Question for New York Times Online Subscribers, Crossword Peeps

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been identified by some algorithm and I'm being bombarded with a special offer to subscribe to the NYTimes online for $1 a week. Sounds like a good deal especially if it comes with the daily crossword and other puzzles.

My question is this--Is it easy to print out the crossword so I can use paper and pencil to solve it?

It does not include the crossword puzzles. You need a separate subscription for the crosswords (I think it is $3.99/ month).
I can do sudoku puzzles online with my $1 week subscription to The NY Times online.

I did the buck a week subscription for a year, but unsubscribed when the price went back up. Incidentally, they made it a real hassle to unsubscribe.

Now I just have the games subscription because I do enjoy the spelling bee and crosswords. That was $40 a year plus tax.

I have subscribed to the crossword for years, as I'm working my way through the archives. The puzzles have a "Print" function that IMO does a very good job of laying them out, although I think the Sunday version is a bit small. I'm attaching a PDF of a daily and Sunday for you to see. Personally, I love typing the answers rather than writing them in on paper, but I've always hated writing things out by hand, I don't know why. I think it even started before I got my first home computer at 12. Anyway, this is what you would get. (I used the "ink saver" to print the black squares in gray.)

EDIT: but yes, they are separate subscriptions to the paper and the puzzles.

Attachments

• May0805.pdf
    209.8 KB · Views: 23
  • May0905.pdf
    142.2 KB · Views: 13
I have subscribed to the crossword for years, as I'm working my way through the archives. The puzzles have a "Print" function that IMO does a very good job of laying them out, although I think the Sunday version is a bit small. I'm attaching a PDF of a daily and Sunday for you to see. Personally, I love typing the answers rather than writing them in on paper, but I've always hated writing things out by hand, I don't know why. I think it even started before I got my first home computer at 12. Anyway, this is what you would get. (I used the "ink saver" to print the black squares in gray.)

EDIT: but yes, they are separate subscriptions to the paper and the puzzles.

This was an awesome post. Thanks for the info. BONUS--I've got two crosswords to do.

Follow on question:
Does the NYTimes crossword follow the convention that the Monday crossword is the easiest, then getting more and more difficult to solve as the week goes on, with Friday being the toughest?

This was an awesome post. Thanks for the info. BONUS--I've got two crosswords to do.

Follow on question:
Does the NYTimes crossword follow the convention that the Monday crossword is the easiest, then getting more and more difficult to solve as the week goes on, with Friday being the toughest?
Yes, although sometimes it's a tossup between Th-F-Sa as to which is the hardest, IME it's usually Saturday, then Friday, but some weeks Thursday. Monday is usually a 3-4 minute puzzle. :cool: Sunday is longer but not usually very hard.

It does not include the crossword puzzles. You need a separate subscription for the crosswords (I think it is $3.99/ month).
I can do sudoku puzzles online with my $1 week subscription to The NY Times online.

I did the buck a week subscription for a year, but unsubscribed when the price went back up. Incidentally, they made it a real hassle to unsubscribe.

Now I just have the games subscription because I do enjoy the spelling bee and crosswords. That was $40 a year plus tax.

That's a shame that they charge more for the crossword and other games. But I suppose if they can get it, they'll charge more.

The one thing I'll warn puzzle enthusiasts about (although if you're familiar with crosswords you probably already know this) is that the NYTC is a bit NY-centric. They like to use IRT, IND, BMT (NYC subway lines), SRO (standing room only, Broadway lingo for sold out), and a lot of baseball names and terms (no surprise for those in a city with two major league teams), for some more common ones. But if you do them regularly you'll get to learn them regardless of where you live.

I started out looking up things, particularly history and opera, but now I've done enough where I remember most of the more common answers, and I've gotten better about guessing at the names or terms for things I don't know.

I have the all access subscription, but thought I'd chime in to say I really like the NYT Xword iPad app and find it easier to use than the web version. But it's certainly not the same feel as pencil (pen?) and paper. Also, the electronic crosswords come out at 10:00 PM Eastern Time the night before.

If you haven't tried the Spelling Bee, it's a hoot. There was a thread on this recently. It's the first thing I do in the morning.

I think you can get a free trial to the NYT Games subscription.

The subscription gives you much more than just the daily crossword. You also get access to their puzzle archives (back to the 1990’s) of many types of puzzles such as acrostics and what they call variety puzzles.

The syndicated version of the NYT crossword puzzle is available free. It's a 6-week delay, so if you don't mind doing the Christmas puzzle on Valentine's Day, it's an option.

Crossword: https://nytsyn.pzzl.com/cwd

Also Sudokus: https://nytsyn.pzzl.com/sudoku/

Thanks for the links.

Our local newspaper has the daily NYTimes crossword and one other one, I guess called the Universal Crossword. The weekday NYTimes puzzles are delayed about 4 weeks. The Sunday NYTimes crossword is delayed 2 weeks. We only take the Saturday and Sunday edition as home delivery print edition, the rest of the week we read online. As soon as the paper comes on Sat. and Sun. I make copies of the crosswords and give the paper back to her. In this way we can both do the crosswords.

This is a nice resource:

https://rexwordpuzzle.blogspot.com/

If I get stuck and can't fill in some spots I sometimes take a peek. Otherwise, I like to read the comments after I've filled out a challenging puzzle.

How many puzzles a day can we do before an intervention is required?

I started out doing the NYT crossword and KenKen puzzles (the gateway drugs), then this forum introduced me to Brain Bashers and, most recently, the NYT spelling bee. Altogether I probably now [-]waste[/-] while away at least an hour on these most days (and more on Sundays).

Last edited:
How many puzzles a day can we do before an intervention is required?

I started out doing the NYT crossword and KenKen puzzles (the gateway drugs), then this forum introduced me to Brain Bashers and, most recently, the NYT spelling bee. Altogether I probably now [-]waste[/-] while away at least an hour on these most days (and more on Sundays).
At least 30, based on extensive experimentation, although mine are all crosswords and Sudoku, and when I do the "daily" Sudoku puzzles, I start with Easiest and work my way up.

Although some who know me might say that an intervention IS required....:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom