Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between 2015 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the value of the $802 liquidation value long term will rest on the ability of the company to pay long term, as you stated this is an unusual feature that you can keep a 5.85% payout going with only a 20% reduction risk in principal, just want to insure that the company is not going to have any skeletons in their financial closet.

More quality preferreds getting called - Northern Trust and State Street announced new preferred issues, with proceeds going to redeem current preferreds.

NTRSP and STT-E definitely on the list, with STT-C a high likelihood.

I own all 3.

Been expecting this, but still a big disappointment. :(

Yes, the value of the $802 liquidation value long term will rest on the ability of the company to pay long term, as you stated this is an unusual feature that you can keep a 5.85% payout going with only a 20% reduction risk in principal, just want to insure that the company is not going to have any skeletons in their financial closet.

Liquidation value is $1000...Owner redemption value is $802...Different terms, I wouldnt worry about a liquidation occurring, ha.

LYB just emerged from Chapter 11 nine years ago, and actually have kept their bankruptcy advisors on to help manage the business. The company has been using most of free cash flow to reduce share count while sales and profits are forecast to decline 15-20% in the coming year, contributing to the fact that LYB has a 7.6 PE.

EBITDA has been on a consistent slide from 2015 dropping from 8 billion to 5.9 billion (during that time they have purchased 11 Billion of shares back while stock has fallen 20%) as of right now of annual EBITDA (From Lyondell Investor DAY of Sept 24, 2019)

Based on current trends I would expect EBITDA to fall to below 4 Billion in the next 5 years, still enough to pay dividends but probably will save them from buying their own stock into a company sales decline.

Overall at present they are financially strong enough for the outlook for the next five years (need 5 years to offset the danger of falling to $800) to show no dangers on the Preferred dividend side. On the long run the macro forces are against the polyethylene and polypropylene business.

VALUE LINE Safety rating is average at a "3" which is consistent since they earned a safety rating 3 years after their Chapter 11. If Safety on Value line were to fall to a "4", I would recommend selling the preferreds immediately, Value Line will note a decline in financial conditions long before S&P or Moody's.

Note: After reviewing this today I will be buying some Schullman preferred shares over the next couple weeks.

Liquidation value is $1000...Owner redemption value is $802...Different terms, I wouldnt worry about a liquidation occurring, ha.
If they ever liquidated preferred holders would get zero most likely, I agree there is no imminent liquidation, so $802 at preferred holders option as the basement for the price as long as the company is financially stable, is a great base, assuming we can get at least 5 years out of the preferred.

If they ever liquidated preferred holders would get zero most likely, I agree there is no imminent liquidation, so $802 at preferred holders option as the basement for the price as long as the company is financially stable, is a great base, assuming we can get at least 5 years out of the preferred.

RM, you can get forever out of it, if you choose and company stays solvent, because its not redeemable by company anymore. Moodys has senior unsecured BBB+, so this effectively slots the unrated preferred at BBB-. They are on negative credit watch for their borrowed share buy back. Management often states they will do nothing to impair their IG status. The preferred dividend payment of about $7 million is totally inconsequential. Not even a blip of earnings. So if one assumes company viability, payment is not a stress on company. As we know though its a cyclical business and its sector of business.

RM, you can get forever out of it, if you choose and company stays solvent, because its not redeemable by company anymore. Moodys has senior unsecured BBB+, so this effectively slots the unrated preferred at BBB-. They are on negative credit watch for their borrowed share buy back. Management often states they will do nothing to impair their IG status. The preferred dividend payment of about $7 million is totally inconsequential. Not even a blip of earnings. So if one assumes company viability, payment is not a stress on company. As we know though its a cyclical business and its sector of business.

Right, the bolded is the part I REALLY like, it is the staying solvent part, I want to watch out for. Frankly I am unconcerned with whatever rating Moody's puts on a security, other than as a very general basis of comparison because Moody's is too lazy in their analytics and too timid to move rapidly,

Just one problem with this thinking and it might not apply to this anyhow...

But if a company is going to default on any security it will likely default on all securities... there is no way that they will be able to pay this pref share and not pay others that or due or bonds...

But if a company is going to default on any security it will likely default on all securities... there is no way that they will be able to pay this pref share and not pay others that or due or bonds...

True which is why I say watch Value Line and sell if Safety is dropped to "4" it will be based on solid accounting fundamentals and occur BEFORE the rating agencies. Until then you have a LYB SPIA paying 5.85% with a surrender value of 80% and an semi-active market for your policy. They may be a little riskier than New York Life but you just have to keep your eye on them.

Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between

Right, the bolded is the part I REALLY like, it is the staying solvent part, I want to watch out for. Frankly I am unconcerned with whatever rating Moody's puts on a security, other than as a very general basis of comparison because Moody's is too lazy in their analytics and too timid to move rapidly,

Actually, I dont base so much on the rating as much as I do the written analytical reports. The coverage ratios the future expenses etc. These are generally quite accurate as they are working with the company to know future plans etc. I have found that these to be very spot on...The trends the EBITA, the stock buybacks etc. Company goes to credit ratings to evaluate the effects these things have. If you read the running reports you see the trend occurring over periods of time with or without the actual rating itself.

Last edited:
Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between

I agree, Texas because unlike most companies with preferreds, this is just a tiniest sliver of capital for this company. And quite frankly its not even wanted by them. It just got acquired with the company and there is nothing they could do. Maybe get a tender down the road....
LYB has a market cap of $30 billion dollars. EBITA presently over $5 billion. Dividend payments of common are ~ 1.4 billion...This preferred is ~7 million annually. Total office chump change compared to everything else in capital structure.

It just got acquired with the company and there is nothing they could do. Maybe get a tender down the road.....

Interesting.... so what would you accept as a reasonable tender? While it's a basic nothing overall to the profitability, it's got to be relatively costly to continue to float this, and just a nuisance. Just wonder what it would be worth to LYB to just make this go away instead of needing to deal with it into perpetuity. :)

Interesting.... so what would you accept as a reasonable tender? While it's a basic nothing overall to the profitability, it's got to be relatively costly to continue to float this, and just a nuisance. Just wonder what it would be worth to LYB to just make this go away instead of needing to deal with it into perpetuity. :)

Good question Bob and probably without an answer. They may not give a damn either since it is so small. When A Schulman got acquired a little over a year ago, this created a “change of control” provision in SLMNP. So for a 30 day window afterwards owners got a premium added to conversion factor which put the redemption at almost $1003. Only about 9000 shares of the 125,000 shares accepted the terms. SLMNP was largely an $800-900 preferred until LYB acquired then it shot up. Mostly because credit quality backing it was considerably higher than A Schulman credit rating was.
Tenders are odd. No matter what you offered some people just wont bother. There are a lot of tiny amounts left of several uncallable preferreds that just wouldnt tender.
A few years ago an old $3 par 8% noncallable had a tender for over $10. 30% of the float didnt tender for whatever reason...Dumb, it trades at $6 now with a 4% perpetual yield.

Actually, I dont base so much on the rating as much as I do the written analytical reports. The coverage ratios the future expenses etc. These are generally quite accurate as they are working with the company to know future plans etc. I have found that these to be very spot on...The trends the EBITA, the stock buybacks etc. Company goes to credit ratings to evaluate the effects these things have. If you read the running reports you see the trend occurring over periods of time with or without the actual rating itself.

I LOVE YOUR WORK MULLY and really value your opinon, top of anyone on the boards but I have to disagree, I have never known the credit reports to alert to anything ahead of time, whether in 2007, the 2014-2015 oil price collapse - in the middle of that oil companies were selling billions of debt while their business was collapsing. I think the ratings work at 10,000 feet or at a company with an ongoing plan.

