Recommended Low Cost Index Fund

C'mon, MickeyD, quit trolling.

There are funds that have beaten the S&P500 over the "long term" (whatever that is). I agree that not just any fund can do it, but there are funds that have done it.

I don't think it's "silly" to be invested in a fund like that. Profitable, yes, but not "silly".

Finding the funds that WILL beat the S&P500 is another problem entirely, worthy of many books.

I think Bogle's points are well made and his message is distorted by your post. Most investors won't spend the time or trouble to find ways to beat the indices, and those investors are better off with index funds.

But those investors who learn & work at investing will profit. "The harder they work, the luckier they get", but it can be done. I won't try to claim that the lifestyle is worth the rewards, but it's achievable.

Now go congratulate yourself that you don't have to work as hard as some of us for your market returns. But don't patronize or make fun of those who do, or of those who may have the potential to become the next Buffett.

Tommy,

Your name says it all. Listen to uncle mick, and do little, except perhaps add 10% VGSIX, Vanguard's REIT Index. Wish I had continued along those lines myself -- I'd be wealthier. Also, avoid getting bitten by the prancing horse.

db

Tongue in cheek wise - back in 98 added 10% VGSIX after reading Bernstein - promptly got hosed by Mr Market, hung on - 'don't just stand there, do nothing' - per Bogle and let the Vanguard computers rebalance the balanced index (Lifestrategy moderate).

How's that for name dropping? - heh, heh, heh.

Back
Top Bottom