presidents, war, etc

renferme

Recycles dryer sheets
I guess I have a bad feeling about AR, because that's where the second worst President of the USA is from (the worst was Carter).

Re: surprise early retirement

bennevis said:
I guess I have a bad feeling about AR,  because that's where the second worst President of the USA is from (the worst was Carter).

You talking about the worst ever or just the worst one still living? Maybe the "best" presidents are those that were career politicians and not business men. Who was the last truly great president that was NOT a career politician?

bennevis said:
I guess I have a bad feeling about AR, because that's where the second worst President of the USA is from (the worst was Carter).

Does that mean you do not like Georgia because of Carter? If we dislike a particular state because it happens to the state from which a politician that we dislike for whatever reasons, our choice of residence will be extremely limited. :LOL:

Jimmy Carter "...enacted strong environmental legislation; deregulated the trucking, airline, rail, finance, communications, and oil industries, bolstered the social security system; and appointed record numbers of women and minorities to significant government and judicial posts. In foreign affairs, Carter's accomplishments included the Camp David Accords, the Panama Canal Treaties, the creation of full diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China, and the negotiation of the SALT II Treaty..."

Per Wikipedia

Here we go. Another endless and pointless political discussion about presidents.

At least start this in the Other Topics so I can just mark it as read.

I promise my next post will be about boobs... :p

Hey, there's a good reason that only one nuclear submariner has ever been elected president... or ever will be!

Why did he get fired?

Jimmy Carter "...enacted strong environmental legislation; deregulated the trucking, airline, rail, finance, communications, and oil industries, bolstered the social security system; and appointed record numbers of women and minorities to significant government and judicial posts. In foreign affairs, Carter's accomplishments included the Camp David Accords, the Panama Canal Treaties, the creation of full diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China, and the negotiation of the SALT II Treaty..."

You overlooked the most important thing he did, and it was done on the first day he was in office...

Nords said:
Hey, there's a good reason that only one nuclear submariner has ever been elected president... or ever will be!

Not running, eh Nords? ;)

As an example, we're living just about as well as we were in San Francisco on 25% of our former income! (I'll tell you how if you're interested.)

Great. Did you own a house there and sold for a nice profit?

eriter said:
You overlooked the most important thing he did, and it was done on the first day he was in office...

Well not the most important thing. But it was time for amnesty for the draft evaders.

eriter said:
I thought you were referring to his making the Secret Service & USMC test their presidential emergency evacuation system a moment after they briefed him on it.

It was a miserable failure, heads rolled, they learned never to brief him on anything again until they were ready to execute. Classic shooting the messenger, although in this case the messengers desperately deserved it.

My FIL says that Carter was one of the meanest SOBs the media ever had to work around. LBJ was far & away the worst, but Carter was firmly in second place. Even in the '90s the subsequent "kindly elder statesman" role had its chinks where his real personality peeked out.

Heather said:
Not running, eh Nords? ;)
Spouse & I decided early on to live our lives as though we'd never be running for political office. That turned out to be a wise choice...

I don't know if Jimmy was the worst president ever, but I can say with absolute certainty that he was president during the most miserable financial and professional periods of my life. And he was clearly responsible for a significant portion of it.

His policies toward the reduction in the size of the military had a direct impact on my decision to give up my plans for a military career after 8 years, resign my commission and look elsewhere for employment.

He presided over runaway inflation (can any of you under the age of 40 envision mortgage rates of 15% or more, assuming you could actually find anyone with money to lend?), oil shortages, high unemployment, the Iranian Hostage Crisis, and what was aptly termend “a crisis of confidence” by the citizens of the US. It was not a time when most of us felt good about being an American. And for those of you who think think the Bushies have made us miserable today, they are truly bush league in comparison to the Carter years viewed from my personal index of misery.

Speaking of a “Misery Index” (some segway, eh?), Carter ran for office using what he termed a Misery Index, which was the combined rate of inflation and unemployment. When he ran for president in 1976, the Misery Index was 13.5% and “Carter stated that no man responsible for giving a country a misery index that high, had a right to even ask to be President.” When he left office 4 years later, the Misery Index had gone up 50%, and stood at a staggering 22%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misery_Index_(economic)

Note that as a veteran I carefully avoided any mention of the action he took during his first day in office. And no, I’m not talking about a test of the presidential emergency evacuation system.

Didn't mean to start a pissing brouhaha over Carter; just that the original statement seemed a bit one-sided...

Now, bring on the boobs!!  :p

REWahoo! said:
I don't know if Jimmy was the worst president ever, but I can say with absolute certainty that he was president during the most miserable financial and professional periods of my life.  And he was clearly responsible for a significant portion of it.

His policies toward the reduction in the size of the military had a direct impact on my decision to give up my plans for a military career after 8 years, resign my commission and look elsewhere for employment.

He presided over runaway inflation (can any of you under the age of 40 envision mortgage rates of 15% or more, assuming you could actually find anyone with money to lend?), oil shortages, high unemployment, the Iranian Hostage Crisis, and what was aptly termend “a crisis of confidence” by the citizens of the US.  It was not a time when most of us felt good about being an American.  And for those of you who think think the Bushies have made us miserable today, they are truly bush league in comparison to the Carter years viewed from my personal index of misery.

Speaking of a “Misery Index” (some segway, eh?), Carter ran for office using what he termed a Misery Index, which was the combined rate of inflation and unemployment.  When he ran for president in 1976, the Misery Index was 13.5% and “Carter stated that no man responsible for giving a country a misery index that high, had a right to even ask to be President.”  When he left office 4 years later, the Misery Index had gone up 50%, and stood at a staggering 22%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misery_Index_(economic)

Note that as a veteran I carefully avoided any mention of the action he took during his first day in office.  And no, I’m not talking about a test of the presidential emergency evacuation system.

Billy's Beer wasn't very good either. :D

OK, so for those of us to young to remember, what awful thing did Carter do on his first day? Use the wrong bathroom?

brewer12345 said:
OK, so for those of us to young to remember, what awful thing did Carter do on his first day? Use the wrong bathroom?

You must have missed it. :)

Martha said:
Well not the most important thing. But it was time for amnesty for the draft evaders.

Hard to get excited about pardoning draft dodgers, IMO. Frankly, the day I get a draft notice for me or my kids is the day I leave the country.

eah, yeah, I've heard all of the rah-rah warmongering bullshit ad infinitum from the right (mostly). Its still bullshit, war is still categorically wrong, and I am still a confirmed pacifist. Don't bother arguing the point with me because this is one of the few things I absolutely will not budge on.

brewer12345 said:
... war is still categorically wrong, and I am still a confirmed pacifist.  Don't bother arguing the point with me because this is one of the few things I absolutely will not budge on.

I won't drag this out, I promise. But if a country declared war on us and was positioning their army to attack us, you wouldn't want us to fight back?

As Mill’s quote implies, it must be easy to remain a pacifist while some other father’s son keeps you free. Well, I’m that father. When I think of the 3,000 people who died in New York, I am proud to be that father

Back
Top Bottom