Proposed 2019 Health Insurance increases

pb4uski

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just saw a news article today. We have two health insurers and they are proposing premium increases for 2019 of 5.3% and 6.4%.

BCBS is proposing an average increase of 5.3% with a range of 3.5% to 6.8% for various plans, except for our catasophic plan, for which they are requesting a 1.2% increase. :dance:

Last edited:
Really? I've never had a single digit % increase - wonder what it is like. :)

Last 3 years BCBS of MS increased by 15% per year. Next year I will only have 1/2 a year by whatever they go up and then I'm onto medicare and supplements. Yeaaa......

Update: Read that the headline 5.3% and 6.4% increases are averages after some state subsidies that have recently been put in place because CSRs are being phased out by the feds. Before those subsidies, the proposed increases were 7.5% for BCBS and 10.9% for MVP. Still, not too bad.

http://ratereview.vermont.gov/sites/dfr/files/2018/2019 Proposed VHC Insure Rates.pdf

Today, the Green Mountain Care Board (GMCB) received and began its review of the proposed 2019 health insurance rates for plans offered to individuals, families and small businesses through Vermont Health Connect. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Vermont (BCBSVT) is requesting an average annual rate increase of 7.5% over 2018 rates, while MVP Health Care (MVP) is requesting a 10.9% average annual rate increase.

This year, in response to federal action eliminating “cost sharing reduction” (CSR) payments that reduced the cost of health insurance for low income Vermonters, the insurers worked with stakeholders to help pass Act 88 - legislation that increases the availability of advance premium tax credits and which offsets any financial impact on Vermonters from the loss of the federal funding of the CSRs. Taking into consideration the availability of the additional credits, BCBSVT’s proposed average annual rate increase is 5.3%, and MVP’s proposed average increase is 6.4%

My employee/retiree federal BCBS insurance costs the same whether with or without Medicare. Increases in this BCBS insurance have been:

2016: 10.1%
2017: 5.8%
2018: 6.8%

I have no idea what is in store for 2019; life is an adventure, right? :) But I have no complaints. The price is very good despite the increases.

Back
Top Bottom