Pre-diabetic?

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I had a lab test today and the results show I am pre-diabetic with a glucose of 104. 100-125 is prediabetic with 126+ being diabetic. So I am on the low side but over 100 for the first time ever. Anyone find themselves in this range? What did you do to get it to stay below 125? I'm not going to change my diet much and I can't increase my activity without increasing my chronic pain. I'm not overweight and don't smoke. I'm only 44.

My doctors have always said they started to be concerned at 106 and higher, so you're close. Were you fasting before the test? That can throw it off a lot.

The simplest answer is to cut way back on carbs in your diet.

Here's a good source of information:
https://ericwestmanmd.com

He explains things in a very easy to understand way.

My doctors have always said they started to be concerned at 106 and higher, so you're close. Were you fasting before the test? That can throw it off a lot.

The simplest answer is to cut way back on carbs in your diet.

Here's a good source of information:
https://ericwestmanmd.com

He explains things in a very easy to understand way.

I did fast. I eat at least 3 peanut butter sandwiches every day so there are some carbs there. By sandwich I mean one piece of bread folded in half. I also have oatmeal for breakfast every day so that's more carbs. That doesn't seem like an excessive amount though. I don't eat a lot of food in general. I am 6'5"+ and weigh 175 pounds.

My doctor does not get overly concerned by an occasional glucose score that is high. Has your doctor asked you to get an A1C test? That’s the test I get done every 3-6 months for diabetes tracking. You want to keep that below 6.0.

IMHO by far the best place to hang out for useful information and diverse experiences: https://www.diabetesdaily.com

In my case just about elimaniting sugar, reduceing carbs and timed eating/intermitment fasting took my blood sugar down significantly enough to not have to go on insulin.

Remarkable variation in blood sugar issues but there are some recurrant patterns, like overweight, which I am not either.

And yes to the A1C test, it is not the complete story but does tell a lot, espically over time. And you can find a cheap ($20) glucose meter and test one or more times a day to find patterns and reactions to specific foods.

HFCS

The sneaky problem is HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). That crap is in everything. And its sugar. Read labels, avoid that stuff.

My doctor does not get overly concerned by an occasional glucose score that is high. Has your doctor asked you to get an A1C test? That’s the test I get done every 3-6 months for diabetes tracking. You want to keep that below 6.0.

No mention of A1C test. I just had this lab test done today ahead of my annual physical next week.

The sneaky problem is HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup). That crap is in everything. And its sugar. Read labels, avoid that stuff.

I don't think I consume much of that. I don't drink soda unless my family takes me out to eat which is maybe once or twice a month. It is in the cookies I eat for a after-dinner snack so may have to cut down on those.

I'm not going to change my diet much.

I did fast. I eat at least 3 peanut butter sandwiches every day so there are some carbs there. By sandwich I mean one piece of bread folded in half. I also have oatmeal for breakfast every day so that's more carbs.

Without changing your diet, there's not a lot to work with, but you can make better choices in the same categories. IE, look for high fiber whole wheat bread (not white). Look at the sugars and fiber count to make better choices in the bread department.

Peanut butter can also vary widely in terms of sugar content - you want low sugar, no added sugar, stuff like that.

It is in the cookies I eat for a after-dinner snack so may have to cut down on those.

Yeah, you don't want a lot of sugar later in the day. It's worse than earlier, as it doesn't have any place to go in terms of getting burned for energy, before you go to bed. So if you can change that out for nuts, or just have a bigger dinner by adding veggies so you don't have a later sweet snack? Or save them for maybe twice a week as a treat instead of daily.

For oatmeal, avoid the 1 minute version. You don't have to go steel-cut, but the old-fashioned kind is supposed to be better vs. the 1minute.

Last edited:
I had a lab test today and the results show I am pre-diabetic with a glucose of 104. 100-125 is prediabetic with 126+ being diabetic. So I am on the low side but over 100 for the first time ever. Anyone find themselves in this range? What did you do to get it to stay below 125? I'm not going to change my diet much and I can't increase my activity without increasing my chronic pain. I'm not overweight and don't smoke. I'm only 44.

104 is barely out of range. Pre-diabetic needs to be confirmed with an A1C test.

DH has for decades tested 101, 102. Doctors never worry about it. He did eventually test his A1C and it was below pre-diabetic range.

It is however good to reduce consumption of sugars and starchy carbs. Prevent the body from getting overloaded and getting the pancreas and liver in trouble.

Unfortunately bread and cereal grains, (oatmeal, breakfast cereals) do bring in a large carb load, as do fruit juices, sodas, and anything with added sugar and/or flour especially desserts/sweets. These foods are also highly processed - break down quickly and easily overload the liver.

Last edited:
I was in the high 90’s then started intermittent fasting, reducing carbs, keeping up exercise. I dropped back into the 80’s and have stayed there.

What did the doctor say? I’m not up on my understanding of all tests, but generally, they need to be interpreted as a whole. Not just one number. Is your weight good (seems to be), is your blood pressure in range, is your cholesterol good, . . .? Your doctor and you should discuss your overall health and determine if this is a concern.

I can say that diet is a significant way to improve health so I hope you’re open to making some changes if necessary. For one, if you’re eating a lot of peanut butter, make sure it isn’t loaded with sugar. Sugar and empty carbs in general need to be watched.

No mention of A1C test. I just had this lab test done today ahead of my annual physical next week.

Yes, you should absolutely ask for that. The normal fasting blood glucose test that you had is just a snapshot in time, showing your state at that moment. An A1C test will show the general state over the past few months, and is far more useful in diagnosis.

My doctor said insurance won't cover A1C unless they have other reasons to check. IDK what is high enough to be a "reason" as my fasting glucose was 74 and that wasn't it.

I don't think I consume much of that. I don't drink soda unless my family takes me out to eat which is maybe once or twice a month. It is in the cookies I eat for a after-dinner snack so may have to cut down on those.

Honestly, it's in most anything that is processed and it's like a drug. Read a ketchup bottle label sometime.

I think the doctor was trying to give you a head's up, rather than warning of a dire condition. Blood glucose of 104 is not scary high. It really cannot be interpreted alone. A1c would be nice, lipid levels matter and it would be great to test for inflammation markers. Also, any history of liver disease figures into this. You are well within "normal" weight range. We all have some body fat. What really matters is where the fat is located. A "spare tire" around the middle or fat in the belly is the most concerning.

Google "metabolic syndrome", which in the old days was called "syndrome x". You'll find plenty of helpful suggestions for lifestyle modifications to head off any real problem. Upgrade diet quality (veggies, fruits, beans, whole grains, healthy fats, etc), physical activity, plenty of sleep (check for sleep apnea), stress reduction, low alcohol intake. All of these can be eased into. No radical life alteration needed.
Best wishes for good health!!

What did the doctor say? I’m not up on my understanding of all tests, but generally, they need to be interpreted as a whole. Not just one number. Is your weight good (seems to be), is your blood pressure in range, is your cholesterol good, . . .? Your doctor and you should discuss your overall health and determine if this is a concern.

I can say that diet is a significant way to improve health so I hope you’re open to making some changes if necessary. For one, if you’re eating a lot of peanut butter, make sure it isn’t loaded with sugar. Sugar and empty carbs in general need to be watched.

Cholesterol was 164 so no problem there. All good except the glucose as far as blood work goes.

My doctor said insurance won't cover A1C unless they have other reasons to check. IDK what is high enough to be a "reason" as my fasting glucose was 74 and that wasn't it.

"not covered" is a silly reason to avoid most blood tests if you think they might be helpful to you. You can purchase them retail for very little in most cases. For example, Quest labs will do A1C - on sale now lol - for $33. I don't doubt that's less than what I'd pay as my actual insurance-negotiated pre-deductible price.

Even things like a CBC or Lipid panel are usually well under $100 if you want to get more tests than your doctor prescribes, or more frequently, like you want to check your cholesterol at 6 months vs. yearly.

It just happens that I asked the doctor why I'd never had one since obviously other people get them. I don't really care what it is as it is not really likely to be an issue based on family history anyway.

I was a bit surprised when I went to the kidney doctor they did more blood work than I usually get at a physical but it was normal range stuff - just more specific. Instead of "egfr over 60" it was "egfr is 106" and so on.

I have had a crap ton of blood tests this year and the only thing wrong they don't even care about . . . /sigh.

Last edited:
"not covered" is a silly reason to avoid most blood tests if you think they might be helpful to you. You can purchase them retail for very little in most cases. For example, Quest labs will do A1C - on sale now lol - for $33. I don't doubt that's less than what I'd pay as my actual insurance-negotiated pre-deductible price.

Even things like a CBC or Lipid panel are usually well under $100 if you want to get more tests than your doctor prescribes, or more frequently, like you want to check your cholesterol at 6 months vs. yearly.

I'm on my states equivalent to Medicaid. Any out of pocket amount is too much for me and people like me. I can't work due to chronic pain but can't get any benefits for it so I live very cheap(<$8K this year not counting my $3500 property tax bill). Even a $30 bill for a non-necessity is too much for me to spend.

If requestatest.com is available in your area, get the a1c test. You choose a local Quest or LabCorp office, make an appointment and in my area it's $39. Results on-line typically the next day. No BS, no surprise bills. Cheap prevention.

My fasting glucose runs between 98-105, has been as high as 112. My a1c was most recently 5.3 but was running 5.8-6.0 10 years ago, which is when I started paying attention.

Like you, I'm a healthy weight and can't exercise much more than I do (isn't an hour of cardio in the AM and half an hour on the treadmill in the PM enough?). What's made a difference is cutting back on bread, potatoes, rice and sugar and trying to get more lean protein into my diet. I rarely drink wine or beer although I like them- I have a couple of ounces of scotch every night instead. Less sugar, more buzz.

Totally agreed on high-fructose corn syrup- it's evil. Read the labels and look at the carb levels, including "Net carbs", which subtracts the carbs from fiber and some "sugar alcohols" that are not digestible. Look into keto diets as well- you don't have to do them 100% (I don't) but they give you a general direction.

And this is not the end of desserts for you! I relax when I'm traveling (good thing because on my last trip, a group tour of Bulgaria, Romania and Serbia, lunches and dinners seemed to be 90% bread, potatoes and desserts). But, if you get your a1c under control now you can allow yourself cheat days once in awhile.

I'll have to ask about the A1C next week and if she doesn't order it then maybe i'll get it done one time for $30-something. Not doing it more than once a year at that price though.

It is funny how different doctors are. I know someone who just had a high blood sugar reading (123) and the doctor didn't care because they started a new med that would raise it. . . I thought that was excessive but none of my business. . .

Back
Top Bottom