FITCH downgraded WeWork to CCC two notches AFTER the fiasco of softbank occurred ----- in 2018 they rated them B3 with stable outlook. This despite the fact that WeWork could never operate without additional lending, giving someone a Saleable credit rating because they should be able to get billions in financing that depends on the credit rating is a ridiculous situation.

S&P gave WeWork a solid B stating "S&P Global Ratings assigned a B corporate credit rating to New York-based WeWork Cos., with a stable outlook.S&P's expectation that WeWork will maintain substantial cash balances while effectively managing its growth." WeWork failed because investor's actually read their financial statements and questioned the jungle of intercompany bull and self dealing. S&P actually offered to create a We50 social responsible stock index (how totally fitting) in exchange for working on their initial offerings.

Moody's first cut Bank of America's rating in April of 2008 to an AA2 - in the category of very best credit risk, at a price of 38 Value Line on November 10 2007 with BOA stock at price of 48 put Bank of America's safety rating in the bottom 25% of all corporations. In late March 2009 Moody's cut Bank of America's rating again to A1 with the stock at 7.

General Electric was cut two notches by Moody's on October 31st 2018 after completing a 80% drop in stock price from it's intermediate high. Value Line had cut the rating 18 months earlier, and was a key in my indicating SELL on the GE thread.

Moody's put Lehman Brothers' investment-grade A2 rating "on review" a mere five days before it filed for bankruptcy.

Moody's and Fitch didn't remove the MF Global's investment-grade rating until a measly six days before it filed for bankruptcy protection. And Standard & Poor's waited until the day of MF Global's filing to downgrade the then-defunct broker.

Enron was rated investment grade 4 days before filling for bancruptcy.

And both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had highly coveted AAA ratings at the time they were forced into conservatorship.

Bear Stearns had a credit rating of AA two days before filing for bancruptcy.

All of these companies had major downgrades MONTHS before by Value Line in there Safety and Financial Strength ratings.

It is nice to know in a stable situation where the credit ratings view the company because it should be an aid in pricing. But 50% of the investment grade companies today have no business being investment grade, I have zero faith in the rating's agencies at all.

By the time companies have been downgraded, the accountants have used up all their tricks and so the reality is visible to all, one must get out well before then because usually there is only days after the situation becomes officially known, the assumption is always the accountants have more tricks up their sleeve. Perfect example would be GE.

But perhaps the reports are more valuable and actually have the information I would need to view these companies as junk, despite investment grade ratings. I will stay open to that thought.

Last edited:
I LOVE YOUR WORK MULLY and really value your opinon, top of anyone on the boards but I have to disagree, I have never known the credit reports to alert to anything ahead of time, whether in 2007, the 2014-2015 oil price collapse - in the middle of that oil companies were selling billions of debt while their business was collapsing. I think the ratings work at 10,000 feet or at a company with an ongoing plan.

FITCH downgraded WeWork to CCC two notches AFTER the fiasco of softbank occurred ----- in 2018 they rated them B3 with stable outlook. This despite the fact that WeWork could never operate without additional lending, giving someone a Saleable credit rating because they should be able to get billions in financing that depends on the credit rating is a ridiculous situation.

S&P gave WeWork a solid B stating "S&P Global Ratings assigned a B corporate credit rating to New York-based WeWork Cos., with a stable outlook.S&P's expectation that WeWork will maintain substantial cash balances while effectively managing its growth." WeWork failed because investor's actually read their financial statements and questioned the jungle of intercompany bull and self dealing. S&P actually offered to create a We50 social responsible stock index (how totally fitting) in exchange for working on their initial offerings.

Moody's first cut Bank of America's rating in April of 2008 to an AA2 - in the category of very best credit risk, at a price of 38 Value Line on November 10 2007 with BOA stock at price of 48 put Bank of America's safety rating in the bottom 25% of all corporations. In late March 2009 Moody's cut Bank of America's rating again to A1 with the stock at 7.

General Electric was cut two notches by Moody's on October 31st 2018 after completing a 80% drop in stock price from it's intermediate high. Value Line had cut the rating 18 months earlier, and was a key in my indicating SELL on the GE thread.

Moody's put Lehman Brothers' investment-grade A2 rating "on review" a mere five days before it filed for bankruptcy.

Moody's and Fitch didn't remove the MF Global's investment-grade rating until a measly six days before it filed for bankruptcy protection. And Standard & Poor's waited until the day of MF Global's filing to downgrade the then-defunct broker.

Enron was rated investment grade 4 days before filling for bancruptcy.

And both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac had highly coveted AAA ratings at the time they were forced into conservatorship.

Bear Stearns had a credit rating of AA two days before filing for bancruptcy.

All of these companies had major downgrades MONTHS before by Value Line in there Safety and Financial Strength ratings.

It is nice to know in a stable situation where the credit ratings view the company because it should be an aid in pricing. But 50% of the investment grade companies today have no business being investment grade, I have zero faith in the rating's agencies at all.

By the time companies have been downgraded, the accountants have used up all their tricks and so the reality is visible to all, one must get out well before then because usually there is only days after the situation becomes officially known, the assumption is always the accountants have more tricks up their sleeve. Perfect example would be GE.

But perhaps the reports are more valuable and actually have the information I would need to view these companies as junk, despite investment grade ratings. I will stay open to that thought.

RM, yes you get no disagreement with me from being suspect of ratings. Im referring to meat and potato credit number analysis and what the company is doing and is going to do. All the numerical and prose summary in their website. For the ones I have used for 6 years they have always been spot on in for what they do. The actual rating assignment is more political and can be suspect.
For my utilities and issues such as NuStar and Altagas preferreds through the years one could get the cash flow analysis and trends and general sentiment from written reports and they have been very good. Even when they are slow with credit downgrades (and they will be quite often as you mention) the written prose reports will show the deterioration.
Banks and financials are very problematic in guessing due to all of the leverage and hedging a bank or financial institution has. That is where largely rating agencies got in trouble. I dont overexpose myself in this area too much.
Financial institutions make up 75% of the preferred universe. I am under 20% in this area. Also, I am not going to get too deep into the actual number crunching and dissecting financials by myself. I could fool no one with my “expertise”. Heck, I cant even fool myself of that. :)

Yeah, nothing really a "deal" with preferred's. Over past 60 days, only two preferred trades, RILYP and ALTGF.

Just unloaded ALTFG today, bought on 9/10 and up about $1.55, also pocketed 33 cent dividend. Floated a GTC order and had bite on hook quickly. Will keep watch for entry point again should it drop back down. Time to find another stock to flip....

Well, thanks to my limit order for SLMNP, it has run up about $4.00 since then. I'm pretty cheap when buying anything, especially over par preferreds. :)

Well, thanks to my limit order for SLMNP, it has run up about $4.00 since then. I'm pretty cheap when buying anything, especially over par preferreds. :)

Winemaker, you cheapo, it isnt redeemable. And besides I bet you didnt realize but unless you own a real old preferred, every preferred you have bought was purchased WAY over par. As par is generally a penny for most preferreds anymore. :)

By the way, in my career I was a corporate trust officer... even have my signature on some Enron bonds as trustee!!

If they have other issues outstanding then the cost of them having this small issue is nothing.. it might be a half days work for someone to do everything needed...

Now, if it were the only issue it would be someones headache to do, but still not that expensive..

These issues are very automated and not much work...

If anyone holding JPM-A, it's being called. Went Ex-D today (34 cents), but still had some people who got caught with drop from $26 to $25.

Ha, Winemaker, you got some cash on the sidelines building up...You like them under par its time for you to buy some Enbridge and Altagas Canandian reset preferreds. About 7% QDI, US currency, and 30% under par! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom