Post your favorite 70s/80's one hit wonders here.

2HOTinPHX

Full time employment: Posting here.
So growing up in the 70s and 80s loved the music and still do. :dance:

One of my favorites that was a one hit wonder was by a group called The Headboys. I bought the album for this one song and the rest was kinda weird at the time but it grew on me and now I like the whole album.

The Headboys were a Scottish power pop band, formed in 1977 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

This was a second semi-hit for them.

Any one hit wonders that are stuck in your brain?

Kajagoogoo is considered a one-hit wonder in the U.S. (they had a couple more in the U.K.) for this song:

Kajagoogoo is considered a one-hit wonder in the U.S. (they had a couple more in the U.K.) for this song:

Good find...I remember that video from MTV..:D

I thin these guys had more hits but not sure. This is the one that standouts in my mind as one hit wonder with over a billion views. Could be my retirement from work anthem...THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!!!!!!!!

Even Eddy Murphy had one hit back then....love to tease the wifey with this one..Party All The Time....wohooooo.:LOL:

The backstory to this song is almost as interesting as the song itself. Seems the band was mainly a hard rock cover band in the 1970s, and later in the decade, all everyone wanted to hear at the time in the North Philadelphia clubs was disco music. Their manager indicated they needed some disco music in their playlist.

During a break in one of their sets, someone started heckling them. "Are you white boys gonna play some funky music?" That spawned the concept for the song and video you see below.

Last edited:
Everybody loves the cowbell.

There’s also Mah Nà Mah Nà and the Snowths, which reached 55th on the Billboard top 100

There’s also Mah Nà Mah Nà and the Snowths, which reached 55th on the Billboard top 100

Oh my forgot about that one. Hope I don't start singing that one around the house. Wife might think I am really loosing it.....

1970's:

From 1971. I didn't hear it till 1978 on Armed Forces radio in Alaska. It reached #36 on the charts even tho it was pretty much banned from any airplay for obvious reasons. It's 8 mins long and it's not easy to dance to.

Magnet and Steel, 1978. Fun fact: Produced by Lindsey Buckingham you can hear Lindsey and Stevie singing back-up vocals. Since I read that I cannot un-hear it when I listen to this song.

1980's: 1983, The Curly Shuffle.

Extreme - More Than Words

I think this was their one big hit? Got overplayed at the time from what I remember but still a very nice song. My brother said he still can't listen to it anymore. He had a coworker going thru a break up at the time this song came out and that is all he would play...:D

Technically not in the 70s, but that's when I was listening to it--and just two years off!

Kind of funny, of 14 posts so far, two are "firsts" for me.

They're Coming to Take Me Away was the first 45 I got and Bloodrock was the first concert I went to. I won tickets from a radio station and Rare Earth was the headliner with Bloodrock and Crystal Mansion (local group) opening.

This one-hit wonder from the 80s could well be the FIRE theme song. But people either love this song, or hate it with a vengeance:

"New York, London, Paris, Munich..."

Nice finds so far..... bringing back some great memories of songs not heard for a while... Thanks [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom