Practical Advice Beyond Dryer Sheets

In the smoke detector section at Wal Mart today, they were selling a "5-year" alkaline battery branded for use in smoke detectors. Kinda takes the wind out of the sails of the "change twice a year" crowd.

I'm beginning to suspect that the "about one year" lifespan that the manufacturers estimate is based on low-end, non-alkaline, non-heavy-duty, cheap-O batteries. It's no surprise the name-brand alkalines last 5-10 years.

Now, what about those short power cords they put on tools and toasters? Why aren't we allowed to make toast more than 8" from an outlet?

Now, what about those short power cords they put on tools and toasters? Why aren't we allowed to make toast more than 8" from an outlet?

Toaster-falls-in-bathtub protection?

Alternatively: most people use toasters in kitchens with plenty of outlets, so long cords are annoying and costly?

You could have simply turned UP the heat a few degrees for the nights you were there.

It took me a couple of nights to make the connection with the temperature. By that time, I already made up my mind to check out and come back with the ladder next time.

Recently discovered batteries at Dollar TREE, where all is $1. A few different brands of batteries, even. They have more "heavy duty" than alkaline batteries, but you can find them if you root around. Had good luck so far.

When I buy batteries at the dollar stores, I would not pay more than $1 for 4 AA or AAA alkaline batteries. No "heavy duty" junk for me. Even then, I now can get the same deal at the nearby Fry's Electronics any day. And Fry's occasionally have 8 alkalines on sale for $1.

Now, 9V batteries are something else. Alkaline 9V at dollar stores are rare as hen's teeth. But for my DVMs which I forget to turn off, I do buy zinc-carbon 9V, but it has to be $1 for 2. Yes, $1 for a pack of 2, and they do have that occasionally, as everything is $1 whether it's a single or double pack.

Last edited:

I kinda agree with the follow up post, kitchens have lots of outlets, not really a problem, and actually a benefit - no long cord taking up room if you store your toaster in a cabinet when not being used, like we do.

However, the most recent toaster I bought, has that short cord, and it comes out the side right at the front! That is really awkward, and effectively knocks almost a foot off the length. Can't figure that one out, other than stupidity on the product team.

-ERD50

There have been a few (very few) incidents in which the old-style gas cans can build up a charge of static electricity while fuel is being poured which in turn can create an explosion/fire. So whoever in the government who decides these things decided to make them differently, supposedly to prevent that.

I guess it matters if you're one of the people who got burned, but know of no incidents myself.

The new accordion style self-venting spouts are a pet peeve of mine. Several of mine have cracks in them and are rendered useless as soon as they get them. Thankfully I have a stock of old style spouts and vented cans and continue to fish various bits out of the recycle bin when I see them in there at the transfer station.

I might add that thanks to a misspent youth, I have first hand knowledge that it is actually quite hard to get a gas can to 'explode'. Personally performed many experiments lighting various vapours on fire and worse... didn't even manage to get singed eyebrows. Now lighting the charcoal BBQ is another story altogether. :)

BYW, I remember when Alkaline was a player for the Tigers, not a battery type!

Me too. I used to have a mini-bat with his autograph that we played mini-baseball in the backyard with a tennis ball. Poor man's wiffle ball! The 1968 Tigers and Mickey Lolich were my heros!

I always wait for the smoke detector to beep to replace the batteries, they last a long time.

We do that too. They always go off in the middle of the night but I just turn on a heater in that room and the warmer air extends the battery a little longer and I can go back to sleep and change them the next day.

I always wait for the smoke detector to beep to replace the batteries, they last a long time.

I guess I only have old gas cans as mine all have an air vent at the back so the gas will flow out fast.

What I hate, is gas with alcohol in it made from corn. Great for corn farmers, but nobody tells you how that gas ruins old motors, raises the price of corn, which affects feed and meat prices.
Perhaps because gas became cheaper than corn alcohol, we are now paying extra for less energy packed fuel since producers by law have to put alcohol in the gas.

It is really in that case a back to the future moment here. Recall that in 1900 30% of us crops went to feed horses and oxen. (Both on farms and in cities) I doubt that ethanol is up to 30% of total cropland.

I might add that thanks to a misspent youth, I have first hand knowledge that it is actually quite hard to get a gas can to 'explode'. Personally performed many experiments lighting various vapours on fire and worse... didn't even manage to get singed eyebrows. Now lighting the charcoal BBQ is another story altogether. :)

You're very fortunate. A neighbor and good friend spent several very agonizing months in a burn institute after fooling around with a gas can and fire. Probably one reason I'm so irritated by gov't regulations which insist on making us use spouts that splash and gurgle so much.

I wasn't there, so I don't know if "explode" is the right word. That requires a fairly specific fuel-air ratio. But still...

I feel very fortunate. I had a wonderful childhood. The fuel:air ratio is the key for sure. More likely to encounter it pumping gas at the station on a hot summer's day I think. OTOH one does want to be careful with on a hot day with a can that is nearly empty but again it's difficult. Hydrogen-oxygen explosions are much more impressive. But again, be careful or perhaps lucky or both.

While working as a supervisor in a coal mine, most laws require removal of total power at 1% methane, and removal of all persons, except those to help with immediate ventilation, in the immediate area. The explosive range for methane is 5-10%, ignition temp is 1163 degrees F. The biggest danger with ignitions in coal mine is the initial explosion puts coal dust in air, perpetuates and creates bigger explosions in a confined area.
Gasoline is ignited at 495 degrees, 1.4-7.6% is the explosive range.
However, working with real explosives, is a blast! Pun intended.

Dust explosions can be incredible. Coal, grain, wood, etc. I remember being impressed in Grade 9 science class by the candle in the paint can experiment. A handful of starch was blown into it creating a very impressive fireball if the lid were off and a large explosion if the lid were on the can. I'm sure they haven't done that demonstration for many years. From the practical point I can remember reading of grain elevator and mine explosions caused by dust.

I don't have "smoke" detectors in my house. I have "Hadenuff IS MAKING TOAST AGAIN!!! RUN AWAY!!!! CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT" detectors.

Also "OMYGOD!!! THE OVEN IS BEING PRE-HEATED TO 400 DEGREES AGAIN. RUN AWAY!! CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!!!"

I hate the darn things.

I don't have "smoke" detectors in my house. I have "Hadenuff IS MAKING TOAST AGAIN!!! RUN AWAY!!!! CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT" detectors.

Also "OMYGOD!!! THE OVEN IS BEING PRE-HEATED TO 400 DEGREES AGAIN. RUN AWAY!! CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!!!"

I hate the darn things.

Get the ones with a MUTE button. Will silence it for 5 minutes or so. Some can even be activated with a TV remote.

-ERD50

I put lithium batteries in all my detectors - won't have to worry about them again until the detector needs replacing. The "2X year" is to check the batteries, not replace them!

Lithium batteries also have the advantage of not being affected by cold. I put a heat detector in my attached garage and was annoyed by it chirping when the temperature dropped. Lithium battery fixed that too.

I hate the darn things.

You probably have fire detectors.

You could also get kitchen smoke detectors or just do like I do, and press the silence button on the detector.

Back
Top Bottom