Planning my last 20 years, finding a place.

And if you think my story was humorous you will love my criteria:
Deeded Lot
55+
Has elderly activites for my wife
Has woods and nature for me
Has a 20+ mile long bicycle trail
Has some kayaking nearby
Can't be too cold, can't get too hot.
Has good health infrastructure, but not too crowded.
Has major airport within an hour so we can fly to go visit the kids.
It can be a house, an RV park, a mobile home community (I think the new term is modular home or premanufactured home). I have never needed a castle, our home is just somplace to store our stuff untill we take our next trip.
And I will need a garage/shed/barn/extra bedroom to store my tools. I love my tools.

I know what I am looking for is probably impossible, after all I have been searching for over 10 years. So have fun with this.

I have 2 thoughts:

1. You've been looking for 10 years, perhaps the place you are looking for doesn't exist.

2. One of your requirements "can't be too hot can't be too cold" taken under consideration with "our home is just somplace to store our stuff untill we take our next trip."

My suggestion is to find a place that has decent weather most of the time, and when the weather is either too hot or too cold use that time to travel. You don't need perfect weather 12 months of the year, you may only need good weather 9 or 10 months each year.

Did you mean $$$an Diego?

It would be just about the ideal ONE place if one can afford it. That's where I would target. I often check the area on Redfin and if you are Ok with a small place it may be a good place.

Just remember property taxes are forever. We have a nephew who just bought a small home in the Bay Area and his property taxes will be almost as much as our house payment including our property taxes. But of course being in Tech in the Bay Area And his wife being a nurse I think they make way more than we ever did.

Ha! I almost added if you have unlimited amounts of money available. It really is just about perfect.
Seriously though- there are outlying areas that aren’t nearly as expensive. My sister owns a home down there on a teacher’s salary. She bought more inland but on Christmas Day she went to the beach because it was 80°.

Property taxes in California aren’t that bad when you compare them to other states. It all seems to even out in the end.

Perhaps you could have two low maintenance places in 55 plus communities with activities you enjoy and at least one of the near family?

I think that's kind of where we are headed, just gotta find the places. What's funny is we looked at some retirement communities in Phoenix. This has been about 5 years ago. We decided that we couldn't possibly live in one, there were just too many old people there. Now we are the old people...

If you want to read about some adventures there is a sister forum to this one. My Grand RV Forum dot com. You can just search for d2reid, I used to post a lot, not so much anymore.

Ha! I almost added if you have unlimited amounts of money available.

The old saw that I am working on earning my second million dollars, gave up on the first milliion because it was never going to happen..

One of our life decisions was a poorer old age vs early retirement. That 55-65 stretch where most folks pack it away to get through the long winter of life. We were out adventuring. We have enough. We understand out limitations. Our standard of living will aways be a little less, it's ok, it was a consctious decision.

I think that's kind of where we are headed, just gotta find the places. What's funny is we looked at some retirement communities in Phoenix. This has been about 5 years ago. We decided that we couldn't possibly live in one, there were just too many old people there. Now we are the old people...

If you want to read about some adventures there is a sister forum to this one. My Grand RV Forum dot com. You can just search for d2reid, I used to post a lot, not so much anymore.

Thanks I will check out the other forum.

https://www.verrado.com/victory/

Here is a very nice example of a home there.

https://redf.in/oMxO1z

Or new construction for under 400k
https://redf.in/N3tLBG
We recently checked this area out in Buckeye. To us it was unlike most areas in Phoenix and tended to feel more like California with all the greenery and tree lines streets. There is a very charming downtown area was very nice. Not sure how it will handle the water issues we are all having. Looks like a great clubhouse. Houses are in the high 300k and go much higher.
Pretty new area and very clean.Just a little ways out from the Phoenix area. They have some of those smaller 2 bedroom homes with 1 shared walls. So you still get a garage and a small backyard.

Last edited:
I would suggest western Oregon. I have always referred to that area as "Disneyland for adults". I will be spending a great deal of time there when I FIRE. Probably somewhere near Eugene. I love that area. Close to mountains, close to the ocean, the best of both worlds. Doesn't hurt that I grew up a Ducks fan. Plus you won't find better access to world-class fly fishing anywhere in America.

Start with a map, and shade out the areas of the country you would eliminate based on too cold, too hot,or other factors. Only you know what hot and cold mean to you. You mentioned getting up into NH and VT, most would consider that very cold.

Draw a big circle around airports you consider large enough for your travel.

