Playing TV Through Home Stereo

Sorry if this further confuses things but you do appear to have a second digital audio out channel on your TV. The HDMI labeled ARC (which stands for Audio Return Channel) can be connected to an HDMI input on your amp if there is one. There's probably a setting on your TV to activate the ARC.

If you watch a video on the unit I think there is an Analog audio input just to the right of the digital one.

You're right. It looks like a 3.5mm jack for plugging in a patch cord from a phone or a tablet and playing music.

Yes, I suppose you could get a digital to analog converter box to convert the digital optical cable to an analog signal, then run a 3.5mm stereo to dual RCA male audio adapter cable into the AUX audio IN connecter on the rear of the Technics stereo. That would be the workaround.

Sorry if this further confuses things but you do appear to have a second digital audio out channel on your TV. The HDMI labeled ARC (which stands for Audio Return Channel) can be connected to an HDMI input on your amp if there is one. There's probably a setting on your TV to activate the ARC.

There is no HDMI input on the Technics stereo. Here's the input panel of the stereo:

Technics-SC-C70-Inputs.jpg

From what I read; your speaker system has BT input capability. Have you looked into either HDMI-ARC to BT converter or an optical to BT converter?

From what I read; your speaker system has BT input capability. Have you looked into either HDMI-ARC to BT converter or an optical to BT converter?

Supposing this was possible, TV audio over bluetooth will likely introduce time delays, meaning you will get lip sync audio problems.

OP here. I appreciate all the suggestions. At this point, I'm totally happy. I only use OTA TV for watching the news and I don't need hi fi to watch that. DVDs and streaming services do output through the stereo, so I'm totally happy at this point.

I've certainly gotten an education in formats, though. I had no idea it was so complex these days.

Supposing this was possible, TV audio over bluetooth will likely introduce time delays, meaning you will get lip sync audio problems.

That delay really bothers me. I watch a lot of youtube videos on a tablet and use BT headphones. It's really noticeable on any woodworking show - hammer hits the board, then ..., ....., ..... "Bam". Sanding or filing back and forth, and the hand motion is out of sync with the "swooosh".

Oddly, I don't seem to notice it with lips/speech. I think my brain has adjusted to that?

-ERD50

That delay really bothers me. I watch a lot of youtube videos on a tablet and use BT headphones. It's really noticeable on any woodworking show - hammer hits the board, then ..., ....., ..... "Bam". Sanding or filing back and forth, and the hand motion is out of sync with the "swooosh".

Oddly, I don't seem to notice it with lips/speech. I think my brain has adjusted to that?

-ERD50
This delay in sound happens while holding the tablet in your hand and watching it? That's quite a delay for such a short distance between tablet and BT headphones.

How old are your BT headphones? They might be running an older version of Bluetooth than your tablet. (Or tablet could have an older version.) Older versions of Bluetooth run slower than new versions and if there's a mismatch in versions the older version is used.

You might try unpairing and re-pairing the headphones and see if it helps with the delay. It's worth a try.

This delay in sound happens while holding the tablet in your hand and watching it? That's quite a delay for such a short distance between tablet and BT headphones.

How old are your BT headphones? They might be running an older version of Bluetooth than your tablet. (Or tablet could have an older version.) Older versions of Bluetooth run slower than new versions and if there's a mismatch in versions the older version is used.

You might try unpairing and re-pairing the headphones and see if it helps with the delay. It's worth a try.

It's not the distance (traveling near the speed of light), and they are all pretty new. I've researched all the latest BT formats, they all have a delay, the best are still around 200 mS.

The problem is they put the data into packets. So they need to take a sound sample (the entire sample, they can't start until they have it all) , package it, send it (which they can't do until it's all done putting the packet together), then it is received, and the receiver has to get the whole packet before it can start reconstructing it. And only then, can it start playing it back.

-ERD50

Last edited:
On some TVs you need to set the optical audio output to match the input audio stream from HDMI or cable/antenna. I use the optical output of our TVs to drive audio into our receivers without any issues. Look through your menu and then audio menu and see if you can set your SPDIF mode to PCM and try that.

On some TVs you need to set the optical audio output to match the input audio stream from HDMI or cable/antenna. I use the optical output of our TVs to drive audio into our receivers without any issues. Look through your menu and then audio menu and see if you can set your SPDIF mode to PCM and try that.
Thanks. I think we concluded that on my particular TV, I can't do that.

Back
Top Bottom