Tax Harvesting IRA With Cash Long Term Capital Loss

CatinKS

Recycles dryer sheets
I sold a cash mutual fund that rebounded to my original cost basis less the dividends. In short, my long-term dividends loss was 5k. Can I sell any IRA funds for tax harvesting vs the mutual fund cash trade? Honestly, have never touch any retirement money, living on cash money and some part-time employment. When I look at my IRA accounts, the funds are not broken down as long term or short-term income gains. Are Cash and IRA accounts separate, or can this be combined come April 2025 tax season? I'm in the 10% tax bracket, due to my living off of my cash accounts. Yes, I could ask a CPA this question, but I am sure it is so obvious of an answer thought I would ask my friends here.

I don't understand "long-term dividends loss". Did you mean "long-term capital loss"?

Gains and losses within an IRA have no* effect on your taxes.

*With the rare exception of wash sales involving the same investment in both your taxable and IRA accounts.

People here can answer the question, but you need to be more precise:

What did you pay to buy the cash mutual fund. ?
What price did you sell it at. ?
Where was this cash mutual fund, as in was it in an IRA or Roth or 401K or taxable brokerage account. ?
All those affect the capital gains.

The dividends you got each year are a separate issue.

If you don't have a capital gain to offset the capital loss, you get to deduct $3000 of regular income. The remainder of the loss carries over to the next year.

I guess this was a brokered CD that you sold in the market? I'm not familiar with that to know if it counts as a capital loss. SevenUp's post is spot on about all of this.

If you don't have a capital gain to offset the capital loss, you get to deduct $3000 of regular income. The remainder of the loss carries over to the next year.

This is very helpful response. Will help with CD cash interest and any IRA that I sell.

income generated by the sale of funds in a traditional IRA is taxed when that money is transferred out of the IRA account. It is taxed as normal income. It cannot be used to offset a capital gain or loss in a non-IRA account to minimize taxes. There is no concept of tracking cap gains or losses in an IRA. It is just regular income when it comes out of the account.

Anything you hold in your Traditional IRA is held without taxation until you take money from the IRA. You cannot claim capital gains/losses for holdings in your IRA account.

When you take a distribution it will be taxed at your regular income tax rate (subject to certain adjustments for post-tax deposits made, if any). See form 8606 for details.

Please elaborate what a cash mutual fund is. It sounds like a money market fund, in which case they are all at a $1 per share constant price so there would be no capital gain or loss on a sale.

Back
Top Bottom