"Quarter Life" Crisis?

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I admit that I had no idea who Ash Barty was prior to reading this article. Apparently, she is the #1 ranked woman tennis player in the world and at the age of 25, she going to retire from tennis. Basically she is tired and wants to do other things. I think it's an interesting story to see someone going out at the very top of their career. I don't know what her earnings have been, but I would guess they have been pretty good and if she manages it well, she could so whatever she wants*.

The article goes on to discuss the "quarter life" crisis as well, which I think could be quite detrimental for a lot of people working towards the prime of their income producing years.

Harrison said it was interesting to note the growing number of people in their mid to late twenties and early thirties experiencing a “quarter-life crisis” or rethinking their goals and priorities.

She said it was easy for people to feel “locked-in” to a chosen job or career but that we shouldn’t be afraid to change direction.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/23/careers-lessons-from-ash-bartys-retirement-from-tennis.html

* Edit: Yeah, she's made plenty of money.

According to the offical WTA website, the Australian's prize money total at the time of her retirement sits at US $23,829,071. Barty's 2022 Australian Open triumph alone brought in $2,163,220

Last edited:
A 25 yr old pro tennis player has had a lot more narrow focus on her career and for a lot longer than a typical 20/30something. I don't know anything else about her either but her teens were probably singularly focused on tennis. Not hard to see why she may be burnt out already.

Good for her, I think it’s nice to see things like this, high profile folks putting their health ahead of public expectations once they have achieved their personal goals. (She is the first female home winner of the Australian Open in 44 years)

Marion Bartoli did something similar a few years back at age 28 just after she won Wimbledon. She is now a regular on TV in the UK as a tennis pundit and I would think has a lot less stress in her life.

Last edited:
According to the official WTA website, the Australian's prize money total at the time of her retirement sits at US $23,829,071. Barty's 2022 Australian Open triumph alone brought in $2,163,220.

And that's only her actual tournament prize money. Top ranked tennis players make far more in sponsorship money, typically, than they do from their tournament winnings. I'd bet she's made a LOT more than $23MM in her career, although who knows how much she's actually worth. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that she's spent millions over the years on travel, salaries, and expenses for her assistants, coaches, trainers and other folks in her entourage.

Back
Top Bottom