Poll: Market bottom and recovery time?

Where's the bottom? And how long to recover?

• S&P500 down 10%; 0-2 years recovery

Votes: 36 20.8%
  • S&P500 down 20%; 0-2 years recovery

Votes: 56 32.4%
  • S&P500 down 30%; 0-2 years recovery

Votes: 19 11.0%
  • S&P500 down 40%; 0-2 years recovery

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • S&P500 down 50+%; 0-2 years recovery

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • S&P500 down 10%; 3-5 years recovery

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • S&P500 down 20%; 3-5 years recovery

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • S&P500 down 30%; 3-5 years recovery

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • S&P500 down 40%; 3-5 years recovery

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • S&P500 down 50+%; 3-5 years recovery

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • S&P500 down 10%; 5+ years recovery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S&P500 down 20%; 5+ years recovery

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • S&P500 down 30%; 5+ years recovery

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • S&P500 down 40%; 5+ years recovery

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • S&P500 down 50+%; 5+ years recovery

Votes: 11 6.4%

• Total voters
I voted 50% down and 3-5 recovery. I feel like my response to this question is/was the same as my response and subsequent followups to the link below:

Summary: I thought Mr Market was overvalued in 2015, and look where we are and what I would’ve missed if I had sat out 100% or not contributed new money since. Waiting for “a drop”. Whatever that’s defined as…

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f30/trying-to-time-the-markets-106352-2.html#post2509394

I resumed contributions in the end of 2015/early 2016 I think?. VASGX was around 26, and is 41.63 today, for reference.

-CC

Last edited:
It's a distinction without a difference in my case, since the distribution from the tIRA is taxable as ordinary income no matter how it is done, and there are no basis considerations in a Roth. Hence, there is no need or benefit to a transfer in kind. I try to keep things as simple and ordinary as possible, so there is the least chance of a problem.

But don’t you have to wait for the settlement before moving money from tIRA to Roth?

I have only Vanguard mutual funds in those accounts, so I don't think it matters. I just tell them I want to convert and the "to" and "from" and they handle it. In any event, a day or three out of the market is small potatoes in the long run.

….reading through a plethora of responses rings home that one needs to have a solid handle on liquidity needs (1-3yrs) before transitioning to early retirement especially during periods of increasing uncertainty (or perhaps heightened awareness of the uncertainties out there). I know for many this seems so obvious and basic. Thanks for the thoughtful posts.

I voted 50% down and 3-5 recovery.

Certainly possible. GMO Co-founder Jeremy Grantham is expecting stocks to drop 40% to 50%. I've seen some predictions that go much worse.

I went with 40% with 3-5 year recovery.

"Nobody knows nuttin" Jack Bogle

Especially in the short run. Looking 1, 2 or 3 decades out, nobody still knows nuttin, but there is time for any kinks to be worked out of our 50/50, globally-diversified portfolio of index funds, and for our property values to escalate, so I try to stay focused on the horizon.

Note this forum area is for active investing. So talk about how to react to the markets is not to be discouraged. Even wild ideas need some airing.

Personally I don't have any problem with Boglehead thinking but it is not the only investing method.

Also I notice the thread is about where the bottom is. Maybe responses should focus on that. :) Gee, I feel like a moderator. :facepalm: ;)

Last edited:
Where is that stated, please? Sometimes the rules around here are not very clear.

I know it's easy to miss.

If you look at the top of this page, it says "Active Investing, Market Strategies & Alternative Assets".

Stock picking, option trading, gold coins, NFTs, and bitcoins go in here. :)

Where is that stated, please? Sometimes the rules around here are not very clear.

See the title for this part of the ER site (above) under Community Forums:
Active Investing, Market Strategies & Alternative Assets

The "Fire and Money" section might be best for strong Boglehead viewpoints.

I like visiting this forum. I can live vicariously through the posters.

See the title for this part of the ER site (above) under Community Forums:

Active Investing, Market Strategies & Alternative Assets

The "Fire and Money" section might be best for strong Boglehead viewpoints.

I see now. Thanks to both of you above.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom