Progressive glasses - BIG adjustment?

I've had progressives for decades. It has only been in the last 5 - 7 years or so that any problems came up. All fixable.
FWIW, here's what I found as the problems:

My Ophthalmologist, who is a great surgeon, has office munchkins do the refractions. That's the first introduction of error. Then afterwards he was marking upwards the Read adder to +2.50 for anyone over the age of 60, irrespective of what was really needed.

I had glasses made by an optical shop I could trust. Got a pair, whoa! As I turned my head side to side, the reader area was like a fish-eye lens effect! A lot of movement! Never had that before! Walking, I felt like I was about to step into the great beyond. The optical shop folks were looking into it to try to figure out what happened. I did some experimenting at home. Then both of us got together and found we both came to the same conclusion! That the Read adder was too high in optical power. They knocked it down and had another pair of lenses made, was fine after that.

From what I am reading in this thread, let me describe an experiment I use. It's proved out to be a test that optical shops don't have.
It concerns the positioning of the Read area. Think about this - a measure of your pupil to nose to pupil distance is made with you looking straight ahead. That's fine for "distance". But for "reading", you are looking at something much closer, and your inter-pupil distance decreases. You can prove this with another person. Have the person hold their finger out at arms length, then have them focus on it, as they move their finger closer and closer to their nose. Watch their pupil to pupil distance as this happens. Your glasses should have the reader area closer to your nose.

I recently had a pair made at Walmart, DW has had good luck with them. I didn't. Right away I knew something was way off. I determined at home that not only was the read area NOT closer to my nose, it was offset on both lenses to the OUTSIDE of my "distance" area! What a screw-up! The Walmart person was very nice, offered to run another set of lenses. He had some difficulty understanding what I was saying was wrong. He did not have any sort of instrument to show it. I said no thanks, if the second run is bad, I'm not paying for it. I got my money back and we parted on amicable terms.
I went to a new chain shop, same prescription, whatever lab they use did it right.

Here's the experiment. If you have an analog TV, it's very easy. With a lighter-colored background video, hold the glasses a ways in front of you, and slowly move them around a little bit while watching the picture. Will have to try different distances from the TV. What you are looking for is the "hump effect" of the reading area. You can see how far it extends out, get a feeling of it's power, and where it is located on each lens.
No analog TV? Use a 8 1/2 x 11" page of smaller print, need a page with many lines of same-size text. Make one and print it off, if nothing suitable is at hand. Once again, hold glasses some distance away, figure out the distance to see the distortion effect of the hump as you slowly move the glasses side-to-side. you will see the lines of type rise upwards, then go back down. Play with it, you can see the extent and placement of the Read area. Is it where it should be, for both eyes? Is the area very small, or way too big?

For some reason, labs are screwing this up a lot in the last 5 years or so. Don't know why, probably a race to the bottom.

And yes, I stopped getting refractions done at my Ophthalmologist. A waste of money there. Instead, I go to an Optometrist who does his own lens-flipping and knob-turning. He's great!

EDIT - You can use the book I just wrote here as the source of text for the experiment, if you are reading this on a monitor. I just took off my glasses and tried it, it worked great! :)

Last edited:
I have had progressives for years, wore contacts until about age 40, both near and far sighted with astigmatism.
When I first got them, I felt a bit woozy. The optometrist told me to put them on first thing in the morning and I would adjust better. He was correct!

I have never had to move my head side to side when reading, but I do look down through the lowest part of the lens for the higher power.

I have also been told that a larger lens has better progression and less distortion. So the shape of your glasses may be causing a problem?
I have found a specific shape lens that works well for my prescription and I try to stay close to that.

I'm a docent who needs to look down to glance at notes and also look up at objects in the distance. I bought progressives for this. However, I have never been able to read for a period of time with them, so I also have reading glasses.

I also try not to walk down stairs with them, or at least try to avoid looking down.
I'm sure you realize if you tilt your head down even more, the stairs come back into focus, at least if the bottom part of the lens is for reading. I sometimes take them off down stairs, sometimes just tilt my chin down further, but no question stairs are a hazard with progressives or bifocals.

I'm sure you realize if you tilt your head down even more, the stairs come back into focus, at least if the bottom part of the lens is for reading. I sometimes take them off down stairs, sometimes just tilt my chin down further, but no question stairs are a hazard with progressives or bifocals.

I never noticed an issue with stairs. Not having my glasses on would certainly be an issue but my new progressives aren't at all.

I never had any issues - and expected them after friends reported issues.

Well... the only issue I had was when I chose frames that did not have enough 'lens height' (my term) so the progressive was basically non-existent. I had a fitter explain that the because my lenses were so short (up and down) there wasn't room for my progressive lens to get the full amount of magnification. I've selected bigger lens size frames since and haven't had any problems.

Never had an issue with stairs. I think my adjustment period when I first got them about 15 years ago was 15 minutes. I knew I needed progressives because I would 'stack' a pair of readers on top of my regular glasses for close work. (2 pairs of glasses - looked ridiculous). LOL.

I first got progressive lenses about 8 years ago. It took about 2 hours to adjust to them. I got new glasses in December from Costco. I was adjusted to them by the time I got to the car. I also have a pair of music/computer glasses which were also updated.

I’ve been wearing glasses/contacts since the third grade. That probably plays a role in my easy adjustment to new glasses.

Ive been wearing progressive lenses for about 20 years. The technology continues to improve and the vision area continues to get wider with the improvements. My first pair was exactly what others had described, having to move your head and look directly ahead to see clearly with loss of peripheral vision.

Over the years you learn a motor skill where you automatically find the right part of the lens to look out of depending on where you are looking. As time as progressed it now only takes me a few hours to become accustomed to a new pair of glasses.

The newer lenses are so much better now than they were 20 years ago. I have had both the Varilux (an absolutely astounding lens) and the newest digital lenses. My current pair are digital and is perhaps the best lens I have had in years. You do get what you pay for when it comes to lenses. I get that people have to get what they can afford but good lenses will go a long way toward good vision.

I heard the newer lenses really have come a long way. Ordered my progressives yesterday. We shall see.

I heard the newer lenses really have come a long way. Ordered my progressives yesterday. We shall see.

Ok, two weeks into my new Varilux progressive lens. I am very happy with them. Pretty much adapted after four or five days. Love the mid range n the car. Can see the dash and gps screen. Actually think vision is better overall.

I would not want to adapt to having poor peripheral vision or blurry version when looking off center. I returned mine immediately years ago... never again.

Ok, two weeks into my new Varilux progressive lens. I am very happy with them. Pretty much adapted after four or five days. Love the mid range n the car. Can see the dash and gps screen. Actually think vision is better overall.

Which model did you get? I need to replace my (non Varilux) progressives and am thinking of their X model. Pricey but if they'll help me, well worth it. My vision needs are unique and although I've worn progressives for years w/o problems, I am unable to do so now. I am slightly nearsighted and constantly taking my single focus lenses off and on is driving me nuts.

I had worn contacts since I was a teenager, but by my late 50's, calcium deposits on the eye made that impossible so it was time for glasses. I went for the progressive lenses (Costco) and had zero problems, my vision immediately felt completely natural. Everyone's experience is different.

I would not want to adapt to having poor peripheral vision or blurry version when looking off center. I returned mine immediately years ago... never again.
I have been wearing progressives for 35 years or so. Nearsighted, that got worse and worse as I aged. Then eventually, cataract surgery with IOLs that have spherical correction in them, and spherical touch-up correction and astigmatism correction is done externally in my post-cataract progressive glasses. Never had any of the issues you mentioned, except for two mistakes, which were corrected:

1st) An arbitrary boost-up on the reading adder "for older folks" by the Ophthalmologist (what? Older folks are NOT all alike!) gave me Dalek-like vision (Ex-ter-min-ate! Ex-ter-min-ate!). Trouble-shot independently in parallel by me and the optics shop I went to for the lenses. Solution - prescription corrected to drop the adder down to were it should be for me, new lenses made, perfect.
Additional solution was to drop the paid Refraction testing at the Ophthalmologist. Helpers do the refraction there, not the doc. Too many $$ riding on low-skill workers for me to be comfortable with their results these days. I let them do it one last time, as a test case. Then went to a Optometrist who was highly recommended by a fellow Engineering friend. That doc does his own hands-on refraction. He really dials it in. And has the time to talk with the patient, and answer questions. That's were I go now for the refraction prescriptions.

2nd) Recent first experience with WalMart. DW has had good luck there, but her luck may have just run out with her latest. For me, it was a washout first-time. Something wrong right away with the reading area. I tried wearing them for days. No go, bad. Figured it out myself - the reading "sweet spots" should be slightly closer together than the inter-pupil distance. But these were further apart! Totally wrong! It was the lab that screwed it up. But since WM store had no way to test where the reading sweet spots were located left/right, I wasn't going to risk $$ on another wrong set being made and be stuck with useless glasses. WM refunded my $$ with no problem.
Took prescription to an America's Best place that opened up recently. Soon as I put them on, I knew they were right.

I've learned that there are enough steps in the overall process where mistakes or negligence can occur, to make a bad product. That's been my personal experience. YVMV :)

Have had them for a few years. They do take a little bit of getting used to but like everything, it eventually becomes automatic.

For me, the biggest help is when I'm driving as I can see distance, as always, but I can now more clearly see the instrument panel.

If I've driven to a store, I can actually read ingredient labels, prices, etc. without carrying around a second set of glasses.

What I don't like: Like any bifocals, the field of view for reading is just too narrow for my liking. So when doing any serious reading or working online, I go back to my reading glasses.

Cheers

Which model did you get? I need to replace my (non Varilux) progressives and am thinking of their X model. Pricey but if they'll help me, well worth it. My vision needs are unique and although I've worn progressives for years w/o problems, I am unable to do so now. I am slightly nearsighted and constantly taking my single focus lenses off and on is driving me nuts.
I do not know the subset of Varilux. I will try to find out and let you know.

Back
Top Bottom