Playing TV Through Home Stereo

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'd like to play my television sound through my all in one stereo system. The Panasonic TC-P42X3 TV only has one audio output and it is via an optical cable. The Technics SC-C70 has an optical input and I have the cable connected between them. When I set the TV to "speakers off /theater" mode it appears to be sending a signal as I can see the red light in the end of the cable when it is not plugged in to the stereo. The Technics unit is set to optical input mode and displays the word "UNLOCKED", yet plays no sound.

Am I missing something basic here like an analog / digital mismatch?

Attachments

• Viera Connections.jpg
    Viera Connections.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Ottava Optical Input.jpg
    Ottava Optical Input.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 38
I'd like to play my television sound through my all in one stereo system. The Panasonic TC-P42X3 TV only has one audio output and it is via an optical cable. The Technics SC-C70 has an optical input and I have the cable connected between them. When I set the TV to "speakers off /theater" mode it appears to be sending a signal as I can see the red light in the end of the cable when it is not plugged in to the stereo. The Technics unit is set to optical input mode and displays the word "UNLOCKED", yet plays no sound.

Am I missing something basic here like an analog / digital mismatch?

You have selected the optical input option on your Technics SC-C70. You might need to select the PCM output setting on your Panasonic TV. This setting should be under the audio menu (if it has a PCM setting).

Once you get it working, it's possible that you could leave the TV speakers on and also have sound play through your Technics stereo. You might want to try leaving the TV speakers set to "on" and see if you get output from the stereo through the optical cable. Then you can turn the volume on the TV down if you don't want to use the TV speakers.

Also, be aware that you might lose the ability to change the volume and/or mute the TV using the TV remote. You might have to use the Technics volume control for adjusting volume. But you might get lucky and have the remote work for this purpose.

Last edited:
Also, be aware that you might lose the ability to change the volume and/or mute the TV using the TV remote. You might have to use the Technics volume control for adjusting volume. But you might get lucky and have the remote work for this purpose.
+1. I hooked a Bose Companion 3 speaker system (was hooked up to my PC) to my Samsung TV, and it greatly enhances the sound! But volume control is independent of the TV (and Roku) remote - so we only turn on the Bose system for movies and adjust volume with the Bose "puck." But it was a really nice add for sorta FREE...

Sounds right, I return to the amp through an optical out with one of my TVs as well. Is it a new optical cord? I got a new cord a year ago for around $10-12 on Amazon. It's at least a cheap way to rule out one possibility.

Thanks, QS

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a PCM option on this TV. The Technics manual has the explanation shown below for the appearance of the word "unlocked". The supported file formats are in the second attachment. I don't know enough about this is determine what format the output of the television is (third attachment).

Attachments

• Unlocked.jpg
    Unlocked.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 17
  • File Format.jpg
    File Format.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 18
  • TV Digital Output.jpg
    TV Digital Output.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Sounds right, I return to the amp through an optical out with one of my TVs as well. Is it a new optical cord? I got a new cord a year ago for around $10-12 on Amazon. It's at least a cheap way to rule out one possibility.
Yes, the optical cord is new and seems to be installed correctly..

The optical can come out as PCM or Dobly Digital. I let the receiver decode the Dolby. I'm guessing your TV can output either and would try changing it to test.

Partial success! I had been trying to play the sound from the TV using OTA television as the input. When I played a DVD movie, the stereo does indeed play the sound.

I don't understand all I know about it, but that should work.

What type of program source material are you sending from the TV to the stereo? Is it something basic like cable TV? Or is it something else, like Blu-Ray?

(I posted this before I saw you had success with a DVD as source material.)

I think this is a PCM vs. Dolby issue as Jim had suggested. You might want to dive into your DVD player's audio settings and see what format it is outputting.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Perhaps this?

Select "Digital Audio" and the audio from the Panasonic television is produced with the connected surround sound receiver.

How to Add Speakers to a Panasonic TV With One Optical Digital Audio Out

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/...nasonic-tv-with-one-optical-digital-audio-out

I have an older Panasonic Plasma TV (still love the picture) and I think that was the hidden fix...good luck.
Thanks - TV is at least 6 years old, so I think it doesn't have as many choices with respect to selecting the audio output format.

Given that it works with a DVD or Netflix / Amazon, etc, I'm happy.

Thanks - TV is at least 6 years old, so I think it doesn't have as many choices with respect to selecting the audio output format.

Given that it works with a DVD or Netflix / Amazon, etc, I'm happy.

Our TV is like 14 years old now.
Can you use the TV remote.. hit the menu button...select audio..select other adjust....play with settings there?

IF your DVD player is working ok...try changing the receiver setting to VCR/DVR setting...you also have to go into the receiver setting and set it up for optical for this input....that's what worked for me.

Our TV is like 14 years old now.
Can you use the TV remote.. hit the menu button...select audio..select other adjust....play with settings there?
I've messed with everything I can think of in the audio settings.

Attachments

• Audi Settings.jpg
    Audi Settings.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 16
Partial success! I had been trying to play the sound from the TV using OTA television as the input. When I played a DVD movie, the stereo does indeed play the sound.

I don't understand all I know about it, but that should work.

I think I understand what is happening. The Technics SC C70 digital input can only handle PCM audio format. From the user manual, page 21:

Technics-SC-C70-Digital-Input.jpg

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.co...ing-instructions/SC_C70_basic_EB_TQBM0125.pdf

Your Panasonic TV outputs either PCM or Dolby Digital, depending on the source material. When you tune in OTA television the output of the TV is Dolby Digital. (ATSC is digital TV, while NTSC is the old analog TV signal.) Since your Technics stereo can't decode Dolby Digital, you won't hear the audio.

Panasonic-Viera-Digital-Out.jpg

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/474030/Panasonic-Viera-Tc-P42x3.html?page=52

The default setting of DVD players typically are set to output PCM audio. Therefore your Technics can decode it.

I think I understand what is happening. The Technics SC C70 digital input can only handle PCM audio format. From the user manual, page 21:

View attachment 42030

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.co...ing-instructions/SC_C70_basic_EB_TQBM0125.pdf

Your Panasonic TV outputs either PCM or Dolby Digital, depending on the source material. When you tune in OTA television the output of the TV is Dolby Digital. (ATSC is digital TV, while NTSC is the old analog TV signal.) Since your Technics stereo can't decode Dolby Digital, you won't hear the audio.

View attachment 42031

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/474030/Panasonic-Viera-Tc-P42x3.html?page=52

The default setting of DVD players typically are set to output PCM audio. Therefore your Technics can decode it.

There appears to be an Analog input next to the digital input. Wonder if using that one would solve the issue?
There are a lot of reviews on youtube. You can watch the videos and read the comments maybe find an answer there. Or ask the question in the comments. I find people on youtube are very helpful when answering questions there.

attachment.php

There appears to be an Analog input next to the digital input. Wonder if using that one would solve the issue?

attachment.php

No, because there is no corresponding analog audio out connection on his TV.

or perhaps you need some sort of combination of signal splitter / digital to analog converter set up?

or perhaps you need some sort of combination of signal splitter / digital to analog converter set up?

Nope, won't work because his stereo does not have analog audio input. His only choice is digital optical cable.

Ok so reading some reviews on the TV on Amazon and ran across this comment in a review...I also didn't like the digital-only audio output to use with external sound, but I did buy the Fiio D3 (from Amazon) Optical-to-Analog converter and it's good to go....minus the inability to control the volume through the TV.
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-D03K-Digital-Analog-Converter/dp/B009346RSS
So perhaps try an optical splitter on the TV so you have two optical outputs from TV and use this converter on one of the outputs to the analog input on the receiver?

So perhaps try an optical splitter on the TV so you have two optical outputs from TV and use this converter on one of the outputs to the analog input on the receiver?

There is no analog audio input on the receiver.

If you try this set up don't forget to set it correctly...from someones review...
TUPID ME! THE SWITCH ON THE UNDERSIDE. I was seriously about to try hitting this thing when I turned it over to see a very uncommon design for a switch which is a small white sliding switch for either optical or coax. HA!!! Works fine now.

61zaDMoNZ9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom