Planning a Nashville trip. Advice please

Richard4444

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi All !

I am beginning to plan a 4 day trip to Nashville with DSO and am seeking advice on which hotel to stay at. Would like to be be near the trolley and all suggestions to help make this a fun trip are welcome !

Thanks !

Rich

Trolley? There is a trolley tour that is bus-based. I think they pick up all through downtown?

What are your interests? Fine dining, BBQ, broadway honkeytonk, Ryman concert, or "all of the above"?

FYI, both Lyft and Uber are heavy on the ground here; my understanding is that downtown hotels are quite a bit more expensive than those just a few miles out. [and AirBnB can be an easy way to get close to downtown for less]

No advice on downtown hotels, but we stayed at an Airbnb house that was great for the 6 of us. We were about 10 minutes from downtown.

Check out Brown's Diner if you can. Famous for having pretty much the same decor as when they opened way back when, and also burgers.

And of course the Ryman. We had silly fun at Tootsie's Orchid Bar as well. There is always great live music to be had in that town if you are a fan of Americana or country.

Trolley?

What are your interests? Fine dining, BBQ, broadway honkeytonk, Ryman concert, or "all of the above"?

Music, dining, and seeing a piece of America that we haven't yet seen !

and the Ryman, of course Sarah !

and maybe Brown's Diner :)

Thanks, Rich

2 restaurants- Blue Sky Cafe and Mas tacos por favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Richard, I am unaware of any trolley in this city, unless it is the tourist bus .... (Can't opine on which bus tours are best; there are several.)

Limiting myself to the core of downtown/gulch/germantown, for restaurants: Otaku Ramen is a great budget friendly place, as is Little Octopus, which is in process of moving to the gulch from East Nashville; Pinewood Social, City House, and Rolf and Daughters are less friendly on the wallet, but get a lot of deserved accolades. (City House is one of the true bargains if you want to dine with a James Beard regional winning chef.) Bastion (make reservations in advance--20 seat restaurant), Etch, Prima, and Husk are very good, but getting into expensive territory. Catbird Seat is a must if you can make your reservations online 30 days in advance at midnight--and are willing to pay very expensive tab (for Nashville--450 for two with alcohol pairing, tip, and tax).

If into history, Andrew Jackson's estate, the Hermitage, is about 10-13 minutes from airport, just east of Downtown.

As for downtown hotels, I think they are pretty much as expected, although priced a bit high. The Doubletree has been spending a lot of money on upgrades--but don't know if that puts them ahead of others, or merely catches them up!

E.T.A.: Regarding live music, DW and I have been pleasantly surprised to find that inexpensive live music is easy to find outside of the Country and Bluegrass genres.

Last edited:
Nashville is one of the really up and coming mid size cities in the U.S. It was an incredible place for me to grow up in--in the 1960's as a young musician.
If I was looking for accommodations, I'd be staying in the Brentwood area about 8 miles south of downtown. Or, I'd be staying in the Opryland--Elm Hill Pike area out by the airport. Our favorite places to visit are:
Country Music Hall of Fame
The Frist--the big art museum
The Hermitage--Andrew Jackson's restored home
Lower Broadway--with all the restaurants and nightlife.
The Station Inn--for incredible bluegrass. Doyle & Debbie there on 1st, 3rd & 4th Tuesdays of the month, and they're the funniest pair on earth--and fabulous singers.
3rd & Lindsley--a restaurant/music hall featuring incredible talent nightly. Vince Gill and the TimeJumpers are there on Monday nights.
Take a tour of the stars homes.
Our favorite place to eat is Maggiano's Little Italy on Broadway around 27th. Absolutely incredible food.
If you're brave, try Prince's Hot Chicken--a local delicacy. Arnold's on south 8th just south of downtown is the king of meat & 3's.
I promise you that Nashville's a city like there is none other. If you watch closely, there are magic musical nights during the week when record labels take over bars to showcase their future stars-and some of their established singers.

We visited in July - stayed in a vrbo place in West Nashville.

So, while I do not know about hotels, we enjoyed Belmont Mansion(+), Hermitage, Parthenon (museum part was worth the few extra $$), Opryland (folks made fun of me, but glad we did it), walking the catwalks at Opryland Hotel. Belle Meade plantation was interesting.

A friend insisted we visit Franklin. It was nice, but we were not amazed - and by that time we were a bit tired of touring Civil War-era homes, although Franklin has interesting opportunities

Hope you post back with your experiences - and happy for you that you are not visiting during the summer.

We used Uber to&from Broadway.

Last edited:
We were in Nashville in the spring. My faves:
The Cheekwood estate--nice grounds outside and most interesting art inside the mansion plus a quite decent little restaurant inside the visitor center on the property
The Alfred Stieglitz art collection at Fisk University--paintings by contemporaries of the great photographer, NOT a collection of Stieglitz's work.
Not a big fan of country music but still loved the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Hatch print shop tucked inside.
We ate at a restaurant called Husk that was quite innovative and expensive. Great service and slightly weird food. ETA I see 2017ish already mentioned this :)
We really had a great time in Nashville and I hope you do too!

Last edited:
Thank you All for your prompt replies and suggestions. We are looking forward to a great trip, most likely in March.

Much appreciated,

Rich

Back
Top Bottom