Recent Early Retiree adjustment advice

I have been retired almost 10 years, and am finally reaching real, normal retirement age. After moving to a very low COL area, all I have done is move people around--us twice, the parents.twice and an elderly aunt twice. And some were big moves. We have been swapping out family furniture for better family furniture.

Stay up late and sleep late. Take some international vacations. Get involved in your community and church. The weeks and months will roll around as long as you are busy enough doing exactly what you wish.

I am taking on one last construction project before going into a mode where all I do is cut grass. That will be a defensive approach to maintaining my future health.

I'd offer that volunteering might be the most fulfilling endeavor. If there is something your passionate about, where your talents can be utilized, it can be very rewarding. The hard part is going in as a foot soldier. But, in a good organization, they'll spot premium talent fairly quickly.

I only do 1 to 1.5 days a week, but it's enough. I get back so much more than I give. And, I've been "promoted" as far as I want to go. :)

DH and me think back of bright office lights, loads of e-mails, deadlines, altering our personalities to fit the corporate culture. DH situation was more stressful than mine, but we look back and think how our carefree college days were hijacked when we entered the work world some 30 years ago. We were molded into something that seems alien now.

We've gotten our younger selves back in a way. We laugh and discuss. Whatever activity we enjoy, we do. It can be a long walk one day, volunteering, swimming at the Y, binge watching TV, planning vacations. It's not always together, we have our own interests.

Get to know your young self again. Open those doors that were slammed shut when you left the carefree existence of pre work. Redefine quality time. We used to "hurry up" and do something fun before Monday hit. Now, everyday is the weekend. Enjoy.
This is a really smart, insightful post.

We belong to several clubs, have a lot of hobbies, and especially enjoy live music, live theater and hiking. Between those activities and every day activities like housework, paperwork, yard work and being involved with friends and family we stay pretty booked.

We belong to several clubs, have a lot of hobbies, and especially enjoy live music, live theater and hiking. Between those activities and every day activities like housework, paperwork, yard work and being involved with friends and family we stay pretty booked.

Plus blogging of course. :D

Back
Top Bottom