Prescription Sunglasses

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
While seeing my optometrist I just ordered a pair if prescription sunglasses.

My regular glasses are transitions that automatically change darker in the sun. However, when I told him I am going on a cruise ship in the future, he highly recommended sunglasses. Now I wonder, are prescription sunglasses really that much better than transitions?

In either case, the pair I ordered looks sharp :cool:.

Last edited:
I have transition lenses for those times when I'm only going to be in the sun for a brief period. In particular a problem I have with transitions is that when driving, due to the "shade" of the car roof, the lenses do not really darken that much. I prefer to have a separate pair of prescription sunglasses, with mirror coating.

My last pair of glasses was transition. My current pair is regular - and I have prescription sunglasses.

I love my prescription sunglasses - I have them oversize, with wide ear stems to block light from the side and around the edges. (Think big Jackie-O style sunglasses.) I could never wear frames like this in regular glasses - but it totally works for sunglasses.

I had an issue, at first, with the swapping in/out till I figured out that I usually have one or the other on my face - so I carry the larger sunglass case - and just swap the glasses in and out of that. (I don't like bulky purses).

My husband has taken it a step further... regular glasses, transition glasses, and prescription sunglasses.

My husband has taken it a step further... regular glasses, transition glasses, and prescription sunglasses.

I have the same setup ^^^. The transitions are not good for driving where the shade keeps the lens from changing. I also like the darker sunglasses in full sun.

Thanks for the info. In the past I've only used transitions (don't want to deal with the swapping around). But from the reading, I'm glad that those who have prescriptions like them.

We just use very large regular sunglasses over contacts or eyeglasses. Certainly these are preferable to the "clip-on, flip-up" sunglasses that Old People (and only Old People - it was a law!) wore back in the day.

Mr. A. had transition lenses some time ago, and hated them. They refused to darken in the car, where he really needed them to do so; and they didn't lighten up fast enough when going indoors, so he felt "blind" for the first 30 seconds.

Amethyst

UV rays activate Transitions lenses to darken. Windshields in today's vehicles block most of the UV.

There are some forms of transition glasses available that react to visible light and do work in autos.

Last edited:
UV rays activate Transitions lenses to darken. Windshields in today's vehicles block most of the UV.

There are some forms of transition glasses available that react to visible light and do work in autos.

+1, which is why, I have prescription sunglass for driving, and transition for other uses.:greetings10:

I have prescription sg with (no-line?) bifocals in them. Never got the progressive as was told didn't work in a car, where much of my sg need is. I love these sg because not only do they give me "shaded" long distance, I can actually READ the speedometer!

One interesting observation. New car has "heads up display" that displays in lower part of windshield. However, polarized sg make it invisible...unless you tilt your head slightly. Actually pretty nice once you get used to it. Same thing with the iPad, if read it at pool with sg need to rotate the screen. Polarized light...interesting stuff.

Last spring I switched to Transitions lenses from generic self dimming lenses and they work much, much better. I do also use Jonathan Paul Fitovers for driving, but they do look sorta goofy due to the size and the cost is another issue....I think I have lost about 3 pairs of them so it would probably be cheaper for me to just have prescription sunglasses.

Back
Top Bottom