Please help the cheap Luddite

Mulligan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Need help from the wise ones please if possible. My GF is moving in soon and works from home and will be taking over the living room because of the light and windows. I need somewhere to watch some day time tv, as I dont want to hang out in my nice downstairs, but windowless man cave.
I have 3 tvs connected to Direct tv, man cave, living room, and bedroom. I dont want to pay for a 4th box and wiring just on principle.
Question.. Is there any mirroring devices that could mirror onto an unconnected tv a show from one of the other Direct Tv wired tvs? I have the Direct Tv app, but it wont allow the use of Chromecast. Was hoping there was some work around. Any ideas? Thanks.

Since this is going to be a lengthy time, how about extending the wiring for one of the boxes to where you are going to watch tv.
Then move that box to that room and hook it to the tv (where ever that will be located).

Since this is going to be a lengthy time, how about extending the wiring for one of the boxes to where you are going to watch tv.
Then move that box to that room and hook it to the tv (where ever that will be located).

Im thinking my only bullet is the bedroom tv, but that will be used at night and rolling out of bed. She will confiscate the LV tv. She doesnt want quiet, she wants her shows on, lol.. The third tv is downstairs. I was wanting to set on up in office room which is across from bedroom. So I dont think rigging a wire from bedroom would work without wiring correct? There is no cable wiring in office room.

Why not get a Roku? Install the Directv app/channel and watch to heart's content.

When is your Directv [-]prison sentence[/-] contract up? Sounds like a great opportunity to cut the cord and take advantage of far greater flexibility - maybe even save a few bucks in monthly fees.

Why not get a Roku? Install the Directv app/channel and watch to heart's content.

Miss Molly, Im sorry, I should have said I cant use any internet draining stuff as my girlfriend is on several screens using internet to get all her work program stuff. Im crossing my fingers I do my stock stock and internet browsing at same time, ha. I have that ATT DSL internet.
RE, Have you ever heard of those “unwilling to change types”? Yep, I have become one of those, and I may be the last person using Direct Tv at some point in the future.

Direct TV has some type of remote kind of device. Made for hooking up a TV where there is no wall cable outlet. It may cost you a few additional bucks for the 4th TV hookup and the wireless remote box. But that should enable you to get TV in the office.
I know you are searching for a 3 TV solution, but I am not familiar with the technical way to do it.

Another technology-lacking-person here: If I get a Roku and install the Directv app, can I watch the recorded items from my main Directv tv recorder on the Roku tv?

(please don't laugh....I don't seem to understand much about tv/Rokus/etc these days. Just like to watch what I know how to get.) Thanks.

Another technology-lacking-person here: If I get a Roku and install the Directv app, can I watch the recorded items from my main Directv tv recorder on the Roku tv?

(please don't laugh....I don't seem to understand much about tv/Rokus/etc these days. Just like to watch what I know how to get.) Thanks.

I don't have Directv, but from what I have read, yes you can watch your recorded shows using the Roku.

Miss Molly, Im sorry, I should have said I cant use any internet draining stuff as my girlfriend is on several screens using internet to get all her work program stuff. Im crossing my fingers I do my stock stock and internet browsing at same time, ha. I have that ATT DSL internet.
RE, Have you ever heard of those “unwilling to change types”? Yep, I have become one of those, and I may be the last person using Direct Tv at some point in the future.

Hey Mulligan,

Do you have an unlimited data plan on your cell phone? You can load the Directv App and use your current subscription to watch live or on demand TV.

Direct TV has some type of remote kind of device. Made for hooking up a TV where there is no wall cable outlet. It may cost you a few additional bucks for the 4th TV hookup and the wireless remote box. But that should enable you to get TV in the office.
I know you are searching for a 3 TV solution, but I am not familiar with the technical way to do it.

I swear back in the day, I had something I bought that was two antennas, one you sat on the active tv and the other antenna on the dummy tv. You had to go into the room with cable to change the channel but it would mirror to the second tv. But I am guess that was done long ago when I had cable as I dont see anything like that now. I also remember back in the day I could splice and splice away on one line and make it go to 3 or 4 tvs . Dont work that way anymore.

Hey Mulligan,

Do you have an unlimited data plan on your cell phone? You can load the Directv App and use your current subscription to watch live or on demand TV.

Hi Freedom. No I got one of those cheap $40 plans that isnt unlimited. I actually watch a little Sunday NFL Direct on my phone app when I am not home and get on a wireless spot. I dont have that hotspot feature on my phone either.

Hi Freedom. No I got one of those cheap $40 plans that isnt unlimited. I actually watch a little Sunday NFL Direct on my phone app when I am not home and get on a wireless spot. I dont have that hotspot feature on my phone either.

Too bad...I have one of those cheap $30 a month plans with unlimited data and unlimited calling and texting to about 70 countries. Try Ultra-mobile (T-Mobile) no contract plans.

Take a look at these: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wireless+hdmi+transmitter+receiver&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I'm assuming you have HDMI coming out from the DirecTv box in the bedroom. Plug it into one of these transmitters and then plug the matching receiver into whichever TV you want to watch. You'll also need an HDMI splitter and a couple of cables if you want to be able to watch the bedroom TV without having to reconnect it each time. Total cost will be about $180. I don't know how that compares to just paying for the extra DirecTv outlet for however many months you need it.

Too bad...I have one of those cheap $30 a month plans with unlimited data and unlimited calling and texting to about 70 countries. Try Ultra-mobile (T-Mobile) no contract plans.

I had TMobile about 10 years and had to immediately cancel, Freedom. I live out in a rural area and it barely worked, ha. Lesson learned. Im on Sprint network now and its only a bit better. Head to the outback and it wont work either. I need to go on Verizon or T.

Take a look at these: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wireless+hdmi+transmitter+receiver&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I'm assuming you have HDMI coming out from the DirecTv box in the bedroom. Plug it into one of these transmitters and then plug the matching receiver into whichever TV you want to watch. You'll also need an HDMI splitter and a couple of cables if you want to be able to watch the bedroom TV without having to reconnect it each time. Total cost will be about $180. I don't know how that compares to just paying for the extra DirecTv outlet for however many months you need it.

Thanks Cathy, I will explore these.. This vaguely resembles the old set up back in the day I used long ago. But it was only about $25 bucks or so, ha. If I spend too much then it becomes just a bring em in and pay the extra $6 a month. But you know how that works. I wont need it come about next summer, and 5 years later Im still paying that $6 fee and the tv hasnt been turned on in years, ha.

My Sprint plan has a hotspot. They started making it free about a year or so ago. Are you sure you don't have a hotspot on your phone?

My Sprint plan has a hotspot. They started making it free about a year or so ago. Are you sure you don't have a hotspot on your phone?

Molly, Im on Sprint network but on a Boost Mobile plan. Originally it was Virgin Mobile but they shipped me off to their apparent sister outfit earlier this year.

Back
Top Bottom