Then you can start looking at your written list and needs and wants to see how they stack up. I don't know how to search for "elderly activities" (maybe a Del Webb or similar community works for you) but you should be able to search for bike trails. "Long rail trails" gives good info, and you can narrow it by "near xxx".

A couple places that come to mind are Richmond VA (50 mile Virginia Capital Trail) and the Raleigh-Durham area (biking and hiking trails in Umstead Park near the airport, also the American Tobacco trail between Durham and Apex/Cary). Those just happen to be ones I'm familiar with.

I think you'll need to quantify "too hot or too cold". AFAIK Hawaii and maybe LA/San Diego are the only US lands that come close to moderate temps year around. As has been mentioned up-thread, if you have the $$, snow birding is the one way to get nice weather year around.

A bit farther south from the SF bay area such as Salinas and surrounding towns perhaps.

A bit farther south from the SF bay area such as Salinas and surrounding towns perhaps.

Fairfield/Vacaville area that people often overlook.
Vacaville has that small town feel while still being close to the Bay Area.

As has been mentioned up-thread, if you have the $$, snow birding is the one way to get nice weather year around.

Depending on where someone lives, it doesn't have to be 4 or 5 months, you may only need a couple months away to escape the worst of the weather.

Sometimes getting 90% of what you want at a reasonable price is a better than struggling to get 100%. As the saying goes: "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

Start with a map, and shade out the areas of the country you would eliminate based on too cold, too hot,or other factors. Only you know what hot and cold mean to you. You mentioned getting up into NH and VT, most would consider that very cold.

Draw a big circle around airports you consider large enough for your travel.

Then you can start looking at your written list and needs and wants to see how they stack up. I don't know how to search for "elderly activities" (maybe a Del Webb or similar community works for you) but you should be able to search for bike trails. "Long rail trails" gives good info, and you can narrow it by "near xxx".

A couple places that come to mind are Richmond VA (50 mile Virginia Capital Trail) and the Raleigh-Durham area (biking and hiking trails in Umstead Park near the airport, also the American Tobacco trail between Durham and Apex/Cary). Those just happen to be ones I'm familiar with.

Love the map idea but after that last cold front froze just about everything I think only the lower half of California and Arizona would be left on my map. I am a California born cold weather wimp who only likes to see snow on the TV.

Come on up to Sequim, It checks many of those boxes.
Not too cold, not too hot, and only 16" of rain so not too wet.
SeaTac is little over an hour.
Hospital in Port Angeles and world class in Seattle.
Olympic discovery bike trail.
https://olympicdiscoverytrail.org/
Woods? LOL. Olympic National Park, and a ferry across to Vancouver Island is 20 minutes away.
cross the sound to the Cascades and a whole lot more outdoors.

I would suggest western Oregon. ...Plus you won't find better access to world-class fly fishing anywhere in America.

We have spent a good bit of time in western Oregon, during Covid shutdown we were at Harris Beach State Park, we have volunteered at Silver Springs State Park, Cove Palisades State Park, and three summers at Smith Rock State Park.

My brother in law who lives in upper state NY would argue the fly fishing thing. But I loved fishing on the Deshutes.

Start with a map, ... I don't know how to search for "elderly activities"

That is a good method, I'll be looking for a new US map next time I am at the store. Rails to Trails Conservancy has done an excellent job of converting old railroad beds to bicycle trails. Trail Links dot com and the Trail Links app are the search engine for them. We have ridden some truly outstanding trails all accross the US, but we cheat, we have E-bikes.

We sat down and had one of those intense marital discussions. Looks like our winter home is going to be in North Florida. Family.

It will be our domicile and where we spend the most time. We may still just travel in the summer.

Now to decide sticks and bricks, RV, premanufactured, combo...

I am thinking this will be our "Landing Zone", more or less permanent, and the place will expire. I am going to push for sticks and bricks.

We sat down and had one of those intense marital discussions. Looks like our winter home is going to be in North Florida. Family.

It will be our domicile and where we spend the most time. We may still just travel in the summer.

I am thinking this will be our "Landing Zone", more or less permanent, and the place will expire. I am going to push for sticks and bricks.
I like your plan. Be close to family in your own place then take off for destinations unknown when you want. Rent an RV or cabin or whatever for a few months at a time is probably more cost effective than buying and keeping up two separate places. Plus based on your traveling history it sounds like you wouldn't want to be tied down to just two places.
Hopefully your permanent place will be close enough to family to visit often and have them look after your place while you are away. A 55 plus community with the activities you desire close to family sounds Ideal. Good luck on your search!

I think it was the TV show Star Trek that did me in. They are on a 5 year mission to explore, I love that concept. So I hit a wobbly FIRE at age 55, sold the house, bought an RV and started traveling. That was 11 years ago. We were on a 5 year mission to find the perfect place to live. Ok, the reviews were good so extended it another five years. Still no perfect place to live.

Covid has changed the RV traveling concept quite a bit. I now compete with more boomers, tele-commuters, and weekend warriors for a place to park my RV. There is a new term in the RV world called "Planning Anxiety". To get a nice Fri/Sat night campground you have to plan 4-6 months in advance. Then if you break down you have to do it all over again.

So at 67 my wife and I considering changing the way we live. For the first time ever we are spending 6 months at a 55+ RV Village near Orlando. It's got some nice stuff, woodworking, yoga, bingo, golf, pickleball. We participate in all of that, we also have Covid for the first time, wonder why...

Back before I retired I talked with a number of retirement/financial people. They kept asking me what my life expectancy was. I found a life expectancy evaluation form in my wifes Cosmo magazine and filled it out. Apparently I will die when I am 86.

Hopefully I have been telling an amusing story, so when you actually get to my question you will have an understanding of why I am asking this question.

Can anyone give me advice on a method to find a more permanent landing zone? Web searches, realtors, friends, neighbors, strangers, ,the really weird guy at the coffee counter...

And if you think my story was humorous you will love my criteria:
Deeded Lot
55+
Has elderly activites for my wife
Has woods and nature for me
Has a 20+ mile long bicycle trail
Has some kayaking nearby
Can't be too cold, can't get too hot.
Has good health infrastructure, but not too crowded.
Has major airport within an hour so we can fly to go visit the kids.
It can be a house, an RV park, a mobile home community (I think the new term is modular home or premanufactured home). I have never needed a castle, our home is just somplace to store our stuff untill we take our next trip.
And I will need a garage/shed/barn/extra bedroom to store my tools. I love my tools.

I know what I am looking for is probably impossible, after all I have been searching for over 10 years. So have fun with this.

Ummm, your description is very close to where we landed 24 years ago in central PA. We moved my dad into a 55+ community with an attached assisted living/memory care facility. His was a deeded property. We have three large 55+ communities near us and have acquaintances who live in them now. We are not far from Harrisburg International Airport, and Dulles and BWI are <2 hours away.

Kayaking…our large “creek” (they would call it a river in California) is a kayaker’s dream. Egrets, herons, mink, occasional bald eagles.
There are many hiking places-we are about 8 miles from the Appalachian Trail. Today I walked a trail that was once in a golf course and is being reclaimed as a wilderness area. They have built a boat ramp, but it is only for canoes and kayaks.

South of us in York County are Rails to Trails, bike trails on abandon rail lines.

Medicine-UPMC and Penn State Hershey are in major competition. They build hospitals in view of one another. Johns Hopkins and all the major hospitals in Philly are not that far.

We live in a mix of suburb/country/small city.

Weather-summer and winters are getting warmer. We have had only three “debilitating” snows in 24 years. Next week we will see 60 degree weather for a couple of days. Our township clears our streets within 12 hours. Spring and fall are delightful. We bundle up in the winter and swim in the summer. We can see a ski resort from our front yard.

If you want always “not too hot, not too cold” you’re talking coastal California. And paying big bucks for the privilege. DH and I spent the first 40 years of our lives in the SF Bay Area. We chose to move here, away from everyone we knew, for a job that had less pressure, and lower cost of living. The schools were phenomenal compared to Silicon Valley in the 90s. No regrets. Our lives are rich with culture here.

PM me if you want more information.

Congratulations on your decision! We spent years trying to figure out where we wanted to live, and then just ended up staying put. Enjoying life here (or most places) sure beats struggling to find the perfect place to live.

Oh, and BTW, we never DID figure out where we wanted to live. :ROFLMAO: We found a few very nice places, but they all had flaws.

As for he sticks and bricks, RV, premanufactured, combo... decision, I'd suggest picking the one that requires the least money and work for maintenance, since (like the rest of us) you're not growing any younger.

... based on your traveling history it sounds like you wouldn't want to be tied down to just two places.

I think evaluated it correctly. I like being a nomad, but the times have changed. I feel like the cattlemen did when the open ranges started getting fenced.

It has been a lot of fun watching the kids grow up and become productive adults, even succesful in their own right. One of the life ending goals that my parents passed on to me was a desire not to be a burden to my children. You can't help some of it, but I wouldn't ask them to look after my place, that's still my responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom