Prepaid SIM for Europe

Oh, one other thing that I don't think has been mentioned: You can get Project Fi data-only SIM cards for free. Just pay for the data used. DW and I both have cell-data-enabled Nexus 7 tablets with Project Fi SIM cards installed. According to the Project Fi web site, you can request as many as 9 data-only SIM cards (!).

Another thing maybe not mentioned is that our Project Fi phones can also serve as hot spots with access to Project Fi data. This has been handy a couple of times when our home internet was down for some reason. We just fire up a hot spot and our home computers have internet access.

I have a SIM card from Coop mobile which works anywhere. You fund it with a pre-paid card. You need an unlocked GSM phone to use it. I bought it in Switzerland. I have been using it for the past 6 years.
My USA phone also works worldwide with only 10 cents per minute roaming and call charge outside the USA. My plan is only $30 per month with unlimited data and texting and worldwide calling to 64 countries. I also use an Ooma app on my phone to make calls over wifi for free worldwide.

For those with T Mobile plans. Does the WiFi calling ability require the use of a TM phone or will any android phone work?

For those with T Mobile plans. Does the WiFi calling ability require the use of a TM phone or will any android phone work?

Yeah - wifi calling is a capability/feature of a phone and usually found with newer phones, but the carrier also has to support it.

T-mobile uses GSM technology which is also used by AT&T and most of the rest of the world. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA. Many phones today support both, but that would be the key requirement to take your own unlocked phone to T-mobile.

I'm no expert, but as I understand it, just because you have a USA-based GSM phone doesn't necessarily mean you'll have the optimal set of frequencies for using the phone in Europe. You probably will not be left high and dry, but you might have limited coverage or be roped into a subset of available speeds.

I'm no expert, but as I understand it, just because you have a USA-based GSM phone doesn't necessarily mean you'll have the optimal set of frequencies for using the phone in Europe. You probably will not be left high and dry, but you might have limited coverage or be roped into a subset of available speeds.

You're okay with recent iPhones.

But Android phones may or may not support the LTE bands used outside of North America.

You're okay with recent iPhones.

But Android phones may or may not support the LTE bands used outside of North America.

Yeah - iPhone6 and later GSM iPhones have good support for Europe. The later the better.

My old Verizon iPhone 5 did pretty well in Europe with an Orange SIM even though it didn’t have all the LTE bands.

Back
Top Bottom