Post your favorite 70s/80's one hit wonders here.

Fun song! But definitely not a 1HW. They also had Manic Monday, and Hazy Shade of Winter, both reaching #2 on the charts. I still do the Egyptian Walk at inappropriate times.

And Eternal Flame hit #1, and In Your Room #5.

The Bellamy Brothers had just one Billboard Top 10 hit, but went on to be quite successful on the country charts.

Love the innocent, fun hearts expressed in this American Bandstand video from 1976.

Here's one from 1973 that I believe was Mike Oldfield's only big hit in the sense we are writing here. He had many albums and played for many years, but never had another traditionally big hit. Brings back memories:

Last edited:
How about Patty Smyth but with Scandal instead of her solo career?

Anyone remember this one? Billy Vera and the Beaters "At this Moment". Always loved that song.

The Babys - Every Time I Think Of You

They also scored with "Isn't it Time" and "Back on My Feet Again", both US Top 40 hits.

And of course lead singer John Waite had several solo hits including US#1 "Missing You".

Great singer!

Last edited:
Anyone remember this one? Billy Vera and the Beaters "At this Moment". Always loved that song.

Yeah, I do remember it now, but it never gets any air play on the oldies stations I listen to. Thanks for sharing. Great song and song style.

Another one of my personal favorite OHWs. Actually T'Pau was much bigger in the UK but only scored this one hit in the USA as far as I know.

Here's one from 1973 that I believe was Mike Oldfield's only big hit in the sense we are writing here. He had many albums and played for many years, but never had another traditionally big hit. Brings back memories:

Ah, "Tubular Bells", as the single release was called in the U.S. I need to make it a rington for a few of my phone contacts :).

A group of studio musicians who played on hit records for many R&B artists from the "Philly Sound" genre were one-hit wonders on their MFSB with "TSOP", a #1 hit which became the "Soul Train" theme after it was released:

Our Megacorp (among others, based on my friends at the time) used this song so much in various "corporate motivational" meetings in the 80s that it became fingernails on a chalkboard for me at the time:

Last edited:
Another one-hit wonder actor - "Yippie-Ki-Yay, Staple Singers!" (in a good way :)):

Last edited:
Our Megacorp (among others, based on my friends at the time) used this song so much in various "corporate motivational" meetings in the 80s that it became fingernails on a chalkboard for me at time:

One of my friends bought me the single in 1986, while I was in school studying nuclear science (for the second time).

I miss Soul Train.

But I must have stopped watching by 1980. I had no idea it continued until 2006!

Tons of oldie videos.

Last edited:
"Good Girls Don't" off the same album was also a hit.

Donnie Iris only (real) hit though he participated with other groups and wrote other hits IIRC.

I think he had another big hit, but I always loved this one.

Hyperactive was pretty popular, but I'm not sure where it charted. I like them both, but Huperactive was my favorite of the two.

Back
Top Bottom