Race to 2024 - please join :)

Thank you! The reason is that my current job is very unstable and I can be laid off at any time. It is a very shitty job!

Yeah I think you’ll get there!! 110k in cash seems like a lot can I ask why your holding such a large cash position?

Q3 update:

Networth went from 900k to 930k despite of the recent drop down. I estimate I can reach 960k-980k in the end of the year.

My goal is to pull the trigger at 1.5M. I have a very shitty job and I hate it everyday. The manager is a stupid ass and never gave me any raise for 6 years. If I can reach 1.5M with this shitty job, I may do some part time/contractor job after getting out of this shitty job.

2019 Q2 update: finally reached 900K networth.

I am saving 10-12k a month on average. Hope to reach 1M in the end of the year if the market continues! Fingers crossed!

Q3 update:

Networth went from 900k to 930k despite of the recent drop down. I estimate I can reach 960k-980k in the end of the year.

My goal is to pull the trigger at 1.5M. I have a very shitty job and I hate it everyday. The manager is a stupid ass and never gave me any raise for 6 years. If I can reach 1.5M with this shitty job, I may do some part time/contractor job after getting out of this shitty job.

Hmm, I don't want to presume anything but it sounds to me your job might be shitty? :blush: Sorry I couldn't help it.
I've been there too, but then I took a pay cut to find a better job. I've been happy even though it's going to push my retirement date out a couple of years but in the long run I'm much happier.

Thank you! The reason is that my current job is very unstable and I can be laid off at any time. It is a very shitty job!

Is your shitty job very specialized and hence there are very few opportunities for you to go to other employers? You may find it helpful to sign up LinkedIn jobs and see their job notifications and do some interviews to see if a new job will change your mind.

Working environment is pretty important IMO. And if you are worried about it, take advantage of the currently-low unemployment rate and find one that you feel safe/comfortable in.

Technically I took a significant pay cut to quit an old job that was not a healthy situation and way too stressful. But considering they would have let me go a couple of months after I quit you could say I actually had a pay raise from $0 to my current salary.

Money isn’t everything. I learned that the hard way. You can be miserable and heading for an early grave making “good money.” But is it worth your health and sanity? For me the answer was no and it was one of the best decisions of my life to walk away from a poor work environment even though I didn’t have anything lined up as a replacement.

I will get to the point where I’m counting down the days until I retire. But it will be because I’m tired of the time commitment and structured days of going into work and not because I hate my job.

I did joke with my wife that the extra money I would have earned at my old job would’ve paid for my ulcer medication. In reality it looked more and more like that money was contributing to an early grave.

Good luck to you or anyone with a job you consider terrible. Believe me, as someone who worked community pharmacy for almost two full decades I know the feeling.

Someone asked me how I liked my consultant pharmacist job I have now. My response was “well nobody has pointed a gun at me yet so by default it’s better than retail.” Sadly, that’s not a joke.

Money isn’t everything. I learned that the hard way. You can be miserable and heading for an early grave making “good money.” But is it worth your health and sanity? For me the answer was no and it was one of the best decisions of my life to walk away from a poor work environment even though I didn’t have anything lined up as a replacement.

+1000 I did this about 10 years ago and it was, by far, the best professional decision I've even made. As well, my wife was also recently in a similar toxic situation (which I posted on a different thread) and gave her the same advice.

+1000 I did this about 10 years ago and it was, by far, the best professional decision I've even made. As well, my wife was also recently in a similar toxic situation (which I posted on a different thread) and gave her the same advice.

Ironically my wife left a toxic job environment the year after I did and now is going back to school to change fields. We’re both thankful we were able to walk away from bad work environments.

I think I’m most thankful for living below our means, getting out of debt, and saving money. That allowed both of us to avoid being trapped in employment situations that weren’t healthy because we were financially stable enough to seek out better opportunities. That freedom is priceless!

My skill set has applications in multiple industries, but currently I am in a specialized industry with high pay and only very few companies do similar work and they are not hiring. My expertise has applications in other general industries too, but I will have to take a significant pay cut if I move to other industries. Therefore, my current plan is to stay on this shitty job as long as possible. Once I get close to FIRE (currently at 60%), then I can take a pay cut and move to other industries. I will do a coast FIRE once I reach 80-90% of my goal.

Is your shitty job very specialized and hence there are very few opportunities for you to go to other employers? You may find it helpful to sign up LinkedIn jobs and see their job notifications and do some interviews to see if a new job will change your mind.

Working environment is pretty important IMO. And if you are worried about it, take advantage of the currently-low unemployment rate and find one that you feel safe/comfortable in.

Good for you!

I plan to suck it up to 80-90% of my FIRE goal at my current shitty job and then do coast FIRE and find more easy going jobs. I am at 60% of my goal. If I do coast FIRE now, it will be a long way to FIRE. If I can make to 80% of my goal, then I can ease the gas pedal and coast to FIRE. Currently my project is finishing up and I am not sure when they will FIRE me before I reach my 80% goal! Fingers crossed!

Technically I took a significant pay cut to quit an old job that was not a healthy situation and way too stressful. But considering they would have let me go a couple of months after I quit you could say I actually had a pay raise from $0 to my current salary.

I will get to the point where I’m counting down the days until I retire. But it will be because I’m tired of the time commitment and structured days of going into work and not because I hate my job.

I did joke with my wife that the extra money I would have earned at my old job would’ve paid for my ulcer medication. In reality it looked more and more like that money was contributing to an early grave.

Good luck to you or anyone with a job you consider terrible. Believe me, as someone who worked community pharmacy for almost two full decades I know the feeling.

Someone asked me how I liked my consultant pharmacist job I have now. My response was “well nobody has pointed a gun at me yet so by default it’s better than retail.” Sadly, that’s not a joke.

Thanks for sharing! If I can suck it up for another year, I will get close to 80% of my FIRE number, then I will do similar thing to switch to a lower stress job and only perform as a mediocre employee. Will no longer to give a S to deadlines and demands from managers. My goal is to be a mediocre employee and stay a very low profile in the crowds.

I feel hesitant to push my FIRE date too much further. I am at 60% of my goal and I plan to suck it up to 80-90% before I switch to lower stress jobs. If I switch now, my FIRE date will be 5-7 years away, but if I suck it up for another year, I can reach FIRE in 1-3 years. It is pretty significant difference.

Hmm, I don't want to presume anything but it sounds to me your job might be shitty? :blush: Sorry I couldn't help it.
I've been there too, but then I took a pay cut to find a better job. I've been happy even though it's going to push my retirement date out a couple of years but in the long run I'm much happier.

I feel hesitant to push my FIRE date too much further. I am at 60% of my goal and I plan to suck it up to 80-90% before I switch to lower stress jobs. If I switch now, my FIRE date will be 5-7 years away, but if I suck it up for another year, I can reach FIRE in 1-3 years. It is pretty significant difference.

Suck it up for the next year is the way to go.

Agreed...unless sucking it up for 3yrs lands you in the hospital of course.

I agree ChaseDream, suck it up for another year and then coast. That is my plan as I am close to fully funded, just want to get last child out of college before pulling plug on well paying but stressful job.

Crossed the 1 million milestone last Friday!

Went to eat out with family to celebrate.

Hope to advance to 1.5 M soon!

Q3 update:

Net Worth Excluding Real Estate and Personal Property
06/20/2017 - $1,205k
10/02/2017 - $1,273k - Nice little quarter, I would say.
1/1/2018 - $1,354k - Still headed in the right direction. Let's see what 2018 has to offer.
4/1/2018 - $1,398k - Smaller increase this quarter as the market hasn't helped. Luckily my contributions more than made up for the lack of market returns.
07/02/2018 - $1,461k - Q2 was similar story to Q1. Moving in the right direction though.
10/01/2018 - $1,537k
01/01/2019 - $1,328k - Ouch, what a terrible December
04/01/2019 - $1,520k - Q1 got back much of what Q4 lost!
07/01/2019 - $1,576k - Nice quarter and a new high. Still chugging along.
10/01/2019 - $1,594k - While I'm way up from January. I'm not that far up from same period prior year. But, I'll keep piling it in and hope the market helps me along the way.

01/01/2020 - $1,729 - Excellent Q4 for 2019, which more than made up for Q4 2018. Here's hoping 2020 brings more of the same.

We finished Q4 2019 at $1,737K of total NW, or 57.9% of FIRE target.
For the full 2019 our NW went up by $325k and we beat year end target by $112k

42.8% - investments and cash only
68.8% of target when including cash flow from properties.

46.3% - investments and cash only (would like to break 50%!!!)
74.2% of target when including cash flow from properties.

Spending cash and some investments to rehab a property, but it will be worth it in the end.

2019 Q4: 1.01M

Went up by 250k in 2019.

Hope to reach 1.2M in 2020!

My job is very unstable and a possible layoff may slow me down, but I will do whatever I can to reach my goal!

Crossed the 1 million milestone last Friday!

Went to eat out with family to celebrate.

Hope to advance to 1.5 M soon!

Now at 67.6% of total goal, 46% of investment goals. Not bad for spending a lot more on hobbies than I had originally planned for the year.

69.7% of total goal, 49.4% investments completed. This year should put me close to 60% of investments.

I wasn't very good at saving my OT money this past year thanks to taking care of some family stuff and buying a significant amount of equipment for hobbies, all of which should be expenses I'm not paying again anytime soon, so I'm hoping to do better this year with my contributions.

We finished Q4 2019 at $1,737K of total NW, or 57.9% of FIRE target.
For the full 2019 our NW went up by $325k and we beat year end target by $112k
That's great! Congrats! :dance:
I don't know why I didn't see this thread before, but we're a lot alike. Our first, last, and only will be starting college in the fall, and so we're kind of aiming for 2024, after the last tuition payment! The thing is, we don't really have a target. Actually, FIREcalc and Fidelity's retirement planner say we could retire now, but we want to wait until our expenses are a bit lower (again, tuition), and maybe be able to upgrade our spending in retirement, particularly travel spending. We're flexible, though, so if it's the depths of a recession in mid-2024, we might work a bit more just so we aren't making withdrawals at the bottom of the market, but we probably could afford to do so if we wanted to...after all, most of it would stay in the market for decades.

The Cosmic Avenger, Thanks!
Do you have your own thread somewhere with details? I would be interested to follow.
Link to mine is in the first post of this topic.

Back
Top Bottom