Recommendation for walking sticks / hiking sticks

I would think some handy pepper spray would be more effective than a stun gun. I would think it would be hard to hit a dog (small object) with a stun gun versus spraying with pepper spray.

I have seen some videos of large dogs attacking a person, and they run so fast across the street and attack it's scary, no warning and it takes them only seconds to get to the victim.

Even pepper spray is hard to aim, a can of bear spray would be nice and handy for walking in remote National Parks.

I'm another Black diamond fan but strongly prefer the fixed length Z-poles. I've had adjustable poles in the past and find they "self adjust" too easily and I spend too much time resetting the length. They come in four fixed lengths to suit most people.

I love the z poles. I first bought the aluminum z poles since I wasn't sure I would like using trekking poles. After the first time I used them I was hooked. I lost one of the poles when out mushroom hunting so I upgraded to the carbon z poles. They are really light weight!

I just found this deal on the carbon z poles, it's a good price:

https://www.backcountryedge.com/bla...IjmgBVzlW4pC-bfywReLs3EaAoRKEALw_wcB#284=2175

DW likes her Black Diamond hiking sticks from REI. (Without bamboo grips). REI recommends against bamboo grips because they get slimy when hands start sweating.

DW has these w/bamboo grips and likes them very much.

I have seen some videos of large dogs attacking a person, and they run so fast across the street and attack it's scary, no warning and it takes them only seconds to get to the victim.

That happened to me yesterday when I went out for a run, the dog came running out from an open gated driveway and by the time I noticed him he was already on me. Luckily he didn't attack, probably just protecting his territory, wouldn't have had time to react with any type of defense if he had.

That happened to me yesterday when I went out for a run, the dog came running out from an open gated driveway and by the time I noticed him he was already on me. Luckily he didn't attack, probably just protecting his territory, wouldn't have had time to react with any type of defense if he had.
Dogs are faster then people and the Tueller drill says you are going to lose against a human. We participated in this drill at a tactical training class. One difference was our weapons were not holstered, already in our hands. Out of 21 students we all failed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

Luckily he didn't attack, probably just protecting his territory, wouldn't have had time to react with any type of defense if he had.

For many decades I've laughed at movies where someone is being chased by a dog, keeps looking back and the dog's no closer. :LOL:

I just purchased a Brazos Walking Stick Brand 'Free Form Twisted Sweet Gum Walking Stick'. The price at the local Ace Hardware was slightly cheaper than listed on the web site. Free Form Twisted Sweet Gum Hiking Stick | Brazos Walking Sticks It is mostly for walking the dog and in case one of my knees gives out like it does once in every other blue moon. I may buy the tips for trail hiking.

While searching on line, I also found this site called 'Irish Walking Sticks' Irish Walking Sticks and Canes | Specialty Blackthorn, Decorative & Collapsible Walking Canes

Last month during a 6 week visit to Chapala, Mexico, DW & I joined up with a hiking club. At least half of those members were using trekking poles made from wooden broom handles that they modified by cutting them to length (if needed) then fashioning a hand grip at one end (either a bicycle grip or tape) and affixing a rubber tip at the other. Although these McGyver-ed trekking poles were not very trendy, fashionable or high-tech, they seemed to work jus as effectively as their more costly, manufactured counterparts.

Thanks for all the replies! Very educational and helpful.

I ended up ordering the item below on sale for 33% off. These only have one adjustable area at the top, so that the height varies from 120 cm to 140 cm. Total weight 17 oz for both.

They come with a one-year "no matter what" return policy from a place called Back Country Edge in PA.

Diamond Distance FLZ Poles Item # BLDD5203M

The Black Diamond Z-Pole Rapid Deployment System consists of a concealed inner cord, a single push-button release and a one-pull deployment. Borrowed from Black Diamond's tested avalanche probes, a center cord provides surprising strength and stability. Similar to tent poles, the sections snap securely into place, resulting in weight savings and increased collapsibility that enables them to take up far less packed space than traditional poles. Sturdy, easy-to-use FlickLock Pro external locking mechanisms on the uppermost shaft sections provide an 8" length adjustability range for varied demands and height requirements.

Non-slip foam grips maintain the minimalist profile while serving as secure hand holds. A short extension to the grip provides a place to choke up on side hill traverses and compact straps help to relieve stress on the wrists.
Two sets of tips are included. Carbide tips deliver solid traction for hard surfaces or ice. Non-marking rubber tips can be used to prevent trail damage and provide grip and durability. An included storage bag protects your poles and includes an integrated pocket to house whichever set of tips you aren't using.

A friend of mine makes his own walking sticks out of sticks he finds on his hikes. He keeps them in pieces of pvc piping to keep them straight while they dry out. He waits a couple of years, takes the bark off, and then puts a finish on them.

A friend of mine makes his own walking sticks out of sticks he finds on his hikes. He keeps them in pieces of pvc piping to keep them straight while they dry out. He waits a couple of years, takes the bark off, and then puts a finish on them.

Because of this thread I have watched on you tube ,some old fellow go from cutting some sticks in the forest to making fancy walking sticks, which I'm sure sell for a high price.

It has also taught me, the walking stick I bought in a garage sale for $2, is slightly short for true hiking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom