Product shortages in your area ?

Poker chips, believe it or not. At my league last night the rotating host mentioned he wanted to buy a set. I told him I did the research before Covid and would give him some tips. I looked this morning and there are supply problems everywhere, on all but the most generic chips. And they say they don't expect them to be solved by Christmas.

We've been waiting for a part for our bathroom renovation for a year (matching sidesplash for our vanity backsplash) and they have been blaming that on the container shortage for months. I think they stopped giving us delivery date estimates.

And yes, Safeway has random empty shelves scattered through the store.

I may have mentioned that back in May, we ordered, and paid for, new cane seats for our set of 4 1970's Breuer chairs. We were informed there would be a 14-week delay because the seats come from Italy.

Well, 14 weeks was a while ago. Now the seller hopes to get the shipment before the end of 2021. They were a bit curt with me when I asked. Maybe a shortage in tempers is developing, too.

I am waiting on a new sofa from CB2. I ordered it early in January, and it had a 20-24 week timeframe. Since July, every 2 weeks I get another 2 week bump. I just want an actual date...

Similarly, I cancelled a new bed because they kept saying "ok 2 more months" for an item that was sold as in stock.

Beef prices have definitely gone up, and some stores seem to have weird outages. The other week, there were exactly zero hose spray nozzles in my Home Depot. Orchid baskets too.. because the cedar is probably being prioritized to other things.

I know the auto industry has been hit hard by supply chain issues but it sounds like it's getting worse. A couple of the performance car forums I belong to are really screaming about the delays.... Some guys ordered their trucks 6 to 8 months ago and they are still waiting for delivery... They quit taking new orders for 2021's earlier this summer and now I hear they stopped taking any new orders for 2022's. I'm not sure if that's unique to this specific model or across the product line.

None here. Got some more plywood today at the depot. Expensive, but in stock.

I may have mentioned that back in May, we ordered, and paid for, new cane seats for our set of 4 1970's Breuer chairs. We were informed there would be a 14-week delay because the seats come from Italy.

Well, 14 weeks was a while ago. Now the seller hopes to get the shipment before the end of 2021. They were a bit curt with me when I asked. Maybe a shortage in tempers is developing, too.

This has to be in violation of some law, somewhere places can't keep your money indefinitely and not produce your product. They have some nerve being curt with you after holding your money since May with no firm delivery date.

I am waiting on a new sofa from CB2. I ordered it early in January, and it had a 20-24 week timeframe. Since July, every 2 weeks I get another 2 week bump. I just want an actual date...

Similarly, I cancelled a new bed because they kept saying "ok 2 more months" for an item that was sold as in stock.

Beef prices have definitely gone up, and some stores seem to have weird outages. The other week, there were exactly zero hose spray nozzles in my Home Depot. Orchid baskets too.. because the cedar is probably being prioritized to other things.

Did you pay for the sofa? I'd be pretty annoyed at this point.

Here are some shortages we have experienced:

For several weeks we had a hard time getting decent New Orleans Cajun Italian lunches to take out. Every place we tried was out of either pasta, or marinara, or both! Can you even imagine an Italian restaurant being out of both pasta and marinara? Even worse, how about an Italian restaurant that didn't have any employees that knew how to make both pasta and marinara. We did get our Italian food this week so hopefully the problem is solved.

On July 16th I had pre-ordered a video game console that was supposed to be delivered on October 15th. Nope! October 15th came and went, and it hadn't even been shipped, much less delivered. Same was true for many/most others who had ordered it. I gave up and decided I could enjoy life more, with less stress, if I just spent all that money on something else, so I cancelled it. At this point I don't care if everyone else gets it (which they won't); I'm tired of these stupid teases.

Bike parts.

Local shop told me many sizes/types of tires and some Shimano parts are not currently available. Also the factory overhaul of a mountain bike shock is 4-5 weeks (passed on that).

So far groceries and household consumables are fine in the FL Panhandle, but noticed local car dealer lots aren't as full with inventory as I'm used to.

Lots of delays and shortages. Foam/cushion material for furnishings seems to be a big one. We were told June of 2022 for a new set of patio furniture. We also ordered some umbrella stands in June and they just arrived last week. Seller said there was a shortage of resin.

Our pool company is telling us they can’t get parts, but I think the issue is they’re just overwhelmed with business. We’ve been waiting for one part since July. I finally got frustrated and started googling and it arrived in two days from Amazon at a significant discount to their charges.

We’re waiting on a generator, ordered in June. Pushed out several times and now hearing end of November. Same thing on a fireplace insert.

We've started our Xmas shopping for the kids, mainly because several of the toys I thought they would like were already limited in supply online.

All that said, I haven’t noticed any bare shelves. Some places have limitations on quantities and prices are up a lot, but they seem to be getting stock.

We ordered a new fridge a month ago, delivery was scheduled 2 months out. Will see next month if we get it.

Really GLAD the old fridge is working.
Imagine folks whose fridge actually stops working :eek:

Long lines for gas at Sam’s Club gas stations this past week. Price jumped up to $3.11 this week from $2.89 last week. I have to admit I waited in a long line to fill up a second time even though I still had 1/2 a tank. I don’t see long lines at regular stations but the prices have jumped there also and probably increase traffic at Sam’s and other discounters.

I don't even bother with Sam's gas any more. Lines are just too long and the discount isn't that great anyway.

Long lines for gas at Sam’s Club gas stations this past week. Price jumped up to $3.11 this week from $2.89 last week. I have to admit I waited in a long line to fill up a second time even though I still had 1/2 a tank. I don’t see long lines at regular stations but the prices have jumped there also and probably increase traffic at Sam’s and other discounters.

Wine bottles. I used to buy a dozen of the cheapo bottles for my daughter's sweet wine (yuck!) for $7. There now $27, if you can get them. Thank goodness we reuse 90% of our bottles.

Commercial wineries cannot reuse bottles.

Here are some shortages we have experienced:

For several weeks we had a hard time getting decent New Orleans Cajun Italian lunches to take out. Every place we tried was out of either pasta, or marinara, or both! Can you even imagine an Italian restaurant being out of both pasta and marinara? Even worse, how about an Italian restaurant that didn't have any employees that knew how to make both pasta and marinara. We did get our Italian food this week so hopefully the problem is solved.

On July 16th I had pre-ordered a video game console that was supposed to be delivered on October 15th. Nope! October 15th came and went, and it hadn't even been shipped, much less delivered. Same was true for many/most others who had ordered it. I gave up and decided I could enjoy life more, with less stress, if I just spent all that money on something else, so I cancelled it. At this point I don't care if everyone else gets it (which they won't); I'm tired of these stupid teases.

Welp. Things are returning to normal in the W2R world! Yay!

Reactions: W2R
I'm seeing various shortages of grocery products that I buy. Good news is that within a week or so the missing product becomes available. Not so good news is I'm noticing a definite reduction of items being on sale.
And, a bit off topic, but TastyKake has discontinued my favorite cupcake.
I posted this picture last year; I was thrilled then, miserable now :(

Attachments

• Bells.jpg
    Bells.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 95
I’ve seen a wide variety of shortages all over our metro area, most I wasn’t expecting. Gatorade. Diet Pepsi Caffeine Free has been VERY scarce. Paper products come and go. Cleaning products come and go. Cars obviously. Still an extreme home sellers market here. I went to a state liquor store last night and the shelves were 75% empty, no exaggeration - I was shocked. I’ve noticed some products I could always count on at Costco aren’t always there anymore.

It took 4 months for my hitch mount bike rack to come in. And the dust mask section at Menards is still bare.

Only a few new cars on the local Ford and Chevy lots.

Concrete for me! Our local readymix plant won't even give me price quote and said they are only serving long time contractors at the moment!

North Florida here.

The most obvious shortages are soft drinks. Lots of empty shelves, with limited varieties available. Fresh fruit also seems low, and of dubious freshness.

One odd ball item is a battery recharger for my cannon camera. Ordered it from B&H four or five months ago. Every so often they send me an email stating that it is on back order, but no info on when to expect it.

All that sole sourcing and just in time inventory control works fine, until suddenly it doesn't. And then manufacturers rediscover the virtues of warehouses and alternative suppliers. However, I don't expect that epiphany to last long.

Odd shortages on the shelves of my local Kroger store. In the past these were seldom and quickly remedied, but now often persist week after week. Large bags of frozen green beans---this at Trader Joe's also--, the store brand of brown and confectioner's sugar, and more. Prices are up overall.

I started shopping online for a new space heater this morning. When clicking through several of the "recommended" models' links, they were consistently out of stock or only available from a third party seller at twice the price quoted on the reviewers' web pages.

When looking for a new printer last month the only ones in the office and big-box stores were the display models. Office Depot had assembled empty moving boxes to fill the shelves below the display printers. Online was a similar story.

There are shortages around me, but nothing serious yet. The main thing there’s a shortage of is deals. They might as well stop sending me the weekly sale paper. Prices and inflation in general are my biggest concern. Shortages and inflation seem to go together.

Wine bottles. I used to buy a dozen of the cheapo bottles for my daughter's sweet wine (yuck!) for $7. There now $27, if you can get them. Thank goodness we reuse 90% of our bottles.

Commercial wineries cannot reuse bottles.

You could buy a dozen Walmart cheap wine $2.98 ea for approx $36 , use the wine for cooking if you don't like it and have the bottles left over for reuse.
Paying $27 for a dozen empty bottles seems expensive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom