Poll on Worst Drivers by Automobile Manufacturer

Automotive Poll on Worst Drivers by Manufacturer - Select One or More

• GM (Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, GMC)

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Stellantis (Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, Ram)

Votes: 20 14.6%
  • Ford / Lincoln

Votes: 13 9.5%
  • Honda / Acura

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Toyota / Lexus

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • Nissan / Infiniti

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Subaru

Votes: 14 10.2%
  • Fiat

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Mini

• Tesla

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Rivian

• Audi

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Alfa Romeo

• BMW

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • Mercedes Benz

Votes: 17 12.4%
  • Bentley

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Volvo

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Volkswagen

• Hyundai / Kia

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • Other

Votes: 11 8.0%

• Total voters

freedomatlast

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The roads seem to get crazier everyday and it recently occurred to me that the common denominator in a lot of the craziness is a particular brand of vehicle. So, I thought a poll on worst drivers based on the brand of vehicle they are operating might be fun. So here it is.......

Eighteen wheelers. More specifically, eighteen wheelers carrying logs. a.k.a. Log Trucks

BTW, IIRC Fiat and Alfa Romero are both made by Stellantis too. Same with Volkswagen, they are the parents of other cars in the poll.

Last edited:
The safer the car, the worse the driver. Less safe cars get the driver "taken out" of the highway gene pool more quickly. Safer cars allow bad drivers to continue bad driving.

Last edited:
People should note that this is not the usual anonymous poll. Your answer will be shown with your username.

Good point braumeister. We might get more participation if we maintain anonymity. Seems I can't edit it at this point. Can you change it for me?

I wouldn’t expect a strong correlation between ‘worst drivers’ v ‘manufacturer’ so I didn’t vote…

I didn't vote as I don't see what the car brand has to do with anything.

Definitely the folks in their Cadillacs.

1) They should be flogged for purchasing the car with the worst resale and fastest depreciation on the planet.

2) They are overpriced and have a poor reliability history

3) They are too busy thinking about their poor choice of vehicles to concentrate on driving.

:)

My favorite bad driver statistic is DUI related. 1 in 22 Dodge Ram owners have a DUI and are the most likely to be involved in a DUI caused accident.

Not surprisingly they are also the most likely vehicles to have truck nuts hanging from the towing hitch.

I looked out of curiosity and the 5 cars involved in the most accidents are Dodge, Chevy, Honda, Toyota, and Ford, but that really tells you nothing about the safety of the drivers. I suspect those are the top 5 because they're the best selling cars so there are simply more of them on the road.

Generally around here it’s the big pickups, doesn't matter which brand. Pickups in groups of 2 or 3 like to race and weave through the interstate traffic.

I wouldn’t expect a strong correlation between ‘worst drivers’ v ‘manufacturer’ so I didn’t vote…

+1

Mercedes and BMW's hands down, at least in Minnesota. They drive like they are entitled to the road with no regard for other drivers.

I also ticked VW's because for some reason they are clueless, at least in Minnesota. Their old slogan, "Driver's Wanted" is stunningly true.

I wanted to tick Buick because where I live they are mostly driven by people that make the people on ER.ORG look young and typically drive at about 60% of the posted speed limit. Decades ago this demographic drove Dodge Darts and Plymouth Valiants.

I'd say anything that was once a police car, auctioned off, and ended up in the hands of the general public would rank pretty high.

If I had to pick one single brand though, I'd have to say BMW.

Hyundais and Kias might rate high too, though. They're often bought by poor credit risk drivers, younger drivers, etc. And I'm sure that when they fall victim to the Tik-Tok challenges, those who steal them don't exactly drive gently.

Oh, and the Nissan Altima. There's actually a phrase for it, called "Big Altima Energy!"

Last edited:
I looked out of curiosity and the 5 cars involved in the most accidents are Dodge, Chevy, Honda, Toyota, and Ford, but that really tells you nothing about the safety of the drivers. I suspect those are the top 5 because they're the best selling cars so there are simply more of them on the road.

Dodge hasn't had a high-volume car in ages now, but I'd say the Challenger and Charger are one reason why they rank high. Incidentally, I bought a 2023 Charger R/T, only to find that it's also the second most stolen car in the country, on a per capita basis. The only thing that rates higher? The Hellcat!

Surprisingly, the Neon has been pretty popular among the tuner crowd, for a domestic car. So among older cars, that might contribute some to it?

The Ram is pretty popular, the third most popular vehicle in the country, behind the F-series and Silverado. So that might count for something. Just as a personal observation though, I don't see pickup truck drivers pretending they're Mario Andretti, though.

I have noticed car drivers do tend to gripe about pickup drivers though, so there could be some internal bias there.

When I had the Z4 the only thing I hated about it was that it was a BMW and I had to be associated with the bad BMW drivers... Scratched the roadster itch through. Miss it some on nice days but miss my old Silverado more. I drove them the same....well, relative to their capabilities.

Dodge hasn't had a high-volume car in ages now, but I'd say the Challenger and Charger are one reason why they rank high. Incidentally, I bought a 2023 Charger R/T,only to find that it's also the second most stolen car in the country, on a per capita basis. The only thing that rates higher? The Hellcat!
I've had four Hellcat powered vehicles and never had anyone try to steal one, that I know of. Could be because I had a few extra anti theft devices installed on each of them. And/or maybe my NRA stickers in the rear window may have given thieves a second thought! Although I will admit, a number of folks on the Hellcat forums I frequent haven't been so lucky.

I don't notice cars very much, and seldom look at the brand. But I'd say generally that drivers of fast sports cars are the worst - that's what the cars are for, to stand out and be noticed. The "weavers" take serious risks moving in and out of lanes, but they want people to notice their cars.

I find that expensive sports cars tend to not be sold with an initial charge of blinker fluid, and the driver doesn't know how to fill it.:D:D

I posted my answer blind. I am not at all surprised that my answer matches many others and as of now, we have a very, very clear winner in BMW.

This brand shows up in dashcam video accidents routinely. It is an internet meme, and for a good reason.

The Subaru WRX drivers are in a class by themselves, completely different than all other Subaru drivers. They get classified right along with BMW on dashcam videos. Insurance companies agree, judging by rates.

The Subaru WRX drivers are in a class by themselves, completely different than all other Subaru drivers. They get classified right along with BMW on dashcam videos. Insurance companies agree, judging by rates.

In an automotive forum I also frequent, the subject of the WRX came up. I had seen one last weekend, one of the older styles with the frameless door windows and the little round, Neon-esque headlights. Someone else, who owns a "regular" Subaru mentioned that he was on a Subaru forum, and WRXes constantly come up for sale. They're usually with salvage titles, and have a long list of the mods that have been done to them.

So I'm guessing they get modded, wrecked, put back together just in time for another date with the Old Oak Tree. Lather, rinse, repeat!

Back
Top Bottom