Post your favorite 70s/80's one hit wonders here.

I'll bet just about everyone remembers this HUGE one-hit wonder from 1979.

Hooked on a Feellng by Blue Swede was a good song, but the opening was right out of the stone age. No sure whose idea it was to start with “ Ooga-Chaka Ooga-Ooga” but it must have been embarrassing for the band members to sing.

Was (Not Was) - Walk the Dinosaur

The famous ooga-chaka ooga-oogas that you hear at the opening of Blue Swede’s version was a result of a separate cover version of “Hooked on a Feeling.” In 1971, English singer/songwriter Jonathan King recorded his own version of the track and added the famous chant. King was inspired to add the oogas and chakas after listening to Johnny Preston’s 1959 song “Running Bear.”
https://americansongwriter.com/the-...hit-wonder-hooked-on-a-feeling-by-blue-swede/

Last edited:
Another one hit song that did quite well with its target audience. “It’s a Gas” by Mad Magazine.

Out of respect for the viewing members I won’t post a link.

Last edited:
His next single "Him" went to #6. I remember the song but I didn't realize it was so high on the charts. A two-hitter

I'll bet just about everyone remembers this HUGE one-hit wonder from 1979.
Peña Colada video

Last edited:
Low Rider - another great cowbell tune.

That was a one-hit wonder? Always loved that!

Pair that with Put The Lime in the Coconut

Harry Nilsson had other hits though including my fav Jump into the Fire

Last edited:
I love this thread!

Does anyone remember, "Thunder and Lightning" by Chi Coltrane?

Oh, yeah. What an incredible song and incredible voice. I bought the album.

Another one hit song that did quite well with its target audience. “It’s a Gas” by Mad Magazine.

Out of respect for the viewing members I won’t post a link.

Thank you for NOT sharing.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a one-hit wonder? Always loved that!

Pair that with Put The Lime in the Coconut

Harry Nilsson had other hits though including my fav Jump into the Fire

I don't think War was a one hit wonder, as they also had Spill the Wine, Cisco Kid and Why Can't we be Friends? I was just commenting on Midpack's post.

Last edited:
His next single "Him" went to #6. I remember the song but I didn't realize it was so high on the charts. A two-hitter

Yep, I discovered that when looking him up on Wikipedia earlier. I think I remember him as a one-hitter because "Escape" was such an enormous, sensational, mega hit compared to anything else he did. That's often the case with so called one-hit wonders, as some of them do have minor successes with other songs and albums.

99 red balloons? Here’s the original German language version

In Germany they may have been more popular so I’m not sure if that qualifies as a one hit wonder.

Last edited:
I don't think War was a one hit wonder, as they also had Spill the Wine, Cisco Kid and Why Can't we be Friends? I was just commenting on Midpack's post.

OK - thanks. I've gotta catch up with their hits. I see they also did "The World is a Ghetto", a great song which I didn't realize was theirs originally. We always heard the George Benson cover.

War was definitely not a one-hit wonder. They also happen to be one of my "top five" artists. Their "crossover" hits included:

- (With Eric Burdon) Spill The Wine
- The World is a Ghetto
- Slipping into Darkness
- All Day Music
- The Cisco Kid
- Me and Baby Brother
- Gypsy Man
- Low Rider
- Why Can't We Be Friends
- Ballero
- Summer
- Galaxy

They also had a number of additional hits in the R&B/dance vein (Outlaw, You've Got the Power, Youngblood, Good Good Feeling, etc.). Their albums were staples of AOR radio, particularly at a time when AOR did not feature many R&B acts.

The more you know... :).

A couple of "we have relationship issues" one hit wonders from the 80s :):

Another one I like(d) from the 80’s, just different:

I love this thread!

Does anyone remember, "Thunder and Lightning" by Chi Coltrane?

I remember the song at the time, I thought it was so great and exciting.

I discovered that video a few years ago, my gosh, she's so beautiful and sexy and powerful as all get out. Some of those lines just make me melt, she delivers them with such passion.

...Oh! What a good thing I've got
Oh it's such a good thing I've got
I don't think I can stand it

I thought my life was complete
But look what you've doin' to me
Oh! You're makin' me crazy
Thunder and Lightning
I tell you it's frightening
It's thunder and lightning
And you're in control

I don't know how to handle it
It's more than I would dare
I wouldn't try to run from it
It reaches me everywhere

I'm feelin' dizzy and weak
You make me forget how to speak

I was spending time in the clubs in Chicago a few years after she went big, so I missed seeing her in the local clubs. She's classically trained.

-ERD50

Men Without Hats - Safety Dance. I think this was their one hit

Makin' It by David Naughton-really popular during my disco days!

https://www.google.com/search?q=mak...ate=ive&vld=cid:f9e6c98c,vid:ln7HrIJw__I,st:0

Speaking of disco :hide:, The one hit wonder that first brought disco to the mainstream in 1975, a few years before Saturday Night Fever:

Interesting fact: Van McCoy died less than a week before the infamous "Disco Demolition Night" at Comiskey Park in Chicago in 1979.

And, the one hit wonder from 1976 that satirized disco:

Last edited:
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance. I think this was their one hit

Wow, had no idea it was that old! 1982. Well now that I’ve seen the original video I remember it playing a lot on MTV back then.

Here is my favorite video version of it from the Versailles cast. I had completely forgotten the song when this came out 5 years ago and assumed it was more modern as these actors are very young.

Last edited:
This may be my favorite thread of all time! I have definitely been on the one hit bunny trail this evening. It lead me to this amazing song...

Back
Top Bottom