Potential identity theft AND cannot verify identities at Equifax and Experian

Safire

Recycles dryer sheets
I must be going through a really bad time.

At the outset, as someone whose identity was compromised before, my credit files had been frozen / locked. However, I was always able to retrieve my credit reports online.

Last week, I had an experience where I suspected my identity has been stolen. And, as if on cue, I am now no longer able to verify my identity online at Equifax or Experian when I request my credit report via annualcreditreport.com

I have a small credit file, only 1 credit card, 1 closed out car loan, and 1 open car loan. I answered all the identity questions correctly, including two to which the answers were NONE OF THE ABOVE. Then I am told that my identity cannot be verified online to send in copies of my personal documents to verify my id.

I read online that the inability to verify id does not necessarily mean that someone has assumed my identity but it does freak me, out.

Help! What should I do next? I don't want to assume anything but the fact that my identity can no longer be verified is troubling. My id verification DOES work with Transunion and I see nothing to be suspicious of but who knows if my file will eventually be compromised or not?

Should I send in my documents to the PO Box in Georgia, c/o Annual Credit Reports?

Please help!

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting Equifax and Experian directly?

I can't seem to get a HUMAN at either agency! Is there a number I should try calling?

I created a/cs online and my pwd for both don't work anymore. I am just overwhelmed and frustrated

Sometimes credit card companies give assist with identity fraud as a feature of their card. Maybe you can check with your credit card issuer if they do such. If so, explain your troubles to them and maybe they will assist you to get some answers?

Use TransAmerica, it works better than some.

Equifax is really EquiFool, In my opinion their solution after being hacked was to make it super hard to do stuff online by making it not work.

These outfits ask questions that are impossible to answer. Specific dollar amounts of paid off loans from years ago. Goofy stuff no one would remember. They set up mandatory pins that worked fine and then abandoned those for passwords but wouldn't let you sign up for the password with your pin. Nooo, gotta go through the questionnaire. And, when you want a loan, you can't just unfreeze one account, you have to unfreeze all of them.

What should I do, aside from reporting to the local LE agency that my identity may have been compromised? I am really worried!

What should I do, aside from reporting to the local LE agency that my identity may have been compromised? I am really worried!

You need to get hold of Experian and Equifax first. You don't have enough data to support a report to law enforcement.

Try this number for Equifax:
Phone
800-525-6285

Hours

M-F 9am-9pm EST

Sat-Sun 9am-6pm EST

Experian is closed on the weekend:
Customer support
1 800 831 5614

Monday - Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Phone hours are Central Time Zone

You need to get hold of Experian and Equifax first. You don't have enough data to support a report to law enforcement.

That's true BUT I was informed that I was a victim of info theft.

My question is when / how should I proceed once I find out my ID is indeed being used by someone else? Should I keep doing weekly monitoring of my credit report? This is going to a REAL PITA if I can no longer request it online! Help!

Last edited:
That's true BUT I was informed that I was a victim of info theft.

My question is when / how should I proceed once I find out my ID is indeed being used by someone else? Should I keep doing weekly monitoring of my credit report? This is going to a REAL PITA if I can no longer request it online! Help!

Who informed you?

In addition to the suggestions above, I'd also suggest creating an account on creditkarma.com. It's free. They get updates from Experian and Equifax at least once a week, so you can see if there are new accounts under your name quickly and easily.

The screenshot below is part of what I see after I login. Going to "View details" in the Total Accounts section will show each credit card with its balance, limit, and payment history.

Attachments

• creditkarma.jpg
    creditkarma.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
In addition to the suggestions above, I'd also suggest creating an account on creditkarma.com. It's free. They get updates from Experian and Equifax at least once a week, so you can see if there are new accounts under your name quickly and easily.

Dumb and paranoid question but prefer to ask anyway. Is CreditKarma safe?

The person who was responsible for keeping my information safe. There was a break-in and paperwork was stolen, among them a document containing my ENTIRE life history.

So this is alot more serious than what we have understood from your first post when you mentioned "potential theft". The fact that there was a break-in and paperwork was stolen, was a police report filed? If not, why not? This needs to go to law enforcement for sure.

Dumb and paranoid question but prefer to ask anyway. Is CreditKarma safe?

Seems fine to me, I've been using it for years. But the more you know about "safe" and any online business, the more concern you'll have. Just think of how many companies have been 'hacked'.

You can always fill-out a form, scan& print a utility bill, SS Card, etc (just follow the instructions), and mail to the place that annualcreditreport.com specifies. you will get a hard copy of your credit report from the big 3. This technique has always worked for me when the online stuff hasn't.

The person who was responsible for keeping my information safe. There was a break-in and paperwork was stolen, among them a document containing my ENTIRE life history.

Huh? This sounds like something out of a spy novel....

My son was unable to verify his identity with Equifax recently when he was signing up for his own health insurance (vs mine) on CoveredCA. It was because he didn't have enough credit history to have valid questions. He was able to get verified with CoveredCA by having an agent upload copies of his passport and DL.

As for identity theft - you mentioned your credit was locked... Is it still? With all 3 agencies? If so no one can open a new account (even you) without unlocking. So take a deep breathe and take a beat... Call on Monday to find out why you can't log in anymore.

^ yes exactly

And from many similar accounts I've read here, unlocking credit is quite often a huge PITA, and OP's experience is quite common.

So in lieu of a lock, I prefer to monitor. I have credit karma and others, all they do is scan your reports on the regular. But it's very frequent, so you apply for a credit card and you'll get an email later that day. New account gets opened, same thing, change to score, etc.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with "a break-in and paperwork" either.

Paperwork?

Yeah, don't sweat it, I froze my credit back during the "big hack" and I can't even get credit and I tried at Home Depot and my own bank. So it works.

Back
Top Bottom