Principles of Constipation

well if we are on the subject... many years ago I asked a friend of mine how she had so much energy and just seemed happy about life in general...she is 97yrs and acts like she is 50.... so she said you try to eat right but its better to make sure what you eat gets out of your system so your not over working your organs... so she said she substitutes salt with a product called Metabolic Vitamin C Powder (reduced acidity) she had a salt shaker filled with it and used it just like salt... if you keep your body high in vitamin C you will be regular and you won't get as sick as often... like I havn't had a cold in years... if you do eat something and its not moving like you would like you just take two table spoons in some water... not much water.. you just want the powder to disolve and then take that and swallow it.... it takes about and hour and you better be close to the house cause your about to flush your system... anyway... thats how she says she has lived for almost 100yrs...

This stuff? https://www.amazon.com/Metabolic-Maintenance-Vitamin-Reduced-Servings/dp/B000NBWNJW

yep... thats it... works amazing... if you plan to substitute salt with it you need to know you can't cook with it... only sprinkle it on the food to eat or in cool water if you drink it...

when you first get it take it a little slow... the idea is your putting quite a bit of Vitamin C into your body... so if you overload your body with C then your body will eject it.. thats how it flushes you out if you need to take the 2 tablespoon route.... but if your just sprinkling your food with it you will need to adjust the amounts so its not overloading and you wont end up just flushing some down when thats a little wasteful and you probably don't want to flush your body every day... I have not tried to use it as a weight reduction method but if you think you can handle the body flushing I'm sure you can loose weight pretty easy and pretty fast...

I have had this problem all my life and increasing fiber actually makes it much worse. I have been on a keto diet for 18 months now and that helped a lot. I added 1 tsp of Epsom salts a day which has fixed it completely. I do a clean-out every 2 weeks or so using 1 oral Malva capsule. Malva verticellata is a natural cure.

In my case, I have had several episodes of massive congestion which was exacerbated with high fiber and low-fat diets. On x-ray, it showed my intestines backed up for quite a distance. I was having regular daily stools but apparently not enough and it slowly built up. That was not fun. I went on Miralax (PEG) for several years and it helped but the problem never went away until I switched to a high-fat low-carb diet. I have always drunk at least 2 liters of water a day so that has never been the problem. The problem increased with age and became serious around age 50. Now I am happy using the Epsom salts. They taste nasty but it works.

Psyllium husk fiber capsules - 6 or 8 per day seem to work fine for me. Feel better than in years once taking these starting about first of year. Kirkland brand at Costco seems the sweet-spot cost wise. YMMV

Yup - I use those too. Also helps some with LDL cholesterol levels...

Lets do the twist....

At the risk of TMI, a counter clockwise 145 degree rotation of the torso on the throne, works wonders

If you live south of the equator, be sure to rotate clockwise instead of counter clockwise.

Gut immotility due to vagus nerve damage from Covid is common unfortunately. Psyllium fiber is bloating. Magnesium citrate capsules don't do the job. Equate magnesium citrate solution from Walmart, which used to be part of the colonoscopy prep, can be helpful.

Stanford has an entire subspecialty in neurology for gut immotility, so it must be a common problem.

flaxative effect

I've long believed there are three legs of a three legged stool (sorry, couldn't resist) of good BMs:

1. Adequate fiber - whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.

2. Adequate fluid - mainly water.

3. Exercise.

As a runner with a high fiber diet who drinks plenty of water, I never experience constipation. To help lower my blood pressure, I recently slowly worked up to two tablespoons of ground flax seed a day and most days I poop twice. And this from a guy who went maybe once a week as a kid who ate bologna on white bread.

Prune juice is the most fun you can have for a few dollars - and you don't even have to leave the house!

After months of constipation and seemingly unrelated tachycardia (rapid heart beat), and growing alarm, the cause of which alluded many doctors, I finally figured out the problem

You see, I make coffee by the cup using a metal camping filter. Over the years, I drifted into stronger and stronger coffee, and blond roast which has the most caffeine.

It suddenly occurred to me to question the amount of caffeine I was ingesting and what is a safe amount.

600mg of caffeine is a problem and 1000mg is a likely tachycardia trigger.

As there is about 100mg per level tbs and I was dosing 14 of them each morning, I was getting 1400mg!

That much caffeine will not only cause tachycardia but will as well cause colonic spasms.

Everything cleared up when I cut way back on the caffeine

Wow - so glad you figured that out!

DH is very sensitive to caffeine. It causes a pre-beat. He really has to avoid it. Decaf coffee and tea are fine, but regular he’ll experience erratic beats about a week after regular consumption.

BTW - for constipation issues resulting from a low carb diet, it’s usually a symptom of not eating enough salt. When you switch to low carb the body releases a lot of sodium.

After months of constipation and seemingly unrelated tachycardia (rapid heart beat), and growing alarm, the cause of which alluded many doctors, I finally figured out the problem

You see, I make coffee by the cup using a metal camping filter. Over the years, I drifted into stronger and stronger coffee, and blond roast which has the most caffeine.

It suddenly occurred to me to question the amount of caffeine I was ingesting and what is a safe amount.

600mg of caffeine is a problem and 1000mg is a likely tachycardia trigger.

As there is about 100mg per level tbs and I was dosing 14 of them each morning, I was getting 1400mg!

That much caffeine will not only cause tachycardia but will as well cause colonic spasms.

Everything cleared up when I cut way back on the caffeine

Glad you figured it out. I'm surprised your doc didn't work out the numbers with you. S/he probably just asked "how much coffee do you drink?" Since the caffeine dose is dependent on so many things, s/he may never have suspected without running the numbers. Good work!

I switched to decaf a few years back. It has a little caffeine but nowhere near regular coffee.

As I age, caffeine and alcohol are treats and not daily rights.

whoa--that's a lot of caffeine !
I switched to decaf or 1/2 decaf a while ago, only drink a couple big cups a day, but it was starting to effect my sleep

years ago heavy caffeine use sent my brother to the ER.

solution was, of course, stop consuming so much caffeine.

I limit myself to a couple of cups of regular brew daily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom