for the answers!
Yes, looks like plan is allowing unlimited number of in-service transfers but only for After-tax part. Problem that I see - I can not separates contribution and earnings and need to transfer all of it, then earnings have to go to Traditional IRA which will prohibit me to continue doing back-door Roth without incurring additional taxes.

Other option is to try to do transfer not outside of the plan but do in-plan conversion that after-tax money will go to the ROTH part of the same 401k and earnings will go to the pretax part of that plan - but I am not sure if that is allowed or not, plan document says that we can also do unlimited in-plan conversions, but it does not specify if it is applicable to the after-tax contributions also.

I guess I need to research more or may be just try with small amount.
The plan keeps track of after-tax contributions for you. Just ask them to cut check for those contributions to date everytime you call. Easy peasy. Keep the earnings on those contributions in the plan if you want to keep doing backdoor Roth IRA contributions.

pjigar, thanks again!
I probably will try with small amount first to see how Fidelity will handle it. At the tax time - will I need to fill out any additional forms? We already filing 8606 for backdoor Roth IRA

MoneyChic, thanks for your input! May I ask how often do you pull money out? And while in the plan, do you invest or just keep in cash? Talking about only after-tax portion.

I do after-tax 401k contributions monthly, unfortunately my employer only allows up to 9% of salary. I always put new contributions into a money market fund and usually on payday I transfer it to my external account.

NgineER, thanks!
I assume you have no earnings and 100% goes to the Roth IRA, correct? That is probably how I will try to do also.

NgineER, thanks!
I assume you have no earnings and 100% goes to the Roth IRA, correct? That is probably how I will try to do also.

Yes -no earnings adn all goes to Roth IRA monthly.

Back
Top Bottom