Principles of Constipation

Kroeran

Full time employment: Posting here.
The hypothesis is that most people benefit from an unirritated colon full of enough volume, from fibre and liquid, to stimulate movement.

1) dial back common irritants such as gluten, dairy and the worst FODMAPS such as garlic and onions, alcohol.

2) encourage liquid in the colon by dialing up foods that contain liquid, drinking, putting miralax in your coffee until you are healthy enough to taper.

3) move flexibly toward a unprocessed foods vegan diet as easy way to dial up fibre. The idea is to be eating A LOT of natural foods that are not calorie dense. Start measuring your daily fibre intake. Keep upping it until you achieve results. Try to get to 50 grams.

4) drink light roast coffee in morning which has more caffeine, and more is better. Bulletproof it with butter rather than cream or milk to dodge milk proteins and lactose.

5) once you start getting results, start drilling in on how to get protein ie eggs, chickpeas, quinoa, nut/seed butters and carefully with small portions of lean chicken and fish to see if you can not backslide on fibre and results

DH got total relief from frequent constipation once he significantly increased the fat in his diet. He eats no grains anymore, and when he was having difficulty, increasing fiber, even soluble fiber did not help.

So the oily stuff seems to help things move through easily and not get backed up for him.

^^ I've also found that too much fiber and not enough fat binds me up. A rich, fat laden pizza or some hot dogs or fried chicken gets things moving better than fiber supplements or even lactulose or dulcolax.

Another thing I've discovered recently is that taking 1000 mg of vitamin C and a big glass of water before my morning coffee tends to stimulate action. I'm working with this as a method to help minimize my meat consumption.

Also, skipping dinner can get things moving the next morning. I do this once a week.

Last edited:
Not usually a problem for me, as long as I drink my full amount of liquids (I have a large water tumbler and make sure I get 2-3 full ones down each day), have fresh fruit and veggies everyday, plus coffee and cream every morning!

I agree that fiber always had the opposite if intended effect on me. Water and oil/fat/colace are the trick
DH got total relief from frequent constipation once he significantly increased the fat in his diet. He eats no grains anymore, and when he was having difficulty, increasing fiber, even soluble fiber did not help.

So the oily stuff seems to help things move through easily and not get backed up for him.

Psyllium husk fiber capsules - 6 or 8 per day seem to work fine for me. Feel better than in years once taking these starting about first of year. Kirkland brand at Costco seems the sweet-spot cost wise. YMMV

I take magnesium to stop leg cramps. It also has the benefit of moving things along.

We were at the gastroenterologist last week (for the wife) and he told us forget about the probiotics. If she is having problems, go for the Miralax instead.

I take magnesium glycinate for leg cramps and sleep. This formula does not have a laxative effect. I don’t need that kind of help.

Drink warm water ( a 12 oz cup microwaved 1 min ) on an empty stomach in the morning when one wakes up helps.

That's quite the title. It reminded me of Newton's Principia, only with poop.

That's quite the title. It reminded me of Newton's Principia, only with poop.
There's a classic IBM Mainframe assembly reference "Principles of Operation " many times called the POO book.

I've found that what makes a difference fiber-wise for me is consistency. If I get a significantly increased or decreased amount, well, that's when problems arise.

On the other hand I absolutely cannot take Calcium supplements, cause me to be terribly constipated.
OTOH, if you have the opposite of constipation, Calcium Carbonate can be very helpful "for some", just be sure the Calcium Carbonate supplement you buy doesn't also contain Magnesium, which many do. Heard this from a friend!

I tried all kinds of diet approaches to no avail. Then I found out I have Parkinson’s which slows down the peristalsis. A bit of Miralax every night and coffee in the morning delivers the goods - for now. I need magnesium for leg cramps but I can’t take the citrate because it totally blasts out the colon. I use magnesium glycinate instead. TMI?

This is consistent with my experience and credible sources.

I use highest quality certified Olive oil liberally, butter, and mix olive oil and butter for spreading on bread (naturally low gluten sourdough spelt)

My intuition is to dial back solid fats that may be more clogging than lubricative. ie red meats, chicken skins, even avocado

^^ I've also found that too much fiber and not enough fat binds me up. A rich, fat laden pizza or some hot dogs or fried chicken gets things moving better than fiber supplements or even lactulose or dulcolax.

Another thing I've discovered recently is that taking 1000 mg of vitamin C and a big glass of water before my morning coffee tends to stimulate action. I'm working with this as a method to help minimize my meat consumption.

Also, skipping dinner can get things moving the next morning. I do this once a week.

Yeah, Dr Berg on YouTube suggests Vit C as a natural laxative

I agree that fiber always had the opposite if intended effect on me. Water and oil/fat/colace are the trick

I suspect there are several metrics that need to be within a range to operate effectively, and each low velocity colon has its own story and path to correction ; - )

Psyllium husk fiber capsules - 6 or 8 per day seem to work fine for me. Feel better than in years once taking these starting about first of year. Kirkland brand at Costco seems the sweet-spot cost wise. YMMV

Read somewhere that whole husk is more effective than ground husk in capsules.

I put a pinch of this in most meals.

Never supplement with Psyllium without adequate fluid.

I eat mostly plants and lentils/beans and I poo like a racehorse.

I tried vegan (but allow eggs and butter) out of desperation and am amazed with the results.

Life changing.

While trying to learn about vegan cooking, I was watching a YouTube that referenced a vegan conference pre Covid.

The host referred to signage as participants pulled up to the hotel.

One sign read “honk if you pooped twice today!”

This confirmed I was going in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom