PSA: Craig’s List

I have a new addiction for the app OfferUp. I have been disappointed twice in the last week where I offered to purchase an item the offer is accepted and then sold to someone else. It’s frustrating.

Interesting to see the sellers side on prior posts.

I am looking for quality I wouldn’t pay top dollar for but will pay some thing for. I am not a flake but I can see how others spoil the soup for all.

Picking up an Ethan Allen coffee and side table today for $60, was planning on picking up 2 chairs from another seller for $500, day of her choosing which she agreed to, but then she said they sold to someone else. That’s irritating ��

Although my initial experience with CL was positive (and I unloaded a lot of stuff), I did run into one annoying thing. I think some people just want to jerk another people around. You list a free item. You get an (intentionally) anonymous email back through the CL system that says “I could use that - I can pick it up this morning”. You send back pick-up instructions but they never show. I learned to respond to such an email with “Great - email me your phone number and I’ll call you with directions.” Only once did someone send the phone number and after I called her she did show up. I learned not to consider a reply to be serious unless they were willing to provide a phone number.

On the “there are still a lot of nice people out there…” theme:

I had a box full of dollhouse furniture and accessories. We had bought some of it when our girls (now in late 40s/early 50s) were little. My father also made some of it. Our granddaughters were never interested in it so it sat in our basement for years. I had several responses for it, one from a woman who said her granddaughter had just gotten a dollhouse but had no furnishings and would love it. Being a softie, I offered it to her and she showed up as promised and thanked me profusely. A couple of days later the nicest thank-you note arrived from the grandmother saying that the granddaughter loved the stuff and had been playing with it a lot and felt privileged to have made the steward of it. Much better than selling it for $10 or $20.

I'm done with free on CL. Rough stats on the last attempt:

• 6 "is it still available", then crickets after I responded (when the ad said "If you are seeing this it's available)
  • 4 received the location, but didn't show up

It went in the trash, a long with several other items that would never fetch more than $20... just not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom