Product shortages in your area ?

As far as shortages, in both of the chain supermarkets in our neighborhood, certain items in the freezer section have empty shelves. I don't remember off-hand what they are, but when walking by it stands out.

+1

Of all the items I typically buy, certain frozen veggies (like spinach, kale, etc.) have been the most frequently out of stock at my local grocery stores over the past 18 months.

Talking frozen foods Costco in Tucson hasn't had organic blueberries for 6 months. I can get conventional blueberries at Walmart for more money.

Glad chase Freedom had 5% cashback at Walmart this quarter.

I started shopping online for a new space heater this morning.

So, the problem with my existing space heater was a broken wheel assembly. It dawned on me to look for spare parts online and voila! I ordered that instead, much cheaper and less wasteful, even though shipping was more expensive than the part. I just hope it was really in stock.

Our Walmart was out of Aunt Nellie's Pickled Beets this weekend. I don't know if it's a nationwide thing or just this store. :D

Not out of stock but I have a 4lb frozen strawberries in every Walmart pickup order...this week they went from 798 to 998. Bingo just like that.

Our state Wine & Spirit stores are out of my favorite scotch. This is getting serious!

I have not seen any shortages of products in my area. I have seen a lot of excessive price increases blamed on shortages but I think it's just price gouging by greedy corporations.

That might be ture in some cases. For example, while gas prices are definitely up in this area (Costco, always the cheapest, is now over $3/gal), there seems to be no shortage of gas - all gas stations open, all with all of their pumps open, etc. Sometimes it is like when a major storm approaches the gulf - "we *might* have gas shortages soon, so lets raise the price now" :).

DW was concerned when she saw a news report of empty shelves. I watch the report and 90% of it was what I call "scary anticipation" - "we know ships are backed up in a port so that may lead to shortages and lets show video of some not fully stocked shelves at one store, in anticipation of what everything might look like sometime in the future". From actually going around to more than half-dozen stores in our area, (a) Everything seems fully or near fully stocked, and (b) what what out of stock or low in one store seemed to be in full or near full stock in another store.

There are shortages, but after skimming this thread I would put 95% of them in the "expensive wants" category :). I think the only real shortage impacting me is waiting for a part needed to repair our fridge. However, since the issue is the fridge side being too cold, we can deal with waiting things out.

There is definitely a worker shortage. During my going around to the stores, every one of them had signs advertising for workers. In two stores when I chatted with employees about it, both encouraged me to apply. They were honest enough to say that the store was offering bonuses to employees who recruited workers for the store. :)

Appliances are in short supply. Renovators are advising clients not to discard their old appliances.

Some Asian food products are in very short supply. Causing issues for Thai and
Vietnamese restaurants. Specifically rice noodles. We make a fair amount of Thai food. We went out and bought six 500g packages Shelves were almost bare. Same for some other cooking items such as tamarind paste.

Nothing else really. We did find that some stores run out of something for a day or two but next time we are in the store the product is on the shelf.

I’ve seen a wide variety of shortages all over our metro area, most I wasn’t expecting. Gatorade. Diet Pepsi Caffeine Free has been VERY scarce. Paper products come and go. Cleaning products come and go. Cars obviously. Still an extreme home sellers market here. I went to a state liquor store last night and the shelves were 75% empty, no exaggeration - I was shocked. I’ve noticed some products I could always count on at Costco aren’t always there anymore.

I guess we know how our fellow North Carolinians are planning to get through this fall! :D:LOL:

Insecticide.

I just came back from a run to Home Depot to get some underground sprinkler PVC pipes and fittings. The one nearest my home was out, and I had to go a larger store further away. Thankfully, it still had some.

While there, I decided to get some insecticides for spraying around the home to control crickets. I used to get the concentrated type, but there's now only the ready-to-use type for $7/gal. And they have only a couple of brands, while there used to be more.

And I also looked for aerosol spray cans for mosquitoes and houseflies. They don't have a single can!

^ You're looking for things that the big box stores see as "seasonal". Sprinkler stuff and insecticides are out of season - at least here in the midwest. I wouldn't be able to get either until spring.

Reminds of a trip to Home Depot several years ago. Mid winter, I needed a round 5 gallon cooler for my beer brewing process. They told me that they didn't have any because they were out of season. They asked why I needed one when it was below freezing outside.

"Brewing beer" I said. The Home Depot associate got on his walkie talkie and told the manager that they had a special case where a customer needed a cooler. A few minutes later, a few employees showed up with a forklift and got me a cooler from the winter storage stock up near the ceiling.

^ You're looking for things that the big box stores see as "seasonal". Sprinkler stuff and insecticides are out of season - at least here in the midwest. I wouldn't be able to get either until spring.

This is Arizona. It's gardening season...Time to seed winter grass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tigard, Oregon Costco has a sign posted at the entrance: no toilet paper or paper towels.

I hope by "hard drive" the OP meant "SSD" instead. :)

Not much use anymore for rotational hard drives beyond DVRs or surveillance systems.

As for TP I now order a bamboo TP since it seems more logical to get that from a fast-growing grass versus a slow-growing tree.

Plus I can pull a bunch off the roll and wipe the (unused) squares vigorously on my next mail-in ballot to mess with all the conspiracy theorists.

Thank you all for assisting me in making my husband's shopping list!!
;^)

Well, I was on the Target website, took a peek at the Charmin price and square footage, and now I will be picking a 30 pack up along with the ground coffee I was there to buy. You all are bad influences! Bonus: No Costco line!

When I bought my condo and wanted new appliances I only bought ones in stock. I did the same with my loveseat and chair. I ordered my bed from sleep number and did have to wait 6 weeks. No real shortages in Reno. The price of homes, gas and groceries have went up a lot.

This has to be in violation of some law, somewhere places can't keep your money indefinitely and not produce your product. They have some nerve being curt with you after holding your money since May with no firm delivery date.

+1

That is an issue I am having now with some home improvement items I want to order. They dealers wants 50% up front, but will not agree to a 'drop dead' date by which I get all my money back if they can't deliver the product. I have no problem giving them a generous amount of padding on the delivery time (like 2x their estimated delivery time), but at some point, I should be able to get my money back and try later.

+1

That is an issue I am having now with some home improvement items I want to order. They dealers wants 50% up front, but will not agree to a 'drop dead' date by which I get all my money back if they can't deliver the product. I have no problem giving them a generous amount of padding on the delivery time (like 2x their estimated delivery time), but at some point, I should be able to get my money back and try later.

It's not like they are actually producing your item, in fact they aren't producing your item.And if they are in such high demand if you don't want it someone else will buy it..

I was in the local WalMart today for just a couple items. I noticed that the soft drink aisle was looking pretty bare. Don't know if that means a shortage, or if the Pepsi truck driver just overslept on a Sunday !!! Also looking for some snack items to take along on a visit to a family member......the chip, cheetos, corn chip aisle was also looking pretty empty. Settled for some microwave popcorn. Got an extra package of paper towels. Will probably do the same with TP the next time. Just in case winter causes people to go into panic mode again.

It's not like they are actually producing your item, in fact they aren't producing your item.And if they are in such high demand if you don't want it someone else will buy it..

Fine with me. They can keep their products and then sell them to somebody else. And I will keep my money. The new items while important to me are not urgent. My home will still be comfortable, warm and dry this winter. And pleasant this Summer. Like Stephen Covey said - Win/Win or No Deal.

Yup, if it costs too much don't buy it.

Yup, if it costs too much don't buy it.

It's so much the cost as the requirement that I put up 50% without any type of guarantee that I will get the products in some reasonable time, or get my deposit back.

I have an acquaintance who purchase over $5000 worth of furniture earlier this year. His deposit was $2000. Deliver was supposed to be in 2-3 months, we are well past double that time. So far, no furniture and the seller refuses to refund the deposit. He recently located some furniture in another store which was immediately available, but.... since he can't get a refund for the previous purchase he is stuck. Not so good.

What is so hard about understanding that if you can't deliver the goods as promised you can't keep the money?

Back
Top Bottom