Receiving Mail with No Address

I've never noticed whether the Chase branch here has a night deposit box. To deposit a check at the teller, you either have to show ID that matches the account name or have your ATM/Debit card. They have a little card reader on the counter where you enter the PIN to validate it. Alternatively, you can deposit a check at an ATM, which also requires the card/PIN; or via the mobile app, which has a secure login. So for any of those methods there's some kind of verification before the deposit is allowed.

They definitely did not want to let me deposit a check written by me from our Chase account into our daughter's Chase account. I didn't expend any effort trying to get them to consider alternatives such as a For Deposit Only endorsement with no signature or consider forging her signature, since it wasn't that urgent and I could just mail it to her. (This was a few years ago before they had Zelle for electronic transfers.)

The scanning/photo method works because the person whose name is on the check prints it out from his email, endorses it, and makes the deposit himself. It's a regular check at that point. It's not printed with MICR toner, but you don't need that for a mobile deposit anyway.

I have had no difficulty depositing a check written by me into my brother’s Chase account by walking into the branch and doing it in person. I didn’t have to show ID either, and I would always ask them to verify that named matched the account number.

I also do this at my sister’s bank all the time.

OK per the article, this stopped in 2014, but I still thought I did it early 2015. Not sure.oh wait, that article is talking about CASH deposits - different animal.

Last edited:
From an article about when Chase changed it's policy on depositing cash into someone else's account:

<snip>

You might want to find a teller or manager at the branch that actually knows of whence they speak.

And as far as the deposit slip, just go into the bank, pick up a blank one, and write in the account number. I do it all the time.

OK. This is useful. When I get the check I will take it in and see if I can do it. The local branch is very helpful and I am sure will do it if they can. I know the account number so that isn't an issue.

I have had no difficulty depositing a check written by me into my brother’s Chase account by walking into the branch and doing it in person. I didn’t have to show ID either, and I would always ask them to verify that named matched the account number.

I also do this at my sister’s bank all the time.

OK per the article, this stopped in 2014, but I still thought I did it early 2015. Not sure.oh wait, that article is talking about CASH deposits - different animal.

Just to clarify. I have only ever deposited checks that I wrote to my siblings, not from a third party to them. But I agree asking in the bank about the best approach seems like a good idea. They could even get your son on the phone if needed and get him to identify himself, etc.

OK. This is useful. When I get the check I will take it in and see if I can do it. The local branch is very helpful and I am sure will do it if they can. I know the account number so that isn't an issue.

As long as you find someone that doesn't just tell you no because it's easiest and quickest for them and they can't be bothered with you or your questions. Unfortunately it happens all the time, everywhere.

I believe you can endorse the check with

FOR DEPOSIT ONLY

I do that on occasion with our business checks if I am not near our stamp endorsement
If the car dealer will cooperate, they can deposit the check to your son's bank account. We get our realtor to deposit rent checks for us when we are in Mexico. Just make sure they are willing to do it. Your son will have to authorize it.

As long as you find someone that doesn't just tell you no because it's easiest and quickest for them and they can't be bothered with you or your questions. Unfortunately it happens all the time, everywhere.

At least in person you can scope out who looks to be a higher up.

Our limited experience is that third party cheques may get challenged if deposited at the teller station in the bank. Not so when we deposit via ATM.

This may be a quirk of our particular bank, dumb luck, our out of date info since it has been three years or so since the last time we did this. It could also be because the last name of the payee was the same as our last name.

Presumably the son is an adult and can figure this out without mom's help. Since he is confident enough to go to LA to look for a job apparently without any friends to stay with first, then he is competent enough to figure this out, too.

Several easy solutions have been mentioned.

One other way would be to send the deposit with a deposit slip to the banks mail deposit address. (Might want to send it certified mail if large enough). After all the old fashioned way of paying bills was this method.

I'm treasurer of our small HOA and deposit HOA fees checks written by others to our HOA at Chase all the time without being required to to use a debit card (our HOA account doesn't have any) or produce ID. Maybe they know me now but that also seems to be the case at other Chase branches that I only occasionally use. However, I do have to produce ID and/or debit card if making a cash deposit into my own account (the HOA doesn't deal with cash.)

OK. So, I was in the bank today for an entirely different reason and asked the teller. She told me no problem. I could just bring the check in and they would deposit it to his account. So, we'll see.

Presumably the son is an adult and can figure this out without mom's help. Since he is confident enough to go to LA to look for a job apparently without any friends to stay with first, then he is competent enough to figure this out, too.

Well. Maybe so. But, he did ask me how to do this so I don't think he knows. I didn't mind looking into it. But, you know, if he has another solution in mind when the check gets here, that will be fine to.

Several easy solutions have been mentioned.

I know! That is what I love about this forum. On so many things, this is the first place I come for feedback as someone almost always knows how to handle the problem or can make good suggestions. It is so helpful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom