Poll:Do You Have Your Smartphone in a Case?

Do You Have Your Smartphone in a Protective Case?

• No, I use my smartphone as is, no case of any kind.

Votes: 28 15.7%
  • Yes, my smartphone is in its case most if not all the time.

Votes: 142 79.8%
  • I don’t have a smartphone.

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who has no Smart Phone. For a while, I was the only one. Glad to have some company.
Evidently 1 in 20 here don’t have smartphones.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 15
I know several people who have never had any kind of mobile phone. Nothing but POTS (landline). They seem to get by somehow.

If you enable Find My iPhone on it, that iPhone will be of no use to whoever steals or finds it, unless they get your iCloud password.

They won't be able to use it at all.
Helpful to avoid data theft, etc, but the problem is, you won't be able to use it after they take it either. Even if they find out they can't use it they aren't going to return it to you. You still don't want it to be stolen.

Helpful to avoid data theft, etc, but the problem is, you won't be able to use it after they take it either. Even if they find out they can't use it they aren't going to return it to you. You still don't want it to be stolen.

Yes but the idea is, if they know that stolen iPhones can't be used or sold, they stop stealing them.

There were police reports the first year after iCloud Activation Lock of drastic reductions in iPhone thefts. So there are some websites which claim to get around iCloud Activation Lock and a local TV station news dept. tried those services:

Despite Anti-Theft Features, Thieves Still Seek Out iPhones « CBS Local

They found that at best, people will offer some money to break it down for parts.

I'm sure Android has something similar, because full device encryption became widely used a few years ago.

And, to me, "cost" includes the hassle of dealing with a broken phone. Possibly lost data, transferring contacts/data, being without a phone for some period of time, shopping for a new phone, learning how to do the old tasks on a new phone/OS version, etc. I want my phone to soldier on until I decide I want a new one and can do the transition with minimal hassle on my own schedule.

That's why I always keep my previous phone...if the current one ever fails, is damaged, or is lost or stolen then I have a backup that just has to be activated. Plus I have the advantage of already knowing how to use all the features and having it set up for my preferences.

If you enable Find My iPhone on it, that iPhone will be of no use to whoever steals or finds it, unless they get your iCloud password.

They won't be able to use it at all.

Sure, I know that, and I have all that set up.

I still don’t want someone swiping my iPhone when I’m on a trip. That would be highly inconvenient especially overseas where I can’t quickly replace it.

I don’t want to accidentally drop it either.

My wrist strap has been super handy in general.

Last edited:
(Moderator note: links to a loud audio clip that contains coarse language. Not safe for work.)

Last edited by a moderator:
(Moderator note: Links to a loud audio clip that contains coarse language. Not safe for work.)
That’s exactly what prompted this thread. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Many choices with the handy ClipHanger

Big fan of ClipHanger.com - I've been using this company since I had a Treo. Cliphanger - Quickly access and securely handle your cell phone.

You can call and talk to the inventor about the choices, and even arrange to order two or three choices and return what you don't want.

The clip is perfect to prevent dropping the phone, hang on a belt loop or purse handle, hang from a clip on a vehicle dashboard or pivit, hold, and text.

There are choices with kickstands, credit card holding, and choices of slim and smooth or textured/rubbery feeling, or industrial protection.

I'm using one from this page with corner guards. Cliphanger - Quickly access and securely handle your cell phone.

Be sure to watch all the videos to find the features you want - and how to change the clip to locking or easy release. Videos here: Cliphanger - Quickly access and securely handle your cell phone.

The only issue I've found is that holding the iPhone too tightly at the top of the back of the phone can do something to the noise dampening system and make your voice sound muffled to the other person on the line.

Just a Simple Cover to stop it from sliding out of pocket easily. It is slightly abrasive or has a rough surface. I also have a tempered glass screen protector on it.

Attachments

• IMG_9079 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9079 (Medium).JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9080 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9080 (Medium).JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 12
I have a Pelican case after breaking my screen several times. Now when I drop it, nothing happens.

That’s what I have for my iPhone 6+. Though it increases the bulk, it still fits in my pants pockets, fortunately, men’s pockets are large enough. I’m guessing it wouldn’t fit in a woman’s front pocket, so it’s back pocket or purse/bag?
I have an Otter knock-off belt clip and wear my phone on my hip, just like when I used to w*rk. I should probably surgically implant the darn thing because the only time I take it off is when I go to sleep, or when I take a shower. I even wear it when I play sports so my phone can keep on recording my steps. (I know...Too cheap to buy a separate fitness monitor...)

Last edited:
So I ordered my new iPhone XS max and I decided I wasn't going to get a case. I am getting a gold one and I wanted to be able to see it.

But...I ended up ordering a clear Spigen case. Why? I also ordered a card holder to stick on the back of the phone. However, the one I ordered (which I had before) warns that if you have an iPhone with a glass back you should put it on a case because of the strength of the adhesive (i.e. you could damage the back of the phone). So - I ordered a clear case....

The iPhone X feels sooo nice in the hand. Why give up that?

OK, I understand why. But the iPhone X is a beautiful piece of technology. It's a shame to cover it up in cheap plastic.

The only case I have been using is my pocket. Went years with never dropping it. Then dropped it twice. Got the screen replaced both times for like $60. But it is cracked again so I broke down and ordered a new iPhone. Guess I'll get a case even though I hate to do that. I get the nice slim phone for a reason and then have to stick it in a case. But this phone has to last me a long time so I'll bite the bullet and stick it in a case.

My current phone isn't in a case nor does it have a screen protector.
However, I used to have all my phones in a case plus a screen protector to obviously protect against drops and scratches since phones are so darn expensive. I also used to hand my phones down to the missus.

Although necessary, I generally dislike cases because I find they make the phone too bulky for my liking. So, for my current phone, I ended up buying a metal bumper guard that just went around the phone. However, it seemed to cause reception problems with the phone so I ditched it and never bought a replacement case. It's taken about 5 drops over about 3 years and doesn't seem too worse for wear other than some scuffs along the edges/corners. The screen has a few minor scratches that aren't noticeable unless you look for them.

But I'm in the market for a new phone and am definitely going to buy a case and screen protector for it.

Have you ever considered using an eyeglass case? Those given away with the purchase of the prescription or sunglasses? You may have one for oversize glasses to fit your phone. They are nicely padded so it makes a wonderful bed for the phones. :) I use it for my digital Niko camera which I've cut a bit the length so it's easier to put in and get out. Maybe this will give you other ideas? I think paying up to $30 for just a little cover is insane! :)

I have a pixel and use the thin clear polycarb case.

Battery cover?

Sounds like something you'd want to keep in a case, to hide what must not be the most svelte design.

Battery cover?

Sounds like something you'd want to keep in a case, to hide what must not be the most svelte design.

just the back of the phone. It pops off easily. I have had it in my back pocket as i'm in/out of the car. It probably got bent/broken by doing that. It's not an I phone or I would be required by social contract to upgrade to an X. :D

I am transitioning with the seasons from shorts to long pants. The phone easily slips in my front pocket in my shorts. Not so much in my long pants

*no I phones were harmed in my presence today

Back
Top Bottom