Race to 2024 - please join :)

The Cosmic Avenger, Thanks!
Do you have your own thread somewhere with details? I would be interested to follow.
Link to mine is in the first post of this topic.
Yes, I went back to the first page, and read that, then your most recent one. (Hence my comment about our similarities.) I didn't really start my own retirement thread, unless you count my "Hi I am" post, where I did summarize. (My scores are better now, 100% in FIREcalc and 110 in Fidelity's planner, where I've been adding optional spending as the numbers improve. :cool:

Avenger, impressive success rates for both, FIREcalc and Fidelity planner. Hoping to see such number for us one day, so far both show around 90% but we put life expectancy at 100 years :D

Avenger, impressive success rates for both, FIREcalc and Fidelity planner. Hoping to see such number for us one day, so far both show around 90% but we put life expectancy at 100 years :D
Well, as I said, I have adjusted my projected spending based on the projected income. I know I can always spend more (and I can always come back here to the Blow That Dough! thread if I need inspiration), and I have lived on very little, so I am comfortable with the idea of subsistence living as long as I can check out library books (and movies, and whatever), do crosswords, and socialize.

Anyway, it sounds like you don't have far to go! ;)

That's great! Congrats! :dance:
I don't know why I didn't see this thread before, but we're a lot alike. Our first, last, and only will be starting college in the fall, and so we're kind of aiming for 2024, after the last tuition payment! The thing is, we don't really have a target. Actually, FIREcalc and Fidelity's retirement planner say we could retire now, but we want to wait until our expenses are a bit lower (again, tuition), and maybe be able to upgrade our spending in retirement, particularly travel spending. We're flexible, though, so if it's the depths of a recession in mid-2024, we might work a bit more just so we aren't making withdrawals at the bottom of the market, but we probably could afford to do so if we wanted to...after all, most of it would stay in the market for decades.

Welcome to the Race to '24 Cosmic Avenger. Sounds like you finished 1st.

I'm still plugging away, 3 quarters in a row got 2% closer each quarter. Now @ 58% of the goal.

Markola, this thread is for people who are targeting to be in class 2024, to post results and support each other.
Other one is my personal introduction to the forum and updates on my personal progress. “Exit 2024” is my nick, btw, and Plan for Exit 2024 is literally my plan.
I do not agree on joining them together and do not see why they should be, if moderators have any questions they can contact me directly.

For those who are set to reach FI/RE in 2024, how long have you guys been working on this?

For those who are set to reach FI/RE in 2024, how long have you guys been working on this?

- Working since 16, but didn't put a plan together until I was 30. I've been working off and refining that plan over the last twenty years.

I'm tempted to say all my life... :cool:
I'm pretty sure I started putting some money in a 401(k) as soon as I got my first office job in 1998, but that's also about when we started looking to buy a house. I didn't get really serious about it until 2008 or so.

I started a thread here (in the Hi section) when I was 38 (45 now) that's when I got serious about getting my financial life back on track after an expensive divorce which had knocked me off my feet. But I truly got the bug about retiring early when I was 29. I'm targeting retiring around 2025 (at 50 +/- 2 yrs).

About 15 years so far.
15 years since I made a plan and started tracking finances aka savings rate, networth, expenses, etc. Savings in 401K since first day of job about 20 years ago.

In a little over a week we'll all be posting our Q1 Update. I don't know about the rest of you, but mine is going to be very ugly!

In a little over a week we'll all be posting our Q1 Update. I don't know about the rest of you, but mine is going to be very ugly!
Meh, if I can't travel and I can't go out to fancy dinners, I could get by on a lot less.

Which is perfect, because now I have a lot less!

Net Worth Excluding Real Estate and Personal Property
06/20/2017 - $1,205k
10/02/2017 - $1,273k - Nice little quarter, I would say.
1/1/2018 - $1,354k - Still headed in the right direction. Let's see what 2018 has to offer.
4/1/2018 - $1,398k - Smaller increase this quarter as the market hasn't helped. Luckily my contributions more than made up for the lack of market returns.
07/02/2018 - $1,461k - Q2 was similar story to Q1. Moving in the right direction though.
10/01/2018 - $1,537k
01/01/2019 - $1,328k - Ouch, what a terrible December
04/01/2019 - $1,520k - Q1 got back much of what Q4 lost!
07/01/2019 - $1,576k - Nice quarter and a new high. Still chugging along.
10/01/2019 - $1,594k - While I'm way up from January. I'm not that far up from same period prior year. But, I'll keep piling it in and hope the market helps me along the way.
01/01/2020 - $1,729 - Excellent Q4 for 2019, which more than made up for Q4 2018. Here's hoping 2020 brings more of the same.

04/01/2020 - $1,453k - Wow, the last 3 weeks have been brutal. Down $276k from last quarter and $67k from last year! Also, my totals always are as of the last day of the quarter, so before the market opens on the day I list. If I would have done it after yesterday's close as opposed to before it, I would be $60k lower, in one day! Anyway, I'm sure many of us are in the same boat. I'll keep hanging on until all this madness is over. Good luck, everyone.

I'm down about $500K since the peak, but it was $700K just a short while ago. I'd like to keep working for another 4-5 years, but if I had to I could retire now...travel is kind of out of the question for now anyway! Even if I lose my job (nothing to do with the pandemic, we knew it was a possibility last year) and don't work again AND the markets don't recover, we would be fine. We could always adjust our retirement plans. If these past few weeks have done me any good, they've at least proven that I can make do staying home and watching Netflix, as long as I can video chat with my friends!

We are also down, as everyone else,
-$152k for Q1, went from $1,737k to $1,585k,
about -9% of overall NW or -11% of NW without RE.

At this point we are just happy to have our paychecks and that we both can work from home. We continue to contribute to all our accounts as planned... will see how that all will work out at the end...

Back
Top Bottom