Post your favorite 70s/80's one hit wonders here.

Perhaps we need a thread regarding "For which songs do you enjoy the cover version more than the original?" Among others, I would include the Beatles' "I Get by With a Little Help From my Friends" covered by Joe Cocker and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" covered by Elton John.

I would add to that "All Along the Watchtower" covered by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, which made Hendrix a "one-hit wonder" in 1968. Bob Dylan liked that version so much, he has performed it in that style in live concerts.

There are a ton of covers that are better/more popular than the original, but very few of them are One Hit Wonders. I don't think Hendrix qualifies, with Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Voodoo Child, The Wind Cries Mary...It would make a good thread though.

Tainted Love by Soft Cell (mentioned earlier in the thread) is one of them. It was written and originally released by Gloria Jones, Motown queen and former member of T-Rex. Her version kicked butt, but never got as popular as the Soft Cell version.

There are a ton of covers that are better/more popular than the original, but very few of them are One Hit Wonders. I don't think Hendrix qualifies, with Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Voodoo Child, The Wind Cries Mary...It would make a good thread though.

I am just going by Billboard's technical definition of a "one hit wonder" :). Hendrix of course had many great rock tracks, but only "All Along The Watchtower" crossed over to become a mainstream pop hit.

One half of this duo was from the Parliament-Funkadelic musicians collective. Their only album contained this top 10 hit:

I am just going by Billboard's technical definition of a "one hit wonder" :). Hendrix of course had many great rock tracks, but only "All Along The Watchtower" crossed over to become a mainstream pop hit.

You're right again. My memory is faulty (big surprise there, ask DW). I could have sworn at least Purple Haze made it into the top 40. Or Foxy Lady. Ima gonna give up on this.

You're right again. My memory is faulty (big surprise there, ask DW). I could have sworn at least Purple Haze made it into the top 40. Or Foxy Lady. Ima gonna give up on this.

Please do not give up - it is a fun thread no matter what :).

Sampled by Sugar Ray in their hit "Every Morning", this was the only hit by the band Malo, started by Carlos Santana's brother, Jorge Santana. From 1972. Among the first times I performed Karaoke :eek:, I sang this for DW, figuring the crowd would be kinder to me if I sang a song dedicated to her (HA!). When we saw Santana last year in concert, he played this song in memory of Jorge:

Living Colour, "Cult of Personality". From 1988, yet still topical. And a killer guitar solo.

This showed up on that YouTube link: :LOL:
Wow, what a blast from the past. The hair too!

Last edited:
Here is another huge crossover hit from the 70s:

While the song never crossed over to the Billboard Hot 100, our college station (being Jazz and R&B) played the heck out of this album when it came out. So I am partial to it :).

Living Colour, "Cult of Personality". From 1988, yet still topical. And a killer guitar solo.

Maybe a "two-hit" wonder, as their song "Glamour Boys" was also a hit (but not as big as "Cult of Personality")

While the song never crossed over to the Billboard Hot 100, our college station (being Jazz and R&B) played the heck out of this album when it came out. So I am partial to it :).
Yeah, I loved the whole album, especially the bass!

Too many to mention. Everlasting Love - Carl Carlton Knock on Wood, Eddie Floyd..just off the top of my head..but i was in radio and played most of them for 20 years so i'll never have one singular favorite LOL.

Great Thread! I used to watch that Midnight Special TV show every week. My first record I bought was the 45 of the song Thunder Island by Jay Ferguson. 1977. I believe that Joe Walsh plays guitar on the song ... which is fitting since my first real album I bought was Hotel California.

I thought this guy did a good spoof on my sharona during covid aka my corona. . . (wrong decade though).
Edited to add looks like he has added 2 more similar!

Last edited:
Both had other hits but here's a duo that I think qualifies.

Heh, heh, not sure, but don't think anyone posted this one yet. A classic.

Back
Top Bottom