Problem getting AARP/UHC Medigap G policy

JohnML

Dryer sheet aficionado
I posted over on bogleheads about an issue I am having getting an AARP/UHC Medigap G policy issued. I am required to use Via Benefits to purchase the policy and somehow they have screwed it up. From the Via Benefits website I can see the policy has been "submitted to the carrier". But in a 3-way call with AARP, Via Benefits and me, AARP states they do not have an application! Has anyone ever experienced something like this? As of today I am no longer on my old employer's plan and I do not have a Medigap G plan. I hope this will get resolved, but I am starting to panic.

Bogleheads post:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398908

Posting here because I am not getting much response on BH. Hoping someone will have wise advice... Even if just to say chill out

Just to understand how much time you have to resolve this, what day did you turn age 65?

I had to use Via benefits for medigap or advantage to get HRA as well. Mine went smoothly. Sorry to hear about your problems. At least you have medicare right? Keep documentation of all your calls. Most are recorded anyhow. Hope you get it sorted soon.

I can't offer advice other than to say try not to panic.

I think they will resolve this by backdating the coverage.

I can't offer advice other than to say try not to panic.

I think they will resolve this by backdating the coverage.

Thanks for this. I decided tonight that I am not going to have any major health problems until they get this straightened out. And they are working on getting the application backdated. Its all gonna be good. As a born and bred pessimist it is hard for me to say that!

I had to use Via benefits for medigap or advantage to get HRA as well. Mine went smoothly. Sorry to hear about your problems. At least you have medicare right? Keep documentation of all your calls. Most are recorded anyhow. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Yes, I have a former work colleague who used them to get the AARP/UHC Plan N and also had no issues. And I do have Parts A, B and D. I've decided everything is going to work out eventually. Thanks for the encouraging words.

It is very stressful to think of having nothing but you do have Medicare and for the insurers this is routine work - they probably do it 100 times a day already.

It is very stressful to think of having nothing but you do have Medicare and for the insurers this is routine work - they probably do it 100 times a day already.

RIGHT! Actually what came to mind is the guy who euthanizes the dogs at the pound. It sucks to be the dog!

March 8th. But my company coverage ended on March 1st.

The good news is you have Medicare coverage, and the other good news is you have plenty of time for that application to find its way and get back on track so you can get supplemental coverage as well. I’d still call and pester them every day or two until this gets sorted out.

The good news is you have Medicare coverage, and the other good news is you have plenty of time for that application to find its way and get back on track so you can get supplemental coverage as well. I’d still call and pester them every day or two until this gets sorted out.

More good news is UHC called yesterday to tell me I have coverage. I wouldn't call everything sorted out yet because there are still some odd things going on. But I was able to log on to UHC and see the supplemental plan. I'm going to wait a bit and see if any of the new issues magically correct themselves.

It has been "fascinating" to watch this process roll out.

I had to go through Alight (I assume similar to Via) to get retiree HRA benefits and they had the odd situation of requiring a phone enrollment to get AARP/UHC Medigap where all the rest were available to review and enroll online. I got two different AARP/UHC quotes from two different phone agents during my initial enrollment, and couldn't get a straight answer as to why, so I ended up going with Aetna.

More good news is UHC called yesterday to tell me I have coverage. I wouldn't call everything sorted out yet because there are still some odd things going on. But I was able to log on to UHC and see the supplemental plan. I'm going to wait a bit and see if any of the new issues magically correct themselves.

It has been "fascinating" to watch this process roll out.
Great news indeed..

Back
Top Bottom