Reasons not to Roth this year

momoney

Recycles dryer sheets
Is it a good idea to take taxable money I plan to use for early retirement and make a Roth contribution this year? There is a very good chance I would take the Roth contribution back out before 59.

I need income for ACA and moving to Roth would reduce interest income a little bit.

I like roths, but without knowing how much of an offset income wise from this interest it's hard to say if it makes sense or solves that particular problem.

I fully funded individual roths for my and my wife this year using money from our taxable accounts, plus funding an equal portion in my 401k.

I probably would make the Roth contribution this year though it's probably not going to make a big difference if you don't keep it in there long. How old are you now?

If you really need more income for ACA there are probably better ways to generate it. Roth conversions for example. But you will need to pay the tax on the conversion from other funds because withheld taxes on a conversion made before 59.5 is an early withdrawal penalty.

Hard to give concrete advice with only a snippet of information.

Back
Top Bottom