Please help me figure out how to buy a house

Scout

Recycles dryer sheets
My wife and I are still working and have fortunately hit our number, but will likely not exit for the next one to two years (a thread for another day:). We’re both in our mid- late 40’s and pay $1700 monthly for health insurance with a deductible of 10k. I’d obviously like to make the bleeding stop once we retire in a couple of years. Our only source of income before social security will be from our dividends from the taxable accounts which alone will put us close, but not quite to the ACA cliff plus any additional CGs. Hopefully the news tucked in the new stimulus plan to at least soften the cliff actually comes to fruition, but for now my concern is that CGs will ultimately put us out of range for any subsidies.
So.....my wife and I are getting ready to purchase a home and we’re going to sell shares of our index funds to pay for it. Our investment firm defaults to an 'average' cost basis which will likely not be very tax friendly so I was planning on using SpecID to hopefully lower the CG tax burden. However, I'm not sure if that's the best strategy as my primary concern when we stop working will be to keep our MAGI low enough to qualify for ACA subsidies therefore maybe we'd be better off taking the CG hit now while my MAGI matters less. I figure you can provide substantial insight as my knowledge base regarding withdrawal strategy is still quite small.
Also, if your recommendation is to use SpecID in order to select shares that I buy how does that physically work? I’ve never actually sold any shares. Do you pick shares bought at different time periods hence the older ones would have a higher CG since they’ve had more time to grow? Is it clearly labeled so that a novice such as myself can go in and manually do it? I talked to my accountant who wasn’t a great deal of help and I really try to steer clear of My investment firm’s advisor service.
Thanks in advance

Thanks! I saw that. The way I read it I think if you’re over the cliff (400% FPL you won’t spend over 8% on premiums? Hopefully it turns out!
I believe its only waiting for Biden's signature. I don't think that's going to be a problem.

On spec id. I've never used it but I thought you set that up at purchase but I could be very wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks! I saw that. The way I read it I think if you’re over the cliff (400% FPL you won’t spend over 8% on premiums? Hopefully it turns out!

8.5%

But wait! If you sell off assets such that your income shows as $300k, that means you'll only get a subsidy if your HC plan costs you more than $25,500/year, right? That's not very helpful...as most plans probably cost less than that. So don't go selling a bunch of assets just yet. But IIRC the LT CG rate is 15% up to about $500k, so as long as you stay below that for AGI, you're not moving up in marginal brackets.

Will you buy existing home or new construction? If new construction, you might be able to pay in 2021 only for the land and a "beginning draw" to the contractor, then pay the remaining balance in 2022 (depending on when they finish the house of course). This would allow you to spread the CG over two years...again assuming you need to do that.

If buying existing and the house is expensive (see above note about $500k), perhaps you can put a large chunk down and finance the remainder over a very short term...ask the bank if you can get a 3 - year balloon or something similar. This would allow you to sell off assets over a few years rather than all at once.

I see a missed opportunity.
I would only convert down payment money and get a traditional loan, and then be able to deduct the interest from the taxes. Loan rates are low now.

.... Also, if your recommendation is to use SpecID in order to select shares that I buy how does that physically work? I’ve never actually sold any shares. Do you pick shares bought at different time periods hence the older ones would have a higher CG since they’ve had more time to grow? Is it clearly labeled so that a novice such as myself can go in and manually do it? ...

SpecID is pretty easy. The brokerage will show you details of each purchase lot... # of shares , cost, fair value, etc. then you select shares from the various lots and it shows you the projected realized gain or loss... the net gain/loss will be slightly different based on share value movements for that day. Do a small sale first to get the hang of it and then do additional sales to get to your goals.

I had to sell some shares in my Mom's account last week and wanted to generate $x of proceeds and $0 gain... I ended up with a $0.01 short term loss.

The stock market has returned 10% annually over history. So take out as many loans as you can as long as the rate is below 10% and invest in the market! Success!

Sarcasm :greetings10:

SpecID is pretty easy. The brokerage will show you details of each purchase lot... # of shares , cost, fair value, etc. then you select shares from the various lots and it shows you the projected realized gain or loss... the net gain/loss will be slightly different based on share value movements for that day. Do a small sale first to get the hang of it and then do additional sales to get to your goals.

I had to sell some shares in my Mom's account last week and wanted to generate $x of proceeds and $0 gain... I ended up with a $0.01 short term loss.

I see. That sounds easier than I imagined.
Thanks!

The stock market has returned 10% annually over history. So take out as many loans as you can as long as the rate is below 10% and invest in the market! Success!

Sarcasm :greetings10:

Agreed. Unfortunately I had to pay cash to secure the house.

8.5%

But wait! If you sell off assets such that your income shows as $300k, that means you'll only get a subsidy if your HC plan costs you more than $25,500/year, right? That's not very helpful...as most plans probably cost less than that. So don't go selling a bunch of assets just yet. But IIRC the LT CG rate is 15% up to about $500k, so as long as you stay below that for AGI, you're not moving up in marginal brackets.

Will you buy existing home or new construction? If new construction, you might be able to pay in 2021 only for the land and a "beginning draw" to the contractor, then pay the remaining balance in 2022 (depending on when they finish the house of course). This would allow you to spread the CG over two years...again assuming you need to do that.

If buying existing and the house is expensive (see above note about $500k), perhaps you can put a large chunk down and finance the remainder over a very short term...ask the bank if you can get a 3 - year balloon or something similar. This would allow you to sell off assets over a few years rather than all at once.

Thanks Dave. It’s already constructed and Unfortunately I have to pay cash to secure the house as it is a competitive sale. Since I’m still working this year our income will be above 300k anyway so I’m not going to qualify for a subsidy this year regardless of the CG. I’m just trying to figure out if I should go ahead and sell the shares that would bring the most CG now since I’m not eligible for a subsidy anyways this year so that tte shares I sell once retired will have fewer CGs therefore keeping me lower to the 400fpl (again assuming that’s still relevant in two years)

If your investments are in a taxable brokerage at a firm that offers a PAL (pledged asset line) you can borrow against your equities and then decide your course of action once you have completed the purchase of the home.

Charles Schwab Pledged Asset Line

Last edited:
If your investments are in a taxable brokerage at a firm that offers a PAL (pledged asset line) you can borrow against your equities and then decide your course of action once you have completed the purchase of the home.

Charles Schwab Pledged Asset Line

What an interesting idea I’ve never heard of. I’ll check and see if my firm offers this and if so, at what rate.
Thank you

Thanks again for responses. I pulled money out of investments in preparation using SpecID. It was much easier than I anticipated. Unfortunately, the home inspection showed a lot of issues so we backed out. Now I need just one good down day in the market to get my money back in:-/

Thanks again for responses. I pulled money out of investments in preparation using SpecID. It was much easier than I anticipated. Unfortunately, the home inspection showed a lot of issues so we backed out. Now I need just one good down day in the market to get my money back in:-/

I was a licensed home inspector for 7 years and I know the kind of house you're talking about. :LOL:

If you don’t mind me asking Finance Dave....
Do you think that some home inspectors have unwritten deals with realtors? This was one of the 5 inspectors the realtor recommended to me. We got the inspection and there were problems with HVAC, siding, etc. I took the report to a contractor I know and their primary concern was with either foundation or poorly constructed/fastened joists/girders. Some joists had shifted with splits and incomplete shimming. Secondarily (maybe) there were cracks in ceiling, siding had bowed, trusses had bowed, flooring cracked, etc. I told agent we’re backing out and she calls the inspector on her own and gets back to me urging me to contact him. (That seemed odd) He then says he doesn’t think there will be any progression of those problems and searching for the answer will lead to more problems. Maybe he’s right, but .....
I’m pretty new to the real estate game, but the whole thing just seemed kind of shady so I washed my hands if it. Later though my wife and I wondered if it’s even appropriate for the agent to call the inspector and if so I would’ve liked to have been a fly in the wall. I’m sure you have some interesting stories to tell:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom