PSA: Never buying a (Toyota) nav system again?

Original post:

Current discussion:

And people wonder what we do all day. :LOL:

HA! I thought that too. I hadn't come back to this subscribed thread in a few days because of the non-relevant discussion...but usually after a couple of days, it will come back around...not in this case! :LOL:

Original post:
Replacement OEM GPS units are expensive
Current discussion:
Should rear cameras be mandatory?
And people wonder what we do all day. :LOL:

Ahh, never underestimate the potential of smart people with free time. :)

That would motivate the manufacturers to make these things reliable and repairable, and maybe use standardized modules and connectors where applicable to keep costs down.

-ERD50
I thought ERD did a great job bringing those two things together.

I did not know backup cameras are now a requirement until I read this thread. For what it's worth, I want to share the following info.

The authors of Superfreakonomics pointed out that in the US if a person drove 24 hours/day at a speed of 30 mi/hr, he could expect to die of a traffic accident after driving straight for 285 years. This is based on actual fatalities and the trillions of miles that Americans drive each year.

They also pointed out that seat belts save lives at a cost of $30,000/life. Airbags? It's $1.8 million/life.

A thing I like to add is that the above numbers do not include costs coming from injuries and loss of limbs, etc... So, it gets a bit more complicated.

I have nothing more to add for now. :)

Oh, by the way, built-in NAVs suck. I think that's a concensus.

Last edited:
The authors of Superfreakonomics pointed out that in the US if a person drove 24 hours/day at a speed of 30 mi/hr, he could expect to die of a traffic accident after driving straight for 285 years.
If a person tries that 30 MPH thing on most interstate highways, I doubt he'll have to wait 285 years to die in an accident. But I see some people that may have read that same thing and are trying it out.

The authors of Superfreakonomics pointed out that in the US if a person drove 24 hours/day at a speed of 30 mi/hr, he could expect to die of a traffic accident after driving straight for 285 years.
When I was a kid, I took naps on the shelf above the back seat. When we were raising kids we used the back of the station wagon as a play pen. One time we packed 9 of us (four adults and 5 kids) into a CJ7. Loading the baseball team into the back of a pickup was common. It's a wonder any of us lived to adulthood :angel:

It's a wonder any of us lived to adulthood :angel:

a608bf60d8ab01316c90005056a9545d

More here: A608bf60d8ab01316c90005056a9545d

If a person tries that 30 MPH thing on most interstate highways, I doubt he'll have to wait 285 years to die in an accident. But I see some people that may have read that same thing and are trying it out.
It's curious how the authors use the average speed of 30 mph. But, in LA, around SF and on the DC beltway, people are lucky to average 30mph on the congested freeway.

By the way, I compute the driving distance for a fatality as 285 x 365 x 24 x 30 = 75 million miles. That's 12,500 coast-to-coast round trips (3,000 miles one way).

When I was a kid, I took naps on the shelf above the back seat. When we were raising kids we used the back of the station wagon as a play pen. One time we packed 9 of us (four adults and 5 kids) into a CJ7. Loading the baseball team into the back of a pickup was common. It's a wonder any of us lived to adulthood :angel:

The authors of Superfreakonomics pointed out that people did die a lot more in auto accidents before the availability of seat belts. They said McNamara, as president of Ford Motor before being Secretary of Defense during the Vietnam war, was credited with pushing for seat belts in cars as a life saver device. At $30K/life, it is really cheap.

Back
Top Bottom