Ranking of Healthcare Systems Worldwide

Then there is France with 8% patient out-of-pocket and number 1 ranking by WHO.

Does France's former reputation as being somewhat antagonistic of US travellers reveal itself also in France's medical system?

Based on.... ?? I think mostly familiarity.

I expect there are zillions of foreigners who feel the same way about getting care here -- horror stories about lost patients, wrong limb amputation, filthy conditions (in some hospitals), etc., not to mention life-shattering costs.

Your reaction is very understandable, but may not always be valid. Alas, we are not the only place that can deliver good care. Hey, I have practiced here for 33 years and am very proud of the care we have given. I just am not so proud of what has happened to the delivery system.

Meantime, others may have caught up. I wouldn't be terrified of getting my appendix out in most developed countries.

I tend to agree that so much is based on familiarity. I was talking to my wife (Estonian) about medical care. Her perception of the U.S., right or wrong, was that in America doctors prescribe drugs and perform operations unnecessarily just for the money.

We've always found the French to be more friendly as a rule than many countries we've visited. Just takes a little cultural sensitivity, but then again that's true everywhere, and something Americans are not notoriously skillful at.

If you tour with shorts, white sneakers, loud shirt and voice, lots of ready rambunctious laughter and an attitude, better wait til you get home to have your appendix removed ;). You might otherwise wake up to discover that you lost some other organ instead (by accident, of course).

We've always found the French to be more friendly as a rule than many countries we've visited. Just takes a little cultural sensitivity, but then again that's true everywhere, and something Americans are not notoriously skillful at.

If you tour with shorts, white sneakers, loud shirt and voice, lots of ready rambunctious laughter and an attitude, better wait til you get home to have your appendix removed ;). You might otherwise wake up to discover that you lost some other organ instead (by accident, of course).

I again agree here. I've been to France several times over the last 10 years and have had a nice experience each time. What you put into it, you'll get out of it.

I again agree here. I've been to France several times over the last 10 years and have had a nice experience each time. What you put into it, you'll get out of it.

But then you are Estonian? Perhaps the French like Estonians better than they like Amercians.

I have never been to Europe period. Just recalling travel articles from years ago which gave the impression the French had something of an attitude toward Americans. Maybe that impression was never well-founded, or if it was, maybe it has changed.

Sarkozy, for sure, seems to "like" America more than his predecessors.

So you wouldn't put it past the French medical establishment to put a cultural dislike above medical ethics?:-X

So you wouldn't put it past the French medical establishment to put a cultural dislike above medical ethics?:-X

Robert, "no worries, mon." See the little smiley-winky emoticon in the original post? That's generally used to indicated humor, humorous sarcasm, or good-natured teasing. You'll see it a lot around here.

You seem to take literally that I think a French surgeon would intentionally remove your gizzard instead of your appendix, all because you wore a loud shirt to France. Such is not the case.

He might take just a little piece of your kidney to make a point, but never your whole gizzard. ;)

Robert, "no worries, mon." See the little smiley-winky emoticon in the original post? That's generally used to indicated humor, humorous sarcasm, or good-natured teasing. You'll see it a lot around here.

You seem to take literally that I think a French surgeon would intentionally remove your gizzard instead of your appendix, all because you wore a loud shirt to France. Such is not the case.

He might take just a little piece of your kidney to make a point, but never your whole gizzard. ;)

You may very well be making a humourous tease. But how do I know if the French share your sense of humor!!??:eek:

Seeing as how I am getting to the age of having to get up at night once in awhile to go tinkle, I need ALL my kidney pieces intact!

Anyway, as to the French---seriously---any travellers from recent years can attest to their friendliness, lack of attitude to Americans, courtesy, civility to Americans----or attest to the opposite as to French treatment of Americans?

But then you are Estonian? Perhaps the French like Estonians better than they like Amercians.

I'm an American citizen as well. I hold dual citizenships. Last time I was in France I was traveling with my American passport. But I do probably fly under the radar a bit better than your average American since I've lived in Europe for years and speak multiple languages. But I wouldn't say the French would treat you any worse than say an Austrian if you were acting like a dumbass.

Only time I was ever harassed about being an American anywhere (18+ countries I've been to) is by a drunk Scotsman who was appalled at my choice of whiskey. :D

But I wouldn't say the French would treat you any worse than say an Austrian if you were acting like a dumbass.

Only time I was ever harassed about being an American anywhere (18+ countries I've been to) is by a drunk Scotsman who was appalled at my choice of whiskey. :D
Whereas Americans tend to welcome visitors to their country, the French could care less and just prefer to be left alone. This can be misinterpreted as hostility by sensitive travelers.

Back
Top Bottom