Pre-diabetic?

That 275g is based on a 2000 calorie diet. Being as big as I am 6'6" 175 I can't reasonably eat less than 2000 calories for long before becoming emaciated. I burn that much doing minimal activity. I could drop from 200g carbs per day down to 100 but that would require eating more protein to get enough calories to function which is more expensive. Also many protein sources could increase my cholesterol and cause other issues so that is not necessarily a great solution either.

Balancing your carbs and protein is the issue, most probably, but generally speaking high and uncontrolled blood sugar is a bigger issue then cholesterol. Now a swap out of oatmeal for eggs is something you could consider. I'll leave it at that.

1. You stated you have chronic pain, are you taking meds for that? Steroids are know to elevated glucose levels. In addition, Statins, antidepressants, and some antibiotics can increase glucose levels.

2. You mentioned you're not looking to change your diet -- that you do feel your dietary intake is not awful. Diet is the first place you should look. Unless you track the foods you eat, you are most likely underestimated the calories, carbs and fat you consume. An excellent app to track nutritional values of the foods you eat is: www.myfitnesspal.com. The app has a free/ad-free, more features for a cost.

3. Agree with the need for a A1C. Being only 44, you need to manage this.

Aaron you mention your need for pain meds. Are these OTC, RX meds ?, since this is a new change for you something might be connected with the pain relievers you are taking.

I really feel for you as you have had some bad breaks along the way. If there is a diabetic issue it's best to think about it now. Between your pain and income restraints things will be harder to turn around if they worsen. Generally your diet wouldn't be considered a healthy diet, but I'm pretty sure you are aware of that. Cheap, filling foods are very seldom low carb foods.

We're not going to pester you with food/diet tips but are all here if you want to ask questions.

Just OTC pain meds. I take 1000mg Acetaminophen 3 times a day and Ibuprofen added on top of that as needed, usually 600mg any time I do any physical activity. My PCP offered Meloxicam in place of the Ibuprofen but I didn't take a RX for it since I had just bought a 1000 count bottle of Ibuprofen. No other RX so that shouldn't contribute to high glucose. My PCP was not concerned about the glucose. She just said we would check it yearly instead of every 3 years. I'm going to reduce my cookie snacking and replace with nuts and will decrease my bread use by eating peanut butter without the bread most of the time. See if that helps.

Eat that peanut butter on some celery sticks.

I had a lab test today and the results show I am pre-diabetic with a glucose of 104. 100-125 is prediabetic with 126+ being diabetic. So I am on the low side but over 100 for the first time ever. Anyone find themselves in this range? What did you do to get it to stay below 125? I'm not going to change my diet much and I can't increase my activity without increasing my chronic pain. I'm not overweight and don't smoke. I'm only 44.

I've had a fasting glucose in the 90-100 range for years, once it was over 100. Low carb initially did not bring it down, but I've been exercising much more and losing weight (which I needed to do), and the fasting glucose was 80 :dance:. HbA1C is still a bit higher than I'd like at 5.7, but it hasn't changed much in 10 years. Low carb the last few years, not keto. Lipid numbers are now very good. Extremely strong family history of diabetes, so there's that. I think the fasting glucose is lower because I've been building muscle.

A HbA1C gives a picture of what your glucose has been over the last 3 months, and probably is worth checking, in light of the elevated fasting glucose. You can get a HbA1C on your own through Quest or LabCorp, or ask your doc to order it. Both LabCorp and Quest will do these without a doctor's order. It's not an expensive test.

BTW, I Googled HbA1c and apparently a lot of the labs are having a "Black Friday Special". I guess they aren't busy around the holidays! I've seen prices less than $20!

You don't have to be overweight to have insulin resistance or become a Type2 diabetic. If you have a low lean mass (low muscle mass), you may be at risk for diabetes even though you are not overweight. This has been found to be true especially for Asian Americans.

https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library/spotlights/diabetes-asian-americans.html

I had a lab test today and the results show I am pre-diabetic with a glucose of 104. 100-125 is prediabetic with 126+ being diabetic. So I am on the low side but over 100 for the first time ever. Anyone find themselves in this range? What did you do to get it to stay below 125? I'm not going to change my diet much and I can't increase my activity without increasing my chronic pain. I'm not overweight and don't smoke. I'm only 44.

I agree with others here that too much should not be read into a single little-bit-high blood sugar reading.

But your posts do suggest a couple of possible issues.

First, this is just what I read, but apparently stress elevates blood sugar. If you are chronically stressed (e.g. because of chronic pain), you can eventually get Type 2 diabetes because of stress.

So that probably increased your stress, sorry! Even if you can't figure out how to reduce your stress, you can still address the other risk factors to reduce your overall odds.

The second thing that your posts brought to mind is, if your chronic pain has you avoiding physical activity to the point where you have poor muscle strength, you could have too much visceral fat even though you are thin.

If you aren't moving around at all, that is terrible for more reasons than just the risk of Type 2 diabetes.

One other general observation: I don't think carbs are bad per se, what's bad is low-fiber or no-fiber carbs. So I think old-fashioned oats are OK, not as good as steel-cut but not a diabetes invitation like white bread. Which is huge for someone on a tight budget. Oats are such a great deal compared to all other breakfast cereals and a lot of other starches as well.

You didn't say what the cause of your chronic pain was. If it's Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome or long COVID, you might be finding that exercise sends you into a tailspin. You probably should avoid any exercise that sends you into a tailspin. If you can't find any exercise that does NOT send you into a tailspin, then so be it. Pre-diabetes is not such an emergency that it outweighs this issue.

There is evidence that people with long COVID and people with ME/*** (won't let me post ***?) have abnormal microclots in their blood, which can get lodged in capillaries and block blood flow, which (unsurprisingly) leads to problems. Two researchers, Douglas B. Kell and Etheresia Pretorius, along with various co-authors, have written a bunch of intriguing papers on this subject, including this one: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36043493/

Last edited:
You didn't say what the cause of your chronic pain was. If it's Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome or long COVID, you might be finding that exercise sends you into a tailspin. You probably should avoid any exercise that sends you into a tailspin. If you can't find any exercise that does NOT send you into a tailspin, then so be it. Pre-diabetes is not such an emergency that it outweighs this issue.

The pain is from 3 hip surgeries that I had over a 13 month period that never healed well. The last surgery was a total hip replacement over 5 years ago and the pain hasn't improved in over 3 years. It gets worse with more activity and has a cumulative effect leading to needing an assistive device to walk if I don't stop or reduce the activity soon enough. I also have arthritis in my back that causes pain every day. It impacts my sleep every day and limits what activities I can do even with OTC pain meds. Again the more I do the worse the pain gets.

The pain is from 3 hip surgeries that I had over a 13 month period that never healed well. The last surgery was a total hip replacement over 5 years ago and the pain hasn't improved in over 3 years. It gets worse with more activity and has a cumulative effect leading to needing an assistive device to walk if I don't stop or reduce the activity soon enough. I also have arthritis in my back that causes pain every day. It impacts my sleep every day and limits what activities I can do even with OTC pain meds. Again the more I do the worse the pain gets.

Ouch...sounds like the hip surgery may have been botched? Everyone I know who has had a hip replacement has felt great afterwards, starting pretty soon after the surgery (I don't remember exactly how long, just that it was quick).

Ouch...sounds like the hip surgery may have been botched? Everyone I know who has had a hip replacement has felt great afterwards, starting pretty soon after the surgery (I don't remember exactly how long, just that it was quick).

The surgeon says everything is structurally sound. I think they just sent me back to work too soon and doing too much too soon. I was getting better while on sedentary duty then they said I could be on my feet for 8 hours a day so that's what they had me do and it didn't take long before I had to use a cane while at work and it kept getting worse from overuse. It was a Work Comp case and I think they were pressuring my Doctor to give me limited restrictions and then my managers at work would have me do the max allowed all the time making matters worse. I wish I would have just quit after they sent me back to work 6 weeks after my hip replacement. I needed time to heal then rehab but they just sent me back to work full time instead. The greed of the WC company and my employer has resulted in life-long pain for me. I don't know how they sleep at night.

I'm late to this thread. A short while back I started a thread because my A1C was in the pre diabetic range, looing for white bread alternatives. I saw a couple of dieticians, and to date the biggest change I did, AND WAS AN EASY TRANSITION, was switch over to whole wheat bread products. I also put hummus on my whole wheat English Muffin instead of margarine or butter.
Next blood test in 2 weeks. I did other changes as well, but to the OP consider just switching to whole wheat bread products as a starting point.

I'm late to this thread. A short while back I started a thread because my A1C was in the pre diabetic range, looing for white bread alternatives. I saw a couple of dieticians, and to date the biggest change I did, AND WAS AN EASY TRANSITION, was switch over to whole wheat bread products. I also put hummus on my whole wheat English Muffin instead of margarine or butter.
Next blood test in 2 weeks. I did other changes as well, but to the OP consider just switching to whole wheat bread products as a starting point.

I never eat white bread. The bread I eat with my peanut butter is wheat bread. I do eat oatmeal and pasta often though.

I’ve had a fasting glucose of 100-105 for probably 10 years and the A1C around 5.6 or 5.7. We retired, moved and lost a considerable amount of weight and have eaten a lot better. Still the same numbers. My current doc said I could be at this stage for the rest of my life. Don’t eat white bread, do eat a little pasta, and not much rice. No sugary drinks and just a small amount of sweets on occasion.

The surgeon says everything is structurally sound.

First, the surgeon who did the surgery isn't necessarily eager to admit error, and may even be honestly blind to his/her own errors. Second, "everything is structurally sound" could be weasel wording to avoid discussing a non-"structural" thing that might have gone wrong.

Getting exercise to build muscle does not necessarily involve being on your feet. Many gyms have machines that allow you to isolate muscle groups for building strength.

I must mention swimming for both cardiovascular and muscle-building exercise. I cannot recommend this exercise highly enough. It engages your core and upper body and as much lower body as you choose, depending on your mental focus as you do your laps. And it builds your cardiovascular system. I have been swimming regularly since July. And engaged in swimming off and on since I was 20. It is an amazing form of exercise.

A most muscular fellow swimmer had one leg that is nonfunctional; it has serious atrophy and he uses crutches to get to the pool. He tethers his non-working leg to the other leg and outswims the rest of us with just his core and arms. He is very muscular except for that leg.

I use fins to build my legs through increased resistance. Using the legs to kick in swimming does not require major range of motion to build muscle.

Getting exercise to build muscle does not necessarily involve being on your feet. Many gyms have machines that allow you to isolate muscle groups for building strength.

I must mention swimming for both cardiovascular and muscle-building exercise. I cannot recommend this exercise highly enough. It engages your core and upper body and as much lower body as you choose, depending on your mental focus as you do your laps. And it builds your cardiovascular system. I have been swimming regularly since July. And engaged in swimming off and on since I was 20. It is an amazing form of exercise.

A most muscular fellow swimmer had one leg that is nonfunctional; it has serious atrophy and he uses crutches to get to the pool. He tethers his non-working leg to the other leg and outswims the rest of us with just his core and arms. He is very muscular except for that leg.

I use fins to build my legs through increased resistance. Using the legs to kick in swimming does not require major range of motion to build muscle.

+1 Well said

That 275g is based on a 2000 calorie diet. Being as big as I am 6'6" 175 I can't reasonably eat less than 2000 calories for long before becoming emaciated. I burn that much doing minimal activity. I could drop from 200g carbs per day down to 100 but that would require eating more protein to get enough calories to function which is more expensive. Also many protein sources could increase my cholesterol and cause other issues so that is not necessarily a great solution either.

Do you like beans and/or lentils? Seems like they would be a good balance of calories, fiber, carbs, protein, and cost. I love them and could eat my weight in them every day but I have to manage my intake because of the calories.

Do you like beans and/or lentils? Seems like they would be a good balance of calories, fiber, carbs, protein, and cost. I love them and could eat my weight in them every day but I have to manage my intake because of the calories.

I am not a fan. I could eat beans in a pinch but would prefer not to.

A fat, butter or margarine, is likely better for you than adding a carb to another carb, hummus on a muffin.

Been Type 2 diabetic, for over 15 years. So I know quite a bit. Will skip the
details.

104. You are barely Pre-diabetic. You can keep your current diet.

If your numbers get higher in the Pre-diabetiic range. Just cut down on carbs. Eat more
complex vegtables and some protein.

AGAIN. YOU ARE NOT Diabetic. Only a small percentage of pre-diabetics become Diabetic !

You don't need a drastic change in diet if you are "prediabetic"

If you become Diabetic. MD's initially recommend Metformin. Exercise
and diet change.

Again. You are not even close to being a Diabetic !!

Do not over worry and stress out....:):):)

Last edited:

Yeah, mine had hovered about 100 (maybe up to 105) for a couple of years. I lost 40 pounds. My last test was 78. So, am I still pre-diabetic just because I once crossed the threshold of 100??

I did fast. I eat at least 3 peanut butter sandwiches every day so there are some carbs there. By sandwich I mean one piece of bread folded in half. I also have oatmeal for breakfast every day so that's more carbs. That doesn't seem like an excessive amount though. I don't eat a lot of food in general. I am 6'5"+ and weigh 175 pounds.

If I were you, I would replace the oatmeal breakfast with a higher-protein breakfast, that has fewer carbs. For example, scrambled eggs and some kind of meat/veggies leftover from the previous day's dinner. I'd probably also cut down on the bread consumption. Instead of sandwiches for lunch, consider things like cottage cheese, piece of summer sausage, slice of cheese, avocado, handful of nuts. You want to replace the simple carbs with more protein and healthy fats. I would not be too alarmed with a fasting glucose of 104, but it's still probably time to change your diet a little, to bring that back down.

Back
Top Bottom