Real estate anxiety - spiral staircase

Is there any way to renovate those differently? I'd really want to consider such options before buying such a house. (From the picture, it looks like there may be options without burning much space. And that might be OK if there are continued concerns.)
Was the upstairs bedroom an addition? Was there no other way to get stairs up there?

I hate those staircases and would not consider a house with one. I think a lot of other people feel the same way and you might have trouble with resale. Poorly planned additions are a turnoff as well.
Wife has been digging around on how much a more standard stair option might be and it's less expensive than we were expecting (and less than we'd have to put in on repairs at the other place). Ultimately we need to see the space involved to see if it's an option. I believe that the upstairs master suite and living room was an addition, in which case space may be limited for such a renovation.

As we've talked it out this morning, we think all three of the other bedrooms, including another master suite, are on the first floor. So, we could potentially reserve the upstairs as the guest suite while the children are infant/toddler stage, essentially doing all of our living on that first floor. The upstairs master appears newer and nicer than the downstairs, so I think eventually we would want to be up there. The more we talk about it, the more we like this idea with this layout... but again, still have to walk it and see to be sure.
pb4uski said:
Not sure if you are 'done" on the first house but i would figure out what it would be worth fixed, then deduct the cost of fixing and perhaps a bit more for the aggravation and make them a final proposal.... if they don't accept then walk. If they have had so few offers in a strong market then they must know that they are being too greedy.

On the second house, a friend has a second with with a spiral staircase to the bedrooms. I stayed there for a couple nights... I didn't like the spiral staircases at all... (alcohol may have been a factor :D).... I would pass
We countered their refusal of our first repair request with a lower repair number that's pretty much the bare minimum required to make the house safe and within code. We expect they will either counter much, much lower as they did our first number which was unacceptable, or just serve us with a notice to perform, in which case we're done with it. It's been an interesting couple of weeks with them in negotiations and escrow. At least one of them was not happy with the fact that we requested a roof inspection after the initial home inspector questioned its integrity. They've lived there more than two decades and raised their kids there, so there is undoubtedly a lot of emotion involved. We had similar experience seven years ago when we offered an older lady about 3% below asking on her condo, and she flatly rejected it. More than three months later, her agent contacted our agent to see if our offer was still good. We'd already moved into our new place (which was nicer anyway). She ended up selling at about 15% below asking. She'd lived there almost 30 years and it was her home. To her, it was worth a lot. To buyers, not as much. I think there's a lot of that going on here.

One common thread among internet posts and some posts here is that people with spirals don't seem to mind them, but they are off-putting for those who are not used to them. Admittedly, I agree with that considering I posted the thread for that reason. It's just interesting to me that pretty much anyone that's lived in a house with them for any length of time doesn't have a problem with them. I agree with respect to resale; then again, the first house is split-level so that's an issue for some folks as well.

Last edited:
I have never seen the Brady Bunch, and never watch home shows except at the dentist's office, where I am a captive audience, because all the screens are turned to house and "flipper" shows for some reason.

I hate those shows, especially the women "buyers," with their bleached hair, and the way they all go around inside every house with their noses wrinkled and going sniff-sniff-sniff.

There, I got that off my chest.

Not sure why, but viewing it from this angle makes it seem less intimidating than the photo you posted.

Attachments

• Spiral.PNG
    Spiral.PNG
    907.5 KB · Views: 39
I’d be more concerned with the kids being on the first floor and the master being upstairs. You may not hear a break in or they may find it easy to sneak out as they get older.

hehe love google image search.

I’d be more concerned with the kids being on the first floor and the master being upstairs. You may not hear a break in or they may find it easy to sneak out as they get older.
That's why DW thought we'd just stay in the master downstairs and use the one upstairs for guests.
Not sure why, but viewing it from this angle makes it seem less intimidating than the photo you posted.
Yeah, TV goes on the wall and it's a non-issue. We'll see.
hehe love google image search.
His detective skills are on point, right?

Me, I wouldn't consider one.
I worked for 5 years in a building with an open steel spiral staircase. The building had second floor offices that opened out into a deep balcony that surrounded and overlooked a large first-floor main area on three sides. From the front lobby, a normal wide staircase went up to the second floor, or down to the first floor. The spiral went from the far end of the balcony, down to the open first floor main area, which was the lab area. The quickest route for most from offices to lab was up/down that fool stairway. It was noisy and intrusive. It freaked most people out, and they took the long route to avoid it. Visiting customers really freaked out. Women with skirts said "there HAS to be another way!" Large people stopped at the top, looked down at the open curving monstrosity, and sweated.

IMHO, spiral staircases are often used to mitigate a problem. It is a way of sneaking a stairway in, without taking up much space, or head clearance area when piercing the second floor. Being "see through" it's also like they don't exist, visual-wise, you look right around/through them. They do at first look "neat" when seen at a distance when on the first floor.

I used it for years, it was a real pain. Over time, I used it less and less, walking further to use the regular stairs like many others. Finally, almost no one used it, it became a rarity to see someone on it. I'd never consider one.

Being the only staircase in the house, I would consider it a major sales impediment. As such, dare I say it may even trigger the "Greater Fools" theory?

Last edited:

This.

But otherwise, you would probably get used to the spiral staircase so quickly that you wouldn't even be aware that it was unconventional after a couple of weeks.

You will learn to use leg irons as they get older, as well as strewing rubber squeaky toys all over the floor!:LOL:

I wouldn't consider a house with a spiral staircase either. I've been on them before and find them difficult to navigate. I am also accident prone and any open staircase spells danger for me, and a spiral on top of that would be a disaster. Clearly my name isn't Grace. :)

Also when I was a young child I ran smack into the backside of a spiral staircase, hit one of the stair corners and sliced my forehead open. I didn't see it there because it blended in with decor, it was all dark and metal. The owner of the restaurant that it was in wound up putting rubber "bumpers" on the metal corners after that.

I personally would avoid a home with a spiral staircase.

One common thread among internet posts and some posts here is that people with spirals don't seem to mind them, but they are off-putting for those who are not used to them. Admittedly, I agree with that considering I posted the thread for that reason. It's just interesting to me that pretty much anyone that's lived in a house with them for any length of time doesn't have a problem with them.

I think it's about the same as driving over the bridge. Newcomers and guests are usually nervous about it, but it doesn't bother anyone who's lived here for a while.

If you like everything else about the house I would go for it .From the other angle it looks fine . We have a third floor guest room .It works out great for company since they have their own space a little separate from ours.

It looks to me like you could put a straight staircase along that wall where the mirrored furniture piece is.... I think you would need ~10' for the stairs and perhaps 3' for the landing.

Last edited:
Updates: canceled purchase of the "other" place yesterday. Continued discovery of maintenance issues had kind of sucked the life out of the house for us.

Looking ahead at the new possibility with the spiral staircase, I appreciate everyone's input. Revisiting a couple of key points:

- Seems like most people who've lived with spiral stairs don't have an issue with them, but it is definitely a turnoff to many others. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have posted this thread, I guess! Definitely something to consider from a resale perspective. That said, odds are we will live there a long while, which can mitigate that somewhat, at least from a "loss" perspective.

- We're definitely going to look into a more conventional option once we're able to view it and if we indeed decide to offer. That said, the spiral stairs won't be a show-stopper for us. Ability to live entirely on the first floor with small children and the alternate stair from the outside make it viable day-to-day and moving in and around.

- With respect to kids on the first floor, there is another master suite on the first floor. We'd probably use that one and just live on the single floor, reserving the (nicer) master suite upstairs for guests and for us to move to when the kids are older.

Of course, this is all assuming we like the place otherwise and have a chance to offer... :facepalm:

Appreciate the inputs!

Last edited:
I have never seen the Brady Bunch, and never watch home shows except at the dentist's office, where I am a captive audience, because all the screens are turned to house and "flipper" shows for some reason.

I hate those shows, especially the women "buyers," with their bleached hair, and the way they all go around inside every house with their noses wrinkled and going sniff-sniff-sniff.

There, I got that off my chest.

Women have such fascinating “issues”.

Ha

Back to the spiral staircase....
You are not the only person concerned about them and asking questions. The same issue will most likely come up with your potential buyers should you ever sell. Something to think about....

The big issue is.having small.children on a different floor than the master.suite. That is an automatic no-no. Pass on that house.

Circular stairs are not a positive attribute. Unless conventional stairs even with a landing can be constructed, I'd pass.on that alone.

When I was born, my dad took two weeks off of work, walled-off half of the living room/dining room to create a bedroom for me, and opened up the remainder of the living room by replacing the straight staircase with a wrought-iron spiral. So I grew up with one, and was so used to it that when I entered nursery school I was afraid of the straight staircase and wouldn't go up or down.

I did take a couple of tumbles as a kid, but no actual injuries. And it was loads of fun - I learned how to make a working parachute with that thing, since it had such a nice drop from the top landing to the bottom of the stairs.

I loved it so much that when I inherited my childhood home I left it in during the remodel. Still need to repaint it, though. :D

I've had vertigo in the last few years and when I am "off balance" a spiral staircase is one of the worst things I could try to climb so I avoid them. Also having open stair treads could be a major concern when you get older, too many chances of slipping and falling.
Our retirement house is single level for many reasons.

The big issue is.having small.children on a different floor than the master.suite. That is an automatic no-no. Pass on that house.

Circular stairs are not a positive attribute. Unless conventional stairs even with a landing can be constructed, I'd pass.on that alone.
As mentioned several times, there is a second master suite downstairs where we could stay and use the upstairs master as a guest suite.

And as is obvious in this thread, opinions are mixed on spiral stairs, which is something to consider, but not an automatic concern for us as someplace we intend to live for a decade or more. Thanks for your input.

Quick update here:
- The house with the spiral staircase was taken off the market before we could even see it. Oh well. Made for a good thread!
- We canceled the sale on the prior house with myriad inspection issues.
- We have turned our attention in one of three directions:

1. Older 2-story house (1940s), centrally located to everything and everyone; awesome walkability to park, pool, library, restaurants, grocery, etc., but average schools. (We have a showing tomorrow, could rule this one out.)
  2. Middle-aged 2-story house, built in late 80s, most expensive and needs flooring and kitchen updates, but about a block from our current home in an area we like and are familiar with. Good parks, best schools, access to pool, but fairly isolated from friends and any adult stuff to do. Girls would eventually share a bedroom.
  3. Option in another neighborhood about 25 min from where we are in the hills (rather than coast); about 65-70% of the price of the other two. Single story, built in '90, very good schools, parks and libraries closeby, but not really walkable, pretty good view, probably about as isolated as option 2 in the "burbs". Very close to wife's work (10 min drive vs. 30-35 now), same drive for me in current job (but that's changing in a year anyway, so not an issue).
Biggest advantage of option 3 is increased savings rate for both retirement and the "dream home" when the two girls are old enough to enjoy the area we ultimately want to end up, notionally in 7-10 years or so. Option 1 is a good lifestyle choice for us, but schools aren't quite as good. Option 2 is most financially straining, but probably the best location and the best schools.

Not to worry! All options have our bedroom on the same floor as our children. :LